#21 Scrappy Angel

Scrappy Angel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationBrampton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 14 November 2015 - 07:53 AM

I just listened to the part about the metal category drawers. I took LOM in 2013 and when we came to the lesson about getting these drawers I thought "I can't get those; they are too expensive". But I decided to take the plunge and get two units. It was the best decision to make. They are totally worth it. They are very sturdy, easy to access and holds a ton of photos. If you afford it, I would totally encourage you to get these. Of all the aspects of the LOM system I've adopted, the category drawers are by far the best!
  • Noell and mshanhun like this

#22 HelenH

HelenH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 07:01 PM

Stacy's "tickle" file is similar to the David Allen Getting Things Done tickler file. (from lesson #5).

• Noell likes this

#23 Trrrracey

Trrrracey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationCentral Ohio

Posted 15 November 2015 - 09:34 PM

LOVE these courses, and I can't get enough of them. Stacy's personality and approach to organization could not be any more different than mine, so I probably enjoyed the Story-Centered album course a little more, but I definitely don't regret purchasing this course. I could listen to people describe their processes in detail all day long, because I'm curious about what others are doing and always learn something for myself.

I think the "big idea"/philosophy of the Photo Freedom system resonates with me a lot more than the prescriptive parts about how to put the system in action, but I still enjoyed the course overall.

Excited to go back and listen to the course with Shimelle again, so I can compare and contextualize. Can't wait for the next one!

• Noell, janygb143, mshanhun and 1 other like this

#24 terriOMG

terriOMG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationWest Bloomfield, Michigan

Posted 15 November 2015 - 11:36 PM

Does anyone have any tips about how to load the photo freedom mp3s on to my iPhone? Apparently, iTunes tells me they aren't allowed to be loaded via iCloud. It's all so confusing when I just got used to the last version of iTunes... now Apple music has changed everything.

I can't get them into my library with iTunes... I need to go to the Apple store and get some "schoolin'" apparently. :(

#25 ajohnson

ajohnson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:05 AM

Noell/Stacy - 

First of all, I love this course. I just finished segment 3. This is exactly what I needed to get back on track. I took this class last time it was offered and fell off course. Earlier this year, I started reviewing the material again and listening to you talk about it really brings things back into motion. 

I have a question:  As I said, I just finished segment 3 and you talked a little about digital photo organization. I don't want to get caught up in all this as I am a traditional scrapbooker but I am a little worried I have too many keywords and wonder how you handle this. Currently I use Lightroom and I have my keywords broken down by Who, What, Where, Events, with sub-keywords under these. When I upload my photos, I do very basic keywording and rate my photos. I then have smart collections set up where all my 2 and 3 star photos fall into. From here is where I print. I also have 4 smart collections of my LOM categories and these just contain my 3 star photos. You mentioned not to over keyword your photos but that is the only way I can create smart collections in Lightroom is through using keywords. So here is where I am confused. If I wanted a subcategory under the smart collection "things we do", "boating", I need a keyword "boating" to make this happen. - but I just may have had an Aha moment - So would your digital category drawers just be your best photos of "boating'?

Hope that make sense. I would love to sit down live with you and ask these questions.  Thank you again for your inspiration! ~Ann

• janygb143 and mshanhun like this

#26 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:29 AM

Along with Ann's question, I was wondering: what do you do if you have a system in place that's more complicated than Stacy suggests, but it's working? I'd love to simplify, but I've been keywording ALL of my photos since 2007. At this point, it's part of my workflow and I use that feature to (rather quickly) find what I'm looking for. I hate how tedious it is, but it's so helpful for me.

Also, my star ratings have different meanings (because I started using those prior to the class, too) - 3 star photos are awesome, 2 star are ok, and 1 star are blurry but have meaning. I'm often using a variety of starred and unstarred photos to make a page. Building Category Drawers in the suggested way isn't very feasible, so I just manually drag them to a collection as I stumble across pics!

