76 replies to this topic

#41 HelenH

HelenH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 08:29 AM

Hi edsen1, I looked at a random month (Aug 2013). Here are the stats: 76 photos, 22 deleted (I think), 54 in my library. Of these: 16 3star, 14 2star, 3 1star. This means 21 unstarred, 33 in my smart album, 30 printed.

My process is - first I look at a set and delete (ruthlessly). Then I pick the 3stars, the ones I love best. Not everything is best! Later, I'll go through the whole month and assign 2stars. Then I upload and print.

I make choices based on the numbers. E.g. we moved my son to college. I saved 5 photos of the car packed up. I picked 2 as 3star, the rest are 2star. I printed all of them, though I'm not sure how many I actually scrapped. For his dorm room, I took one photo of the room number as a 1star, which I didn't print.

Hope this helps!

-Helen

• janygb143 and edsen1 like this

#42 edsen1

edsen1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 06:22 PM

Hi edsen1, I looked at a random month (Aug 2013). Here are the stats: 76 photos, 22 deleted (I think), 54 in my library. Of these: 16 3star, 14 2star, 3 1star. This means 21 unstarred, 33 in my smart album, 30 printed.

My process is - first I look at a set and delete (ruthlessly). Then I pick the 3stars, the ones I love best. Not everything is best! Later, I'll go through the whole month and assign 2stars. Then I upload and print.

I make choices based on the numbers. E.g. we moved my son to college. I saved 5 photos of the car packed up. I picked 2 as 3star, the rest are 2star. I printed all of them, though I'm not sure how many I actually scrapped. For his dorm room, I took one photo of the room number as a 1star, which I didn't print.

Hope this helps!

-Helen

Thanks for a peek at your process!

I was doing some work tonight while watching movies with my family and it is clear I haven't found my groove on rating photos yet; I think I need to change my approach, at first I thought I'd want to 3 star photos that have a story I wanted to/could/have not yet told; but then the challenge is if I'm only 3 starring my very favorite photos, then what is left to tag for category drawers? I guess this is why Stacy said it would take time to create those drawers. 

Still lots to think on and to practice!

#43 Nixmom96

Nixmom96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 07:20 PM

About halfway through. Learning. Enjoying. Just wanted to throw out a strong recommendation for ScanMyPhotos. I have sent them approximately 8,000 photos of varying sizes from 1930-2015 for scanning. Zero issues. No affiliation. Just a happy customer who would never have gotten 8000 photos scanned on her own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • anandi and Krystal K like this

#44 L Squared

L Squared

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:48 AM

Thanks for a peek at your process!

I was doing some work tonight while watching movies with my family and it is clear I haven't found my groove on rating photos yet; I think I need to change my approach, at first I thought I'd want to 3 star photos that have a story I wanted to/could/have not yet told; but then the challenge is if I'm only 3 starring my very favorite photos, then what is left to tag for category drawers? I guess this is why Stacy said it would take time to create those drawers. 

Still lots to think on and to practice!

I was excited to learn Stacy's tip of digital management to parallel the physical system. The way I understood it - and plan on trying is - to 3 star the best (would want to print & scrap) and those are your albums - then you just tag a few of those, since only a few of the physical printed would make it to the category drawers. 

#45 L Squared

L Squared

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:50 AM

I was working on our Christmas Card & it made me excited to implement this system. I was trying to find some of our favorite photos from the year to do as a collage on the back of the card, I found myself thinking - if only I had been 5 (my 3) staring my favorites all year this would be so fast. 

#46 L Squared

L Squared

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:53 AM

@LSquared, I think a tag would work!

Here's my less-simple method (but it works, so I keep going :)): I use Lightroom. I have a Collection Set of "Pages In Progress" where I put used or going-to-be used photos in a Collection based on the potential name of the layout (I.e. LO: Christmas 2014). In the Library, LR shows a little tag in the corner of photos that are contained in a Collection, and if you right-click on it, it will show the names of every Collection the photo is in. That helps me know what I've used. Usually I still have to go look at the layout to see what made the final cut :) hope that gives you another idea!

This is great - I'm just getting use to LR collections. So are these then manual and not smart collections? This would make starting a page so fast. Thanks for the tips.

#47 L Squared

L Squared

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:55 AM

@LSquared. I am not a digital scrapbooker but I use a tag "Scrapbooked Highlights" - All my photos are put in digital storage binders by quarter and once the pictures are scrapbooked they are moved to a digital cold storage area by using the above tag. This way, the photo is still star rated and just out of photos that need to be scrapped. ~Ann

Thanks for posting this. I hadn't put together a smart collection before - but now I see I can tell it not to include certain tags. So if I wanted to use them as category drawers or albums I could just have it not show me ones I've already scrapped. Great solution.

