Photo

Captioning photos

Best Answer lezleeptmom , 25 September 2015 - 07:37 AM

Picasa! I completely forgot about what that does - thanks! That may do the trick. Lord - PSE WITHOUT organizer?? Say it ain't so! I'd only upgrade my PSE 6 if there's organizer as that's nearly the only thing I do w/ PSE. ;-) LR - keep coming back to LR! THANKS for the tips!

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 lezleeptmom

lezleeptmom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:59 PM

Hello, all!

Looking for advice. My photo workflow is in the process of changing - ever-evolving, yes? I'm thinking in the world of "behind" in scrapping pix or telling stories, captioning pix may make sense. Any apps I see on my Android seem to indicate (on a "photo caption" search) that the app would add words TO my photo. But that's not what I want to do. I have Photoshop but VERY, very old (version 6) - after a couple of new computers, crashes, reinstalls - I give up on trying to re(re)organize through Photoshop, even if I were to get a new version - too, too many pix at this point, and the whole re-tagging scene? Ugh. Captioning IS an option in Photoshop - but I'm getting used to the freedom of moving pix around my computer via folders and not only and always through Photoshop. DOES anyone "caption" photos to remind you of snippets for later reference? Write yourself blog post notes w/ pix? Instagram seems sooooooooooooo "public" - could I actually make settings completely private and caption there?

Thanks for any advice!

Lezlee

#2 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:33 PM

I add captions to almost all of my photos, just so i know why I bothered to take/keep the picture! I use Lightroom organizing/editing software and there's a nice option called "Large Caption" in the metadata area, so I can write as much or as little as I want. The caption gets embedded in the file metadata, so if I need to reference it outside of Lightroom, the info is there (I'm on a Mac, so I think I hit "info" in Finder).

LR also keeps everything in folders, so if you like folders, you can keep them :) but, I would suggest moving files within LR so that everything plays nicely and your files stay straight :) hope that helps!
  • anandi and bestcee like this

#3 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:14 PM

IF I kept up with my daily journal I would consider that my way of captioning photos. There once was a time when I was okay with the daily notes. Not so much anymore, sadly. How much time does it really take to write a few notes? Sure would help to explain the photos! Oh, I keep saying I'm going to vocally record my daily journal. Still haven't taught myself that one. Would that work for you Lezlee? A software program that translates the vocal words into written words? Then you could pull up the notes to match the date on the photos?

#4 Krystal K

Krystal K

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationAnchorage AK

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:15 PM

I am low tech. I store my photos on my computer in files by date. The whole tagging, metadata idea sounds great, but it is too time consuming and takes away from how I want to spend my time. I think if I had something I wanted to remember, I would create a word doc and type up my journaling, then store it in the same file as my photos.

#5 lezleeptmom

lezleeptmom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 04:44 AM

Thanks, all! LR - I've heard Kayla Lamreaux talk about it. Afraid between expense, learning curve, and the whole re-tagging urge I'd feel - not sure I'm up to that yet, but I've heard it's excellent AND does captioning! Thanks for the reminder, @janygb143! @MiaScraps and @Krystal K - oh, I HEAR ya! I haven't even gotten to "voice" commands on my Android yet - lol! - but simply jotting notes - sounds lovely, but not sure I'd connect them w/ the photos once I returned to them. Put a few notes and a couple pix on a Word doc - hey, that's just about a new page already, isn't it! ;-) Maybe just sort of sending myself an e' or write a blog post to myself - again a quick photo + a few words - maybe...  Thanks, ladies!

• janygb143 likes this

#6 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 07:31 PM

Oh yeah, I understand the learning curve! It did take a lot of time, but it's pretty intuitive to just jump in. For me, it was worth the expense of having a place to keep everything organized and it has sooo many search capabilities and different ways to find your pictures (excellent if you scrapbook like Stacy Julian's Library of Memories, making connections over time, in addition to events). With the exception of the last year (I'm behind), I could probably find any photo in my giant catalog (tens of thousands, if not hundreds) in about 30 seconds!

And I don't know if you would have to retag anything- if you embedded it in the metadata, it should show up in LR without any problems. You could do a free 30 day trial and see how you like it! There's a great thread around here with resources if you do decide to check it out :)
  • anandi, bestcee and lezleeptmom like this

#7 lezleeptmom

lezleeptmom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 05:14 AM

I SO miss all of the beautiful tags I'd created in Photoshop! The metadata seems to have stuck - but not necessarily in a similar tag format, sort of all lumped together. Beats nothin', yes. It was SO fabulous to whip out any of my LOM categories and narrow a HUGE field of pix. But oh, the TIME!!! I've heard good things about LR - maybe if I'm going to pay for an upgrade anyhow, may be better than Photoshop. Christmas is coming - maybe I've been a good girl this year! ;-) Thanks, janygb143!

• janygb143 likes this

#8 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:09 PM

Look into Photoshop/LR Creative Cloud - I think it's $9.99/month for both!! Sorry to be an enabler, I just believe in LR that much!! ;) if the metadata is all there but lumped together, you could probably just search for files by text - there's an option to search all "searchable" fields, then add LR tags to the results. Then you're good to go :)
  • lezleeptmom likes this

#9 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:45 PM

Lezlee, Ali Edwards uses her blog all the time to put together her layouts. You don't even need to share your blog with anyone. I had a blog at one time....forgot where I put it......now that I think back....that's a totally awesome way to keep a journal/diary.....until ready to be transferred to paper format. Or....a paper planner at the nearby where you can jot notes. Do you have a lunch break at work where you can sit quietly and make time to write a few notes? It is always my intention to do this and then I find myself buried in a good book.

