• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 mfortunato

mfortunato

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:43 PM

Also, I wanted to mention my intent of going back and looking at my 1 and 0 starred photos and taking a moment to really consider if I 'need' those photos - all too often I find myself wanting to keep multiple versions of the same shot (vertical, horizontal, in close, far away) 'just in case' I'll want that orientation, etc. 

I know that is kind of silly, as it always magically works out, no matter what, so I should be more comfortable just keeping the photos that I enjoy vs. all the extras shots as 'back-ups'. 

I think a key component of this system is something Stacy mentioned - regularly spending time with your photos. In the past I didn't enjoy working with my photos - so many steps and decisions to made then there was photo processing and ordering - argh!

Now, I am seeing how much a difference it makes to spend time in your photo manager when you aren't uploading, editing, or ordering prints; it gives you a chance to enjoy your photos, familiarize yourself with what is there, and with what stories you are excited to tell (i.e. if you aren't excited by a photo, or to tell a story, maybe it shouldn't be a 2 star). 

Ok, enough rambling for now!

I definitely understand where you're coming from in wanting to delete duplicates, but want to give one suggestion: Be sure to keep at least one shot that shows context (if you have it) - the room or a car or other people in the background. Things you might be tempted to crop out now can become really interesting and/or important details years down the road.

• Julie Paradise and edsen1 like this

#62 p7eggyc

p7eggyc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 02:31 PM

I hadn't quite finished the last segment before the chat today.  I hadn't yet heard Stacy say...the system has no deadlines is a weakness of the system.  This is totally my biggest struggle (in more than just scrapbooking).  I was wondering if others have found good strategies to counter this weakness (let's face it, it's my weakness, not LOM's. LOL)

Since I took LOM at BPC I have inherited all of my parent's pictures and they have created this giant 'issue' in my mind, at least, that seems to have paralyzed me across all scrapbooking. I have reels and reels of slides that need to be dealt with plus a big batch of prints that are partially sorted (they scrapbooked too).  I have long ago ceased event scrapbooking and haven't even done much at all with my last few big vacations because that doesn't really speak to me anymore either.  I want to get the rubies out of this stuf so I can get those scanned and maybe scrapbooked and I want to get rid of the rest so my nieces don't inherit this batch of stuff that is really like having sand in your shoes. :)

Anyway, I know I do better with some sort of accountability or built in time to work on things like this where someone else has some expectation of me doing it.  Does anyone have experiences of making this work for them??

Thanks!

Peg in CO

PS) Thanks Stacy and Noell....this is an awesome thing you did!   These courses really work well for me where the videos were just another big batch of content I paid for (oh, the courses at BPC that went incomplete) and didn't view.  These I can consume easily and they have both really inspired me.  Hope it works for you in a good way that you can keep producing them!

• Julie Paradise likes this

#63 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 07:12 PM

Augh! How did I miss this Webinar again? I knew it was today and kept checking here, email, and Instagram for notifications, but didn't get anything. Hope it's recorded? :(

#64 edsen1

edsen1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 06:27 AM

I definitely understand where you're coming from in wanting to delete duplicates, but want to give one suggestion: Be sure to keep at least one shot that shows context (if you have it) - the room or a car or other people in the background. Things you might be tempted to crop out now can become really interesting and/or important details years down the road

Good point to keep in mind! I did Jennifer Wilson's Before Your Story this fall and that was definitely one thing I noticed about the photos I was drawn to - they weren't of my birthday cake or my Christmas gifts, they were the photos that depicted relationships (as Stacy has said time and time again!), a slice of life (orange shag carpeting, 'coppertone' colored appliances, phones with cords!), or personality. This has actually already impacted how I take photos and what photos I'm choosing for my current scrapbook projects, but in my current zeal for purging and deleting, I could definitely be letting go of potential gems for the future! That is probably the trick, not keeping so many photos they overwhelm you and you can't find the 'good stuff' (which is why Stacy recommends starring) and to not delete so many you lose a feel for the times. Thanks for the reminder!

