#21 Ingunn

Ingunn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:01 AM

You will still wish to have transportation to discover the beauty of the environment outside of the city. So that means you will keep the motorcycle?

Maybe, but more likely we'll use Uber or something. :)

Yes, you can't live in Portland without driving up to Mt. Hood (and visiting that hotel from The Shining) and hiking the waterfalls along the Gorge. But here in WA I'm seeing more and more Zipcars (city rentals) at mountain trailheads, so that's totally doable.

• Melissa and rachaelnelson like this

#22 Inkfanatic

Inkfanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:11 AM

Miascraps & Melissa,

Would be sooooo awesome to already have friends in the 'neighborhood'  :D  :D  :D

(Keeping my fingers crossed!!!)

• Melissa and MiaScraps like this

Robin

#23 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 29 October 2015 - 02:44 PM

Yes, you can't live in Portland without driving up to Mt. Hood (and visiting that hotel from The Shining) and hiking the waterfalls along the Gorge. But here in WA I'm seeing more and more Zipcars (city rentals) at mountain trailheads, so that's totally doable.

I like to camp, 4x4, etc. I'd want my own vehicle. I had not considered the concept of rentals for when you want to do something! You got me thinking :) for down the road.

#24 rachaelnelson

rachaelnelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 11:50 PM

I'm in Vancouver, Washington, but lived in Portland for 18 years before moving here.  I would have bought a house in Portland, but couldn't afford one in the neighborhood I wanted to live in. :(

According to the news, right now rent is crazy high in Portland AND Vancouver (& the metro area, pretty much). 

I do love the pacific northwest.  It is unbelievably gorgeous year round, despite rain.  I actually like the rain, so I'm kind of a weirdo that way.

I would LOVE if Izzy and Noell moved here.   :D

I grew up on Vancouver Island and if I could find a job there, I'd move back in a heart beat.  There is no more beautiful place (in my opinion).  Izzy and Noell, you gotta visit it!

• Melissa likes this

#25 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:38 PM

Rachael, I love the rain too...except when there's a threat of it flooding my basement.  :( I'm still daydreaming of living in the Pacific NW someday, even if it doesn't happen as soon as I would like it to. Who knows? Stranger things have happened...

• Inkfanatic likes this

#26 Inkfanatic

Inkfanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:02 AM

@Rachael - I'm a rain-loving weirdo too  :lol: ! 

@Melissa - HAVE FAITH!!! The short story is - we are under contract now on our house!! (YIPPEEE!) Not entirely holding my breath though, as I know it's not over till it's over, lol. But this couple is extremely excited about buying our house, so barring some complete disaster, it should all go well. And they want to close by the end of the year - WHOO HOO!! (but we are leasing back until the end of February, whew!) Can't imagine closing a business, having any sort of holiday, and packing up moving our entire belongings and trekking cross country with 3 anxious dogs in tow, in three weeks...if that were the case, I'd just bypass all that and take myself to the nearest psychiatric hospital, as surely someone else (husband) would be taking me there instead if I tried to accomplish all that in that time frame, lol.

SO, oddly enough...we had already booked a late December holiday to PORTLAND :D  And we were going to a: relax and have a week of checking out Portland, and relaxing. And b: check out the Oregon coast and see how we felt about that. 

NOW, (this contract happened two days ago)...my hubs is going out to the islands to see more properties, as the one we had our eye on, went under contract THE DAY our house went under contract, before we could do anything about it. Jeez. Go figure. I'm choosing to decide that's fate stepping in, lol. 

So he's going next weekend to view island properties, and then we'll go on our pre-planned Portland trip, and make a decision by the end of the year, which is when our house will close. WHEW! 

My brain is on overload, lol.

Anyway...all that to say...here we were thinking (rather depressedly) we'd be here years trying to sell this house. And we are SO ready to go. 

So you just never know! I will hold out hope for you to get to the PNW soon!!

• Melissa, MiaScraps and Ingunn like this

Robin

#27 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:28 AM

My brain is on overload, lol.

Anyway...all that to say...here we were thinking (rather depressedly) we'd be here years trying to sell this house. And we are SO ready to go. 

So you just never know! I will hold out hope for you to get to the PNW soon!!

Robin, I can understand why your brain is on overload! That's a lot going on, girl! You have a great attitude, though, and I am so happy that things are moving in the right direction for you.

I still very much want to live in Portland or somewhere in the PNW. I've been drawn there for a very long time, and I'd like to make it happen. We thought, when my husband lost his job, that this might be the window of opportunity for us. The main hurdle is, though, that we are still involved in taking care of our nephew who has been battling leukemia for the past few years. While it wouldn't be impossible for him to relocate with us, I'm not sure how it would be transferring his medical care to a new city so far away. In a few months, all things continuing as they are now, he could reasonably stay in the area, if we were required to leave.

