16 replies to this topic

#1 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:34 PM

I only make digital pages and some hybrid Project Life albums, but I'm still really curious to see how traditional pages hold up over the years. It would be fun to hear from people who have been in the industry for a long time, like Jen Gallacher, Stacy Julian, Wendy Smedley, Lain Ehmann, etc.

It would be interesting to see what products have held up and which have crumbled. Have the cardstock/papers or embellishments faded? What's the best adhesive brand or style for long-lasting pages, and what's the best adhesive for different embellishments (flair, ribbon, etc)? Which brand of page protectors have yellowed or stayed nice and clear? What albums have fallen apart? Where's the best place to store albums? What effect do mists, inks, or acrylic paint have, years later? Hm, this kind of sounds like a science experiment! :)
  • The Other Caroline, MiaScraps, anandi and 1 other like this

#2 bestcee

bestcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 08 September 2015 - 07:06 PM

You make me want to go check out my older books. My first book from 1996 wasn't done archival, and had 'sticker sneeze'. I'm totally going to go check them out!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
  • janygb143 likes this

#3 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:51 AM

My older (7yo) photobooks have signs of wear on the cover but are holding up well :)

As for paper pages...

Thickers always fall off!! (Except foam ones)
Dear Lizzy small typewriter letter stickers (square style) fall off too.

I've not noticed anything else with my paper pages (my CM pages from 2003 are pristine!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • janygb143 likes this

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#4 Scrapnsee

Scrapnsee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:51 AM

My oldest are about 12 years old (CM) and they're doing great. The newer ones are AC and also showing no signs of bending, cracking, etc.  Hope they continue to hold up!

• janygb143 likes this

#5 The Other Caroline

The Other Caroline

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationMy Scrap Room

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:28 PM

Remember the clear acrylic "pebbles" from Making Memories? All of the ones I used have turned yellow. :angry: Some matted photos have fallen off the main cardstock sheet that the page was made on. I have to go back and restick them. I can't tell which adhesive I used, though. All my page protectors have remained clear and have not yellowed, but some do have marks from rubbing against one another, even though I store them vertically. And the most disappointing thing of all is that some paper that is supposed to be archival shows signs of fading, despite the fact that my scrapbook room is very dark during the day. 

• janygb143 and Julie Paradise like this

Caroline, Formerly "Purple Sparkles"

#6 Ingunn

Ingunn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:12 AM

So many of my Thickers have fallen off. Yet for some reason I keep buying them. :huh:

• janygb143, Melissa, mshanhun and 2 others like this

#7 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:29 AM

I recently went through the albums I've done of my niece. Some of those pages are several years old, and they're holding up great. In fact, I decided not to keep a few of the pages, but since the photos aren't digital, I wanted to rescue those. It was REALLY hard to get the photos off without tearing them. I had to go slow and carefully. The adhesive I used, then and now, is Tombow tape runner. Awesome stuff, apparently!

• janygb143 and Julie Paradise like this

#8 Julie Paradise

Julie Paradise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 02 October 2015 - 02:45 AM

Since I do not scrapbook for so long, I can only contribute to the photo tearing:

I recently went through the albums I've done of my niece. Some of those pages are several years old, and they're holding up great. In fact, I decided not to keep a few of the pages, but since the photos aren't digital, I wanted to rescue those. It was REALLY hard to get the photos off without tearing them. I had to go slow and carefully. The adhesive I used, then and now, is Tombow tape runner. Awesome stuff, apparently!

I use those little sticky things made for photos, not the corners but the double sided/self adhesive photo stickers/strips, and would strongly recommand to not glue down photos with glue, be it gummy or wet.

I never had a problem with my stickers, an since my digital photos all have the file names printed on the back, which doubles as the date (file names for me are always YYYY-MM-DD-add.info.jpg -- additional info could be, that it is the b/w version, sepia, cropped, tags/occasion etc.) I can always peel my photos off (very gently, though, but mostly without damaging the paper or the adhesive) even if it has held the photo in place for years already. Love those!