• janygb143 and Julie Paradise like this

#65 edsen1

edsen1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 06:32 AM

I hadn't quite finished the last segment before the chat today.  I hadn't yet heard Stacy say...the system has no deadlines is a weakness of the system.  This is totally my biggest struggle (in more than just scrapbooking).  I was wondering if others have found good strategies to counter this weakness (let's face it, it's my weakness, not LOM's. LOL)

Since I took LOM at BPC I have inherited all of my parent's pictures and they have created this giant 'issue' in my mind, at least, that seems to have paralyzed me across all scrapbooking. I have reels and reels of slides that need to be dealt with plus a big batch of prints that are partially sorted (they scrapbooked too).  I have long ago ceased event scrapbooking and haven't even done much at all with my last few big vacations because that doesn't really speak to me anymore either.  I want to get the rubies out of this stuf so I can get those scanned and maybe scrapbooked and I want to get rid of the rest so my nieces don't inherit this batch of stuff that is really like having sand in your shoes. :)

Anyway, I know I do better with some sort of accountability or built in time to work on things like this where someone else has some expectation of me doing it.  Does anyone have experiences of making this work for them??

Thanks!

Peg in CO

PS) Thanks Stacy and Noell....this is an awesome thing you did!   These courses really work well for me where the videos were just another big batch of content I paid for (oh, the courses at BPC that went incomplete) and didn't view.  These I can consume easily and they have both really inspired me.  Hope it works for you in a good way that you can keep producing them!

Peg, are you a member of any scrapbooking groups? You may be able to find someone to act as your accountability 'buddy', or you could make a 'public declaration' of your plans which may make you more likely to follow through with it. It would probably help to be part of a group of like minded people, who understand how it can seem like an insurmountable task and maybe offer tips, tricks, and encouragement along the way. 

For me the key to doing something like this is definitely baby steps; break the whole into small doable tasks so you can complete it bit by bit and get a sense of small victories as you go. 

Good luck!

• janygb143 likes this

#66 p7eggyc

p7eggyc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:00 AM

Augh! How did I miss this Webinar again? I knew it was today and kept checking here, email, and Instagram for notifications, but didn't get anything. Hope it's recorded? :(

It was recorded but it also was a bonus for folks that purchased during the initial few days of the release. Is it possible you weren't eligible?  The notice came through email and you had to register for it. 

HTH!

Peg

• janygb143 likes this

#67 p7eggyc

p7eggyc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:03 AM

Peg, are you a member of any scrapbooking groups? You may be able to find someone to act as your accountability 'buddy', or you could make a 'public declaration' of your plans which may make you more likely to follow through with it. It would probably help to be part of a group of like minded people, who understand how it can seem like an insurmountable task and maybe offer tips, tricks, and encouragement along the way. 

For me the key to doing something like this is definitely baby steps; break the whole into small doable tasks so you can complete it bit by bit and get a sense of small victories as you go. 

Good luck!

I have some friends that scrapbook and I did have some good luck meeting up with them 1x per month most months last year.  This is the perfect strategy, you're right, but my experience is it is difficult to find the 'right' person to do this with.  I have had the same experience with exercise buddies.  When I've had the right one, it's been perfect for me but once that fell apart, I've not found another one. 

Thanks for the feedback!

Peg

• edsen1 likes this

#68 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:44 AM

Hi Peg, yeah, I signed up the first day it was released, but bc I used my husband's PayPal it went to him and he deleted it before telling me about it. My mistake. I missed the one with Shimelle for the same reason and I should have remembered to fix it. Just one of those weeks! :/

Oh, and I've found that works for me is putting a note on my to-do list every day. I write "photos" with 4 checkboxes next to it, and each checkbox represents 10-15 minutes of photo triage. I set a timer, which has helped immensely. I used to just keep sorting until I got bored, but when I started setting a timer, I realized that my energy started to wane after only 8-9 minutes, and I wasn't very productive after that. Limiting myself has made a huge difference. 4 sessions of sorting is "wishful thinking", so I'm happy if I get 1-2 done in a day!
  • anandi, Julie Paradise and edsen1 like this