#48 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:55 AM

@LSquared, yes, they're manual collections. I often store pictures there for months, years before I'm ready to start a page. They're really like my manual Category Drawers (but more specific, know what I mean?). Right now, I have a Collection Set for Pages In Progress and another Set for Archived Projects. Until I can get into a good system for starring and making automatic category drawers, it will have to work! My goal for the new year :)
  • ajohnson and L Squared like this

#49 ajohnson

ajohnson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:22 AM

Here is my thought on tagging. I probably over tag. I have my tags organized in the Who, What, Where and Events as top tier tags and then under that I have sub tier tags. When I initially run my photos through their first run, I tag everything. Who is in the photo, what are we doing, where are we and such, delete the bad ones and I then go through and rate them on a 1-3 basis. If I do this monthly, it takes me a few minutes to do this task. I then have smart collections set up that capture the 2 and 3 star photos.

When I am ready to print, I can print them all if I want, which of course causes me to have a bunch of photos but it is easier for me to sort through them in paper than on the computer. I may change this for 2016 and just print the three star at the developer and print the supporting ones at home. (this is still a work in progress) 

The reason I over tag is because remember the days when you had to write on the back of every photo on who/what was the photo about. If I don't get around to scrapbooking the photos, at least my digital system can identify them as the years go by. I have created a system and since I do it monthly, it is not so overwhelming. This did take me some time to set up and and get a system but with time it really is a good one. 

If I want to find a connection, I can always create a smart collection in Lightroom and can find those specific items. If I want to find my best photos, a smart collection can make that happen. 

After listening to this course again, I have gone through some of my tags and combined them and even moved some around and deleted. For me, it is easier to create the tag at the moment, tag the photo and delete the tag if I don't think I will need it, then going back through hundreds of photos to look for the one picture. 

Happy tagging ~Ann 

• janygb143 likes this

#50 AnnieB49

AnnieB49

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 30 November 2015 - 05:26 PM

In lesson 4 Stacey talks about a "bubble chart" that included the downloads. I can't seem to find it. Help!

#51 L Squared

L Squared

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:00 PM

I've rated and tagged 2 months using this system. I find that I don' that i don't have many 2 stars - what are other people thinking about when they 2 star photos?

Also are you including 2 starts in the smart albums (or printing) or just 3 star? I do like looking at less photos next to each other.

Lastly I'm wondering if people are deleting? I've flagged a few photos in lightroom as rejected but just give most a 1 star. 

#52 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 01 December 2015 - 08:59 PM

I don't tag or star. I did for a bit and it just took so long I dropped it. What I've always done, since going digital, is to keep my photos in folders in Windows Explorer. Top folder Pictures, then years, then dates year-month-date. I use Photo Gallery (I think it's a Windows program) and it automatically imports my photos from our cameras or phones this way, putting them in the right folders. Then once a month I go through the folders, delete any immediately garbage photos, and name the folders with who and a brief description of what we were doing.

Then when I'm ready to place a print order, I go through the folders, choose the ones I want to print, edit them, save them as file name_edited and upload to Persnickety.

I can always put my eyeballs on the photos I'm looking for because (at this stage of my life, at least) I know within one year what year the photo was taken and generally what time of year it was taken. I read the folder names and there it is.  

I can also search my Pictures folder, as I did the other day. I was looking for a photo of my FIL's model train set, as we could not remember what scale it was. I knew we had photos of him with it, so I just searched for "train" and up popped all the photos in a folder with "train" in the name. We found the photos (and several others of my much younger boys during their train phase).

So far my system seems to work for me. I keep rethinking the tagging. Never sure if I should be doing it, but I like the folders the way I have them. I only worry that maybe only I can find stuff, and nobody else will be able to once I'm not around.

• Julie Paradise likes this

#53 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:20 AM

@L Squared - the first thing I do when I go through my photos is delete the ones I don't want to keep at all - culling multiple shots, bad shots, etc.  Otherwise it's just too overwhelming to sort through (for me).  Stacy mentioned it briefly, I think, that there are digital ones she deletes (I noticed because I was wondering the same thing). 

It's much easier for me to mark Rejected using the keyboard 'X' key and then use the menu option for "Delete All Rejected Photos" in Lightroom - makes it quick :)  In general, I tend to delete half to 60% of the total.

• L Squared, janygb143 and MiaScraps like this

#54 bethany_jean

bethany_jean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:35 PM

I have finished listening to all the sessions, and I'm now going back to listen to them again! I have heard of and read about Library of Memories before, but now I really want to jump in and do it. I'm tired of my chronological albums; they're just not exciting and no one wants to look at them. But I'm wondering - what should I do first? I'm feeling a little overwhelmed! Should I go through my albums and start culling layouts into categories? Should I start sorting and tagging my digital pictures? Should I look through my already-printed pictures? I know I can't do everything all at once and it's a long process, but I'd just like to have a few places to start. So if Noell or Stacy or anyone else who's done this before can give me some advice, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!