• janygb143 and Melissa like this

#9 jschow

jschow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:48 PM

This would be an interesting topic. I've been scrapbooking for almost twenty years and most of my scrapbooks have held up really well with the exception of some Thickers that have fallen off. I always put extra adhesive now. And I look through my scrapbooks often enough that the real problem is how well the actual albums hold up. I don't really mind this because after a while, I kind of want to switch up the look anyway. I'm transferring all of my albums into WeRMemory Keepers Greige albums to replace the ones that are falling apart a bit.

• janygb143 likes this

#10 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 11:34 AM

Oh, and it would also be interesting to discuss whether you would go back and rescue pages/Thickers that are falling apart? Trash them or save them?

#11 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 03 October 2015 - 12:08 PM

I wander through my albums from time to time and usually find something that needs a bit of touch up. But it's inconsistent. One letter from a title. Might be indicative of the crafter more than the product. Albums however are another story. I have three KI albums..post bound. They have seen a lot of traffic and do show the wear and tear. I'm switching the boy's pages over to newer albums for aesthetic reasons mostly. Baby blue doesn't seem right anymore. The girl I haven't decided. Maybe just do a repair job. My oldest album is a CM one. Still together and still looks okay. I'm keeping an eye on the page protectors to see how long they hold out. I'm sure I used several brands.
  • janygb143 likes this

#12 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 03 October 2015 - 12:12 PM

This is interesting. Remember when we used every method imaginable to rescue photos from those old magnetic albums? Will someone in the future want to rescue our photographs from our albums? I can just see it now. Heat gun in one hand. Floss in the other! Tediously and carefully extracting those photos from the tough as nails adhesive we use today.
  • janygb143 and Melissa like this

#13 Julie Paradise

Julie Paradise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 03 October 2015 - 01:15 PM

This would be an interesting topic. I've been scrapbooking for almost twenty years and most of my scrapbooks have held up really well with the exception of some Thickers that have fallen off. I always put extra adhesive now. And I look through my scrapbooks often enough that the real problem is how well the actual albums hold up. I don't really mind this because after a while, I kind of want to switch up the look anyway. I'm transferring all of my albums into WeRMemory Keepers Greige albums to replace the ones that are falling apart a bit.

@Jen, didn't you have a video about your old albums, where you also mentioned that your best friend has "mirror layouts" because you tried to make them look similar?!?

I have tried to find that very upload in your youtube channel to link it here, because this would be a great example of how certain scrapbook supplies are holding up. I did not find this video through the search in your channel, so maybe you could link it here?

I thought this video was awesome, really interesting and so funny! 

• janygb143 likes this

#14 Crayolaswap

Crayolaswap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:46 AM

Like some others I have yellowed embellishments that started of clear and things,... Mostly letter stickers... That are falling off. I have some sticky adhesive sheets covered in little dots of glue that you can press things to to adhere them. I can't remember the name but I get them in an 8 1/2 by 11 at Michaels. Any time I find anything that came loose I just readhere with that. It works to restick old stickers and even holds heavier stuff like buttons.
The post bound albums themselves have not held up well. I use 3 ring binders now. If my budget allows, I'll probably go back and put the old albums in new binders eventually, but there are about 20 of them so it will be a gradual process.
I've been scrapbooking since 1996.
  • janygb143, MiaScraps and Julie Paradise like this

#15 bestcee

bestcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:09 PM

My albums are so so. I think that's more because they are well loved. All epoxy is yellow, and about 1/2 had fallen off. Other than that, they are in pretty good shape.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
  • janygb143 likes this

#16 mpcapistran

mpcapistran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:07 AM

What annoys me most about my albums is that the bottom of the pages are curled. All of them!! I use 3 ring binders and store them vertically.... Anyone else have that issue? I think Noell once mentioned it on the Roundtable and I was surprised that all the other panelists never had that issue. 

#17 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 10:45 PM

What annoys me most about my albums is that the bottom of the pages are curled. All of them!! I use 3 ring binders and store them vertically.... Anyone else have that issue? I think Noell once mentioned it on the Roundtable and I was surprised that all the other panelists never had that issue. 

I have that issue, and it annoys me, too. Just another one of those things about life I figure I have to accept...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users