Should I just continue to do what I'm doing? Lol
  • ajohnson likes this

#27 sugarlandnana

sugarlandnana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 17 November 2015 - 04:50 PM

I have never taken the LOM course with Stacy because I "discovered" it after she taught it last at BPC, so I bought the Photo Freedom book and began trying to implement the systems. I bought binders (I use the WRM 6x12 3-ring binders), category drawers and library albums (again WRM). I already had cold storage boxes, etc. After figuring out my categories and sub-categories and setting up all my files, I began to tackle my photos. A little background here - I am 64 years old with 2 adult children and 1 grandchild. I have enjoyed photography all my adult life and as a result, I have hundreds of prints from the mid 70's until around 2003 when I began shooting digital. I have all the developers envelopes sorted by years, but I also have large containers full of random single prints most of which would be very difficult to date. Also, my husband was a local radio personality here in Houston for over 30 years and I can't begin to count all the photos we have of him with various music artists, local and national celebrities, etc. On top of that, he and I have inherited ALL of our families of origin photos and memorabilia. I feel totally overwhelmed by all of this, but I really want to get it all in some semblance of order. There are some things that I simply cannot date and I'm considering organizing some photos simply by category, i.e. my husband's radio related photos. Do you think it's okay to organize some photos that way if I can't date them? If I were to search for those particular photos, I wouldn't have a clue what year to look for, but if I have an archival box of his radio photos, I would know to look there. Not sure if I'm making any sense, but any guidance you might have would be so appreciated.

I absolutely love this course and I'm listening through it for the second time. Noell, I was waiting for your email the day it was released and I bought it instantly and began listening. I'm looking forward to the Q&A with you and Stacy and hoping to get more of my questions answered. Thanks so much for doing this!

Cindy Hames

• janygb143 and Julie Paradise like this

#28 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 07:50 PM

Just finished Part 5! My "family words file" and "slice of life" file are an iPhone app, MomentDiary (free, I think). It date/time-stamps every entry, and allows you to search notes or export as an email. I just start every quote or random thought with "KidName:" and I can pull up all the notes about that kid. If I don't have time to type it on my phone, I scribble a note on a piece of paper, leave it on my desk, and try to enter it within the next day or so. It's one of my favorite places to look for stories!!

#29 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 07:53 PM

@sugarlandnana I would totally put the radio photos in their own box/pile and not worry about dating them. (I'm not an expert though :))

#30 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:23 AM

Hey, I think I understand @Paulette's question. I thought Stacy was planning to teach Photo Freedom again in January 2016, so how will that differ from the audio course?

I'm wondering the same- I took LOM in 2009(11? Oh, all the years are blending together...) so I only want to refine my process. And who can pass up a Stacy class?!?!?

#31 ajohnson

ajohnson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:53 AM

I finished listening to all the segments and what a wonderful addition the everything I have learned in the past. I have struggled with this system for a long time in organizing my layouts. I do the storage binders, category drawers and cold storage but when it came to my albums I waffled back and forth. Chronological vs LOM. I like Jennifer Wilson's approach but then I can't stand the idea of having an album for every year. The overwhelm of albums makes be shake. I like the concept of project life but then again, I don't want the bulk of the albums. I have listened to the first Deep Dive on Story Albums and loved that concept too. My scrapbooking was in disarray UNTIL TODAY and I wanted to share. 

After I listened to Deep Dive Story Albums, I took all my albums and redivided them up. I pick the following subjects as these are where most of my layout categories fell. I should note, it is just my husband and I, no children but huge extended families. 

The subjects are:

Our Lives (WJ & Ann)

Lake Life (many pages were created of the things we do at the lake)

J _ Family (Ann's family)

J _ Family (Warren's family)

Christmas (Will use Noell's brilliant new system)

Birthdays (I combine one photo from all the birthdays we celebrated in the current year and create one page with all the photos.)

I now have separate albums for these 6 subjects. But then the Aha moment came this morning. I am going to change the Our Lives albums to the 3 main LOM categories and not use "People we Love" in the albums. These pages will fall under the family albums. If I do a page regarding friends, I will put this in the section of All about Us, in Our Lives albums. If I do a page regarding my family fun times, I will put this in the J-Family albums per WJ or Ann. 

My biggest hang-up was where I wanted the pages to go. I couldn't decide and now I think I have a system I am going to love. If I do a page regarding something about WJ and I, it is our story. If I do a page about our families, it this that story. 

I am excited that I figured a system out that I think it will work. These albums will then come together as a story of our lives and I will be able to fill in the blanks easier then worrying about date order.  

Two more things I wanted to add:

1. This will help me find those upgrade albums/stories easier

2. In the family albums, I can create this LOM system within these albums and watch those stories grow. I was so caught up in the 4 categories never thought I would think about six subjects and adding these 4 categories within those subjects. 