• janygb143 likes this

#55 bethany_jean

bethany_jean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:25 AM

So I decided to go ahead and move a few layouts into an "All About Us" album, and it was almost instantaneous joy! Just looking at those layouts together made me so happy. This is our story, and those layouts really show who we are as a family. I'm so excited to continue moving layouts and see how this system evolves for me. But thank you, thank you for having these audio courses! They have really changed how I scrapbook, and I think they will definitely result in more and deeper stories being told!

• L Squared, janygb143 and anandi like this

#56 bestcee

bestcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 03 December 2015 - 07:18 PM

Bethany_jean: I'm looking at time. If I have 15 minutes, I'll sort photos. If I have a hour, I'll pull an album. We do not have space for me to leave everything all over, at least until after Christmas. So for the next few weeks, I'm focusing on my photos.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

#57 bestcee

bestcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 03 December 2015 - 07:24 PM

Laura - I was like you labeling the photos. Unfortunately, that means that when I found some old CDs with photos that were labeled by camera name I ended up with duplicates. Personally, I also would have a shot of my dad and brother that was more a relationship type photo in the middle of a birthday party folder. So I'm really enjoying moving outside the folder system. But it's gotta be what works for you.

So, my new plan has been tagging the photos in LR. Because I can save LR to the Metadata and not have to redo my work again!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

#58 edsen1

edsen1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:44 PM

I've rated and tagged 2 months using this system. I find that I don' that i don't have many 2 stars - what are other people thinking about when they 2 star photos?

Also are you including 2 starts in the smart albums (or printing) or just 3 star? I do like looking at less photos next to each other.

Lastly I'm wondering if people are deleting? I've flagged a few photos in lightroom as rejected but just give most a 1 star. 

L Squared - 

I've tried some different variations of tagging/starring over the years and since listening to this audio course. As of now, I'm approaching it like this: 3 stars = photos I REALLY love, 2 stars = the photos that BEST tell a story I want to scrap, 1 star = photos that support telling that story, but aren't crucial (may be similar are just show supporting details), 0 star = like, want to keep, but won't scrapbook

I go through a month and delete duplicates, shaky/blurred, etc photos before starring. Then I go through and 3 star. A big shift came for me when I approached the 3 star process by just looking at the photos themselves, and not attaching them to stories. It became easier to separate it this way. After that is done, I go through again to apply 2, 1, and 0 star ratings.

I plan to use this approach and print a combination of newer and older photos to get me started and then re-evaluate as I evolve the system to my needs (vs. doing the process for 10 years of photos, printing it all out, and then realizing I wanted to do it differently.) I will definitely plan on printing all of my 3 star photos and then select my 2 (and possibly 1) star photos based on what I want to scrapbook.

I realize this has been tough for me because I typically print for specific layouts or projects in mind, so it's a challenge to wrap my head around printing more freely. 

As for tagging, Stacy's system is to only tag a handful of your BEST photos (not all of your photos or even all of your 3 star photos), as this would represent a digital version of the category drawers. 

I hope this helps you as I do enjoy seeing how this process is going for everyone else!

• L Squared likes this

#59 edsen1

edsen1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:17 PM

Also, I wanted to mention my intent of going back and looking at my 1 and 0 starred photos and taking a moment to really consider if I 'need' those photos - all too often I find myself wanting to keep multiple versions of the same shot (vertical, horizontal, in close, far away) 'just in case' I'll want that orientation, etc. 

I know that is kind of silly, as it always magically works out, no matter what, so I should be more comfortable just keeping the photos that I enjoy vs. all the extras shots as 'back-ups'. 

I think a key component of this system is something Stacy mentioned - regularly spending time with your photos. In the past I didn't enjoy working with my photos - so many steps and decisions to made then there was photo processing and ordering - argh!

Now, I am seeing how much a difference it makes to spend time in your photo manager when you aren't uploading, editing, or ordering prints; it gives you a chance to enjoy your photos, familiarize yourself with what is there, and with what stories you are excited to tell (i.e. if you aren't excited by a photo, or to tell a story, maybe it shouldn't be a 2 star). 

Ok, enough rambling for now!

• L Squared likes this

#60 mfortunato

mfortunato

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:38 PM

I have the Rubbermaid photo storage containers that were discussed in today's chat with Stacy, and I like them fairly well. They do have the mechanism for keeping the photos vertical, but I do agree somewhat about the problem with lids :P

Stacy mentioned that they were pretty expensive at Staples, but here's a link to a set of 6 at Amazon for $63.13 (free shipping), so MUCH cheaper: http://www.amazon.co...ge box set of 6

and here's another link for individual boxes on sale for $6.99 (I didn't check on shipping there): http://www.farmandfl...CFdgOgQod9VcMNw

They might not be quite as nice as the drawers, but if you can't afford those, these work as an alternative.

• edsen1 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users