#10 lezleeptmom

lezleeptmom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:10 AM

Thanks, MiaScraps! I have a blog - but it's totally private - I'm the only one (or hubby looking over my shoulder) w/ access - it's not "out there" - so that may actually work for me! A "photo journal/diary" - interesting idea - thanks! That's why I like the "caption" idea - scroll thru and delete the pix that are totally off, work on sharing what I'll share w/ family quickly, and jotting a couple of notes with the pix that speak to me or the events - that would be IDEAL - but apparently I'm a little ahead of technology on this one! ;-) It would be NICE to keep it ALL in one place - on/with the pix, esp as most are on the phone these days - but the only apps I can find when I search "caption" seem to want to write ON the photo - THAT'S not what I'm after! If I was only clever enough to invent something! ;-) But THANKS for the ideas that may get me through!

#11 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:50 AM

Try looking into Photogene (iPhone)! I think you can edit metadata. However, I'm not sure how it transfers to the computer. LR is still my #1 recommendation, as it is so so easy to add captions and keep them with your original photos :)

#12 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:25 AM

I'm also a Lightroom user. I actually start my scrapping in Lightroom, moving to Photoshop only to add digital embellishments. And the tags and metadata options in LR are fantastic. I second the $10/month Photographer subscription for the newest versions of BOTH programs. It's a great deal!

Another option is to use something like DayOne to pull in your photo and add a quick caption. There are other apps too if you mainly take pix on your phone.

• janygb143 likes this

Wendyzine Scraps

Studio Wendy @ Scrapbookgraphics  •  Photoshop & Elements Instructor

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#13 Krystal K

Krystal K

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationAnchorage AK

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:11 PM

I do agree that Adobe products are intuitive, I had too many photos and just felt like the time and energy it took was sucking the life out of me

#14 lezleeptmom

lezleeptmom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:24 AM

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone! LR - while $10/month doesn't sound bad certainly, $120/yr - EVERY year - DOES to my inept level of math. There's gotta be another way to organize and caption and tag our photos out there that's not so bloody expensive. Photoshop is at least a one-and-done payment - at least it WAS - although I know they're going all "cloud" also. The TIME to go through RE-TAGGING, let alone "catching up" on the whole tagging concept - while lovely! - I did ADORE it when I had it! A couple - simply a couple! - of computer changes or system/software changes and you're left with scraps of all of your hard work. NEVER the same. Sure, my metadata is embedded on those done. And the tags SORTA transfer. But NOT the same on reinstall - ever - at least what I've seen.

I guess I need to put my invention hat on. ;-) Or find someone - anyone! - to put my humble plea and needs into action. ;-) I don't honestly think we as scrappers are asking for too much here. This whole process has GOT to get a LOT more simplified for any of us to "keep up" with it in any semblance of the phrase.

DayOne - I'll see what I can find on that. I haven't seen anything for Androids that may simply "caption" without putting words ON my photos, for free, let alone a small price. (yes, I'm fairly cheap as a mom of 2!)

I realized the other day as I was catching up on some PRT episodes (new subscriber thanks to a friend telling me I need an APP to listen! ahhhhhh! light bulb!) I realized Stacy Julian isn't dropping into my inbox anymore, so I headed back to her website. No way on her site to get e-mails again (rats), but I DID notice she's got a big ol' question out there in prep for a new round of Photo Freedom "how's it going, what's working, what's not." I've got so much to say on that topic - I'm still trying to organize my thoughts cohesively before I unload. FABULOUS system - but there's gotta be an easier way.....

Thanks for all the ideas, friends!

#15 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:26 AM

I think LR 6 is still available as a stand-alone product! Or even LR 5? And i think Photoshop Elements comes with Organizer, but I don't know for sure if that still exists.
  • lezleeptmom likes this

#16 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:29 AM

Picasa should manage captions, too. And that's totally free.
  • lezleeptmom likes this

#17 lezleeptmom

lezleeptmom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 07:37 AM   Best Answer

Picasa! I completely forgot about what that does - thanks! That may do the trick. Lord - PSE WITHOUT organizer?? Say it ain't so! I'd only upgrade my PSE 6 if there's organizer as that's nearly the only thing I do w/ PSE. ;-) LR - keep coming back to LR! THANKS for the tips!

#18 bestcee

bestcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 02 October 2015 - 11:29 PM

I haven't used PSE 14, which just dropped. But PSE 13 did still have organizer. I have LR 6 or 5 - one of the standalone ones. And then I use PSE, because like you I'm not into paying $120 per year and not owning the software. 

• lezleeptmom likes this

#19 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 03 October 2015 - 01:23 AM

I think LR 6 is still available as a stand-alone product! Or even LR 5? And i think Photoshop Elements comes with Organizer, but I don't know for sure if that still exists.

PSE still comes with the Organizer

For a simple solution on the PC - just right click and select properties from the menu. Then type in the description box.

Mac users, apparently this does not write the metadata to file but on a PC it does.

As mentioned- Picasa is a free option, as is Windows Live Photo Gallery etc.

I'm not sure about how to do it on your phone though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • lezleeptmom likes this

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#20 lezleeptmom

lezleeptmom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 05:01 AM

mshanhun! SERIOUSLY!! A right click and type does the trick! WOW!! Had no idea. Can't beat that for ease and price! THANKS!!

• mshanhun likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users