That being said, my husband has been job seeking, and he is getting a LOT of interest. At the moment, he's being considered for a job he's really interested in that would require us to move to Ann Arbor, not that far away, and it's a city I've always loved. As long as he can get some kind of good job here in Michigan, we'll probably stay a little while longer, get our nephew completely well (hope-hope-hope!) and on his own again, then see about relocating where we want to be sometime in the future.

Keep us posted on how things shake out with your move, Robin! I wish you and your husband and your puppies safe and happy travels!

#28 Inkfanatic

Inkfanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:33 PM

That being said, my husband has been job seeking, and he is getting a LOT of interest. At the moment, he's being considered for a job he's really interested in that would require us to move to Ann Arbor, not that far away, and it's a city I've always loved. As long as he can get some kind of good job here in Michigan, we'll probably stay a little while longer, get our nephew completely well (hope-hope-hope!) and on his own again, then see about relocating where we want to be sometime in the future.

Keep us posted on how things shake out with your move, Robin! I wish you and your husband and your puppies safe and happy travels!

That's AwEsOmE he has a great job opportunity, and in a city you love! I will be keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers that all goes well for you! And certainly for your nephew! My goodness, I'm sure that has all been such a challenge! I can see why making a big move would be difficult for him/you all right now! 

Thanks for the well wishes:) I'm certainly hoping all goes well with what you all have on the horizon!! 

• Melissa likes this

Robin

#29 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:01 AM

@Melissa. Ann Arbor sounds like a great move! I've only heard wonderful things about Ann Arbor...never been. Good Luck to your husband and nephew!

#30 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 06:50 AM

@Melissa. Ann Arbor sounds like a great move! I've only heard wonderful things about Ann Arbor...never been. Good Luck to your husband and nephew!

Thank you, Mia! When I first moved to Michigan to live with my husband (then...boyfriend, I guess!  :) ), he lived in Ypsilanti and worked in Ann Arbor, so it holds a lot of fond memories for me. It's not only beautiful, it's not terribly big, and it has a lot of charm. We're still waiting to hear about the job, but it's been nice daydreaming about living there.

#31 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:33 AM

Just a bit of an update: my husband got a job, and while we won't be relocating to the Pacific Northwest right now, we will be relocating to Ann Arbor, eventually. Someday, though, I do want to try living in Portland or somewhere nearby. Perhaps this job will be a stepping stone to that.

• janygb143 and Julie Paradise like this

#32 rachaelnelson

rachaelnelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:36 AM

Congrats on the job! Nice that you are planning an eventual move out here! :)

Best wishes on this next chapter in your lives!
  • Melissa likes this

#33 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, CANADA

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:21 AM

Congrats Melissa. Although Portland is not happening this time around, maybe someday it will. Que sera, sera as the old saying goes.
I think there should be a Paperclipping Forum Meetup held in Portland and everyone could attend and then choose another city for the next one etc.
Anyway, Ann Arbor sounds wonderful too and I'm sure everything will work out as it should.
Thanks to the wonder of technology we are always just a click away!
  • Melissa likes this

#34 rachaelnelson

rachaelnelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:30 AM

SO true and if you want to see anything out here, I can always take a pic and share it! :) In 2016, I plan on doing CY365 So will definitely need some motivation for taking a photo a day!!
  • Melissa and Maplestock like this

#35 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:09 AM

Congrats Melissa. Although Portland is not happening this time around, maybe someday it will. Que sera, sera as the old saying goes.
I think there should be a Paperclipping Forum Meetup held in Portland and everyone could attend and then choose another city for the next one etc.
Anyway, Ann Arbor sounds wonderful too and I'm sure everything will work out as it should.
Thanks to the wonder of technology we are always just a click away!

Thank you! It's good to stay in Michigan a little while longer, anyway, as my nephew is not completely finished with his recovery. Ann Arbor is my favorite Michigan city. My husband worked there when we first met, and when I moved to Michigan to be with him, we spent a lot of time in Ann Arbor. I'm looking forward to new adventures there.

I love your idea about a meetup in Portland. That would be awesome!

#36 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:10 AM

SO true and if you want to see anything out here, I can always take a pic and share it! :) In 2016, I plan on doing CY365 So will definitely need some motivation for taking a photo a day!!

Thank you, Rachael! (That was my Mom's name, by the way.) I wouldn't mind seeing any pictures of Portland. Do you have a blog where you will be posting your CY365?

#37 rachaelnelson

rachaelnelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:15 AM

I do have a blog and wasn't planning on doing cy365 on there (Was thinking maybe Instagram), but now I think I will.

http://rachaelnelson1976.blogspot.com/
  • Melissa and Maplestock like this

#38 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:12 PM

I do have a blog and wasn't planning on doing cy365 on there (Was thinking maybe Instagram), but now I think I will.

http://rachaelnelson1976.blogspot.com/

Awesome! I bookmarked your blog so I'll be checking back.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users