#69 ajohnson

ajohnson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 01:01 PM

Does anyone know when the question/answer recording will be available. I was not able to attend and not sure if I was suppose to attend to get the recording. Just looking for something new to listen too and I remember this might be available. ~Ann 

• janygb143 and bestcee like this

#70 cookielou75

cookielou75

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 04:50 PM

Not sure if anyone is still reading here but I was curious to see how the Mac users set up the smart albums in the new Photos software.  My problem is I would like to include both favorites and 2 star photos but if I set the album for "all" criteria, it won't populate anything because I don't rate the photos both 2 stars and a favorite and if I choose "any" then it will be all of my favorites.   If I am missing something in the setting up of the smart album, please let me know!  

#71 Alissa@lifeonlakeland

Alissa@lifeonlakeland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:19 AM

I just finished listening to the deep dive while refreshing the album spine labels and title cards for my LOM albums. I took Stacy's course the first time she offered it and have loved this system for a long time; however since I started project life in 2012 I abandoned storage albums and neglected my category drawers. I'm now ready to refresh my system and am exciting about getting back into the LOM frame of mine. I'm probably not doing project life in 2016 and I'm back to scrapbooking pages. For the second half of 2015 I made a layout in each of the four categories for each month and loved that approach.

Is anyone else refreshing the system? I realized that while I mistakenly thought i didn't need storage binders I really do. And I might even treat myself and buy new ones - I like the two up ones - I have the "original" three up ones. I took so many notes and had a few great aha's while listening I can't wait to listen again and gain more insight.

Love this course!

• janygb143 and bestcee like this

#72 IAmMikki

IAmMikki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:42 PM

I purchased this Deep Dive audio course the day it came out and I've poured over it and now I'm ready to tackle my photo organization. I just purchased Lightroom and I'm in the process of going through my photos, deleting the one's I don't need and I'd like to start starring my photos.

Question: What do you do with 3-star photos if you've already scrapbooked them?

#73 edsen1

edsen1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:27 PM

I purchased this Deep Dive audio course the day it came out and I've poured over it and now I'm ready to tackle my photo organization. I just purchased Lightroom and I'm in the process of going through my photos, deleting the one's I don't need and I'd like to start starring my photos.

Question: What do you do with 3-star photos if you've already scrapbooked them?

I use Lightroom to organize my photos and have started 'flagging' the ones I have printed, that way I can set up my smart collection to show me photos based on their star rating as well as if they are flagged (printed) or not.  Hope this helps!

• IAmMikki and janygb143 like this

#74 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:50 PM

I use Collection/Collection Sets to keep track of what's been scrapbooked (I make digital pages). I have a Set for "Projects in Progress" and every digital layout gets a Collection in that Set. I also have a separate Collection/Set for pics that I've randomly printed, or uploaded to FB. That way, if someone asks me to email them a full-size copy of something I printed or posted, I don't have to dig very far!

#75 nana2callie

nana2callie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:22 AM

Are you just using a specific flag color to indicate printed in Lightroom.

#76 nana2callie

nana2callie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:06 AM

When flagging your photo "printed" in LR - can you be more specific?  Exactly how do you flag it - I'm trying to find a process with LR that doesn't drive me insane.

#77 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:19 PM

Hi Nana, I don't use that particular system, but "flagging" in LR typically means marking a photo (using a keyboard shortcut or clicking on the little flag icon). Here's a pretty good explanation of how flags work (though a little outdated, but basics should be similar).
http://laurashoe.com...-a-photo-shoot/
Also, maybe run a search in the Paperclipping forums for "Lightroom". There are quite a few threads over the years, and might be some helpful tips for creating a workable/liveable LR system :) Good luck!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users