Thanks for the opportunity to share ~ Ann 

• bestcee likes this

#32 HelenH

HelenH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 10:06 AM

Way to go, Ann! Isn't it exciting to find a system that works for you? Keep Stacy's tip in mind - file the layout and don't over think.

• ajohnson likes this

#33 BethQuiroz

BethQuiroz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:24 AM

So I'm not done listening to all the segments yet, but after the segment on storage binders, I was inspired to clean out what was left of 2009. I made one layout, several photo collages of random pictures using pocket pages, and then put the rest in cold storage. Easy!

• janygb143 likes this

My blog: bethsblatherings.blogspot.com

Instagram:  http://instagram.com/divinemsq

Guest on PRT Episode #205: Cheesy At Heart

VENI VIDI VELCRO - I came, I saw, I stuck around

#34 L Squared

L Squared

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:08 AM

Along with Ann's question, I was wondering: what do you do if you have a system in place that's more complicated than Stacy suggests, but it's working? I'd love to simplify, but I've been keywording ALL of my photos since 2007. At this point, it's part of my workflow and I use that feature to (rather quickly) find what I'm looking for. I hate how tedious it is, but it's so helpful for me.

Also, my star ratings have different meanings (because I started using those prior to the class, too) - 3 star photos are awesome, 2 star are ok, and 1 star are blurry but have meaning. I'm often using a variety of starred and unstarred photos to make a page. Building Category Drawers in the suggested way isn't very feasible, so I just manually drag them to a collection as I stumble across pics!

Should I just continue to do what I'm doing? Lol

Noell/Stacy - 

First of all, I love this course. I just finished segment 3. This is exactly what I needed to get back on track. I took this class last time it was offered and fell off course. Earlier this year, I started reviewing the material again and listening to you talk about it really brings things back into motion. 

I have a question:  As I said, I just finished segment 3 and you talked a little about digital photo organization. I don't want to get caught up in all this as I am a traditional scrapbooker but I am a little worried I have too many keywords and wonder how you handle this. Currently I use Lightroom and I have my keywords broken down by Who, What, Where, Events, with sub-keywords under these. When I upload my photos, I do very basic keywording and rate my photos. I then have smart collections set up where all my 2 and 3 star photos fall into. From here is where I print. I also have 4 smart collections of my LOM categories and these just contain my 3 star photos. You mentioned not to over keyword your photos but that is the only way I can create smart collections in Lightroom is through using keywords. So here is where I am confused. If I wanted a subcategory under the smart collection "things we do", "boating", I need a keyword "boating" to make this happen. - but I just may have had an Aha moment - So would your digital category drawers just be your best photos of "boating'?

Hope that make sense. I would love to sit down live with you and ask these questions.  Thank you again for your inspiration! ~Ann

Ladies - I've been wondering the same thing. I'm not as far into tagging all my photos and have been flagging my best. I'm thinking about just adding 4 tags - LOM_ThingsWeDo, LOM_PeopleWeLove and using those only on my best photos. Then if I want to use my old tags on some other photos that's great too. I really appreciated Stacy's idea of only tagging a few of your 3 star photos. I'm thinking I'll do 5 star = want to scrapbook, 3 = possible photo book, 1 = keep. 

As a digital scrapbooker my question is what should I do once I scrap a photo. Should I maybe move my 5 star to a 4 - meaning still a best photo but I've scrapped it? Any suggestions on how digital scrapbookers are marking photos that they've used, or perhaps I could just untag them or change the tag?

#35 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 11:07 AM

@LSquared, I think a tag would work!

Here's my less-simple method (but it works, so I keep going :)): I use Lightroom. I have a Collection Set of "Pages In Progress" where I put used or going-to-be used photos in a Collection based on the potential name of the layout (I.e. LO: Christmas 2014). In the Library, LR shows a little tag in the corner of photos that are contained in a Collection, and if you right-click on it, it will show the names of every Collection the photo is in. That helps me know what I've used. Usually I still have to go look at the layout to see what made the final cut :) hope that gives you another idea!
  • L Squared likes this

#36 ajohnson

ajohnson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 05:48 AM

@LSquared. I am not a digital scrapbooker but I use a tag "Scrapbooked Highlights" - All my photos are put in digital storage binders by quarter and once the pictures are scrapbooked they are moved to a digital cold storage area by using the above tag. This way, the photo is still star rated and just out of photos that need to be scrapped. ~Ann

• L Squared, janygb143 and edsen1 like this

#37 edsen1

edsen1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 04:20 PM

Ok, I've listened through the course twice now...once taking a plethora of notes. I have really enjoyed the course, though at times I feel like my mind blew up...both by Stacy's very spot-on observations and by wrapping my head around the multi-step process, which I had thought I was familiar with before (guess not as familiar as I thought I was)!

I was guilty of over tagging....I had tags for things like 'berry picking' or 'gingerbread house' - activities we only do once a year. I'm wiping the slate clean and starting fresh, but it is mind boggling to me to only tag a small percentage of my 'best' photos - so far I've done a year's worth and am going with my 'gut response' and am trusting that the system will work. Does anyone else struggle with this? On the plus side, only tagging a few will make it a task I can actually accomplish rather than disliking the process and getting bogged down by it. 

Also, with the whole 2 and 3 star system...sometimes I will use photos that aren't the absolute best because I want to tell the story behind it - as of now I'm giving them 3 stars so they show up in my seasonal folders - how do others handle this? I'm selecting a few from an event to 3 star, then giving supporting photos 2 stars; I don't print at home and am getting hung up on the idea of 'what if I want more photos' when it comes time to scrapbook? As I'm just beginning I am planning to assess my 3 star photos before printing, and if I feel like I want additional photos to support what I have, THEN I will look at my 2 star photos and consider adding some to my print order.

Finally, I have decided to set-up seasonal highlight collections in Lightroom. I am in the central U.S., so we very much have seasons, though they don't exactly follow the calendar quarters- for example, winter here is really more Dec-Feb, Spring is Mar-May, etc. For that reason I'm making my highlight folders follow those divisions. As I'll be going to those folders to review my photos, I think it will actually make selecting photos and stories easier, as I can see everything fromo that season at once.

I am so appreciative of this course - the audio made it easily accessible to access when traveling and I am excited to get rolling!

#38 Pepper

Pepper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:54 PM

I just finished listening to the course once, and went back to listen to the digital alternative. I'm a hybrid scrapbooker and paired down my printed photos recently as I do not have to space to store them. I also did PL since Sept 2013 so I have most of the chronology done (to the extend that I accepted, not perfect but it's there). So I'm very interested to scrapbook the connecting stories that happens in my life, those ideas/examples that Stacy suggested are awesome and made me think of my own. Those rituals , those places we go every year, those things we do everyday etc. 

I have trouble organising the tags of my photos because I have already been tagging them somewhat randomly since 2013 when i started Lightroom. They are not organised and I don't see myself having the courage to remove all tags because some of them are still meaningful. So i was hoping if Stacy can jump in here to teach us what are the exact tags she is using for the digital organisation. Do you really tag as LOM-People, LOM-Places? How about the sub categories? LOM-Places-Far? Is it a different tag or the same tag? I realise we can do tagging hierarchy in Lightroom but i'm so not good with tagging. Even in Evernote, my tagging is all over the place. So hoping for a starter advice , the exact tags that you use as a reference so that I can start organising and adapting to my own use :) 

One more idea i'm going to throw into this system is to use it with Ali Edwards Story kits. The monthly story themes sparks story ideas for me, and I think some of them can definitely be used together with Stacy's LOM, and i'm looking forward to combine them together :) 

Thanks Noell and Stacy for such an awesome course :)

• janygb143 and anandi like this

P E P P E R  :D 
Facebook || Youtube
[Pepper Creations] || **NEW Instagram**

#39 HelenH

HelenH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:57 AM

I don't bother with tagging. When you feel like tagging, put the words into the photo caption/title instead. Edsen1 - I print all 2 and 3 star photos. Then I only archive (put in smart albums) 1,2,3-star photos.

#40 edsen1

edsen1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 05:10 PM

I don't bother with tagging. When you feel like tagging, put the words into the photo caption/title instead. Edsen1 - I print all 2 and 3 star photos. Then I only archive (put in smart albums) 1,2,3-star photos.

Helen, so the way I was approaching it was to star ALL of my photos, either 1 (want to keep, but don't want to do anything with it), 2 (supporting photo) 3 (something I want to scrapbook with or that I really love for some reason - relationship shown, composition, subject) and bringing only the 3 star ones into my smart collection.

How do you determine what stars your photos will get?

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users