4 replies to this topic

#1 toribissell

toribissell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:32 AM

I think it might be fun to do a topic on thrifty scrapbooking. 

Sample questions: 

- How can you save money and scrapbook?

- What types of products, things around your house, etc have you found and incorporated into your layouts?

- Have you made your own DIY embellishments or elements?  Share examples?

- Where can you find things for free or for cheep that you can use?

I think a great person to have on the show would be Susie Fishburne - she often scraps with paint samples from the paint store, packaging, and things she finds around her house. 

• janygb143, Melissa, MiaScraps and 1 other like this

#2 JuliaK

JuliaK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationSweden- BorÃ¥s

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:18 PM

I like to do my own "die cuts" watercolor elements and then just cut them out, our watercolor backgrounds. Love using tissue paper for layering, same goes for old books and fabric. And you can always find free printables, I don´t use them as much but that is because I have a not so loving relationship whit my printer... But yes, the thing I do most is watercolor or draw elements to cut out  ;)

• janygb143, Melissa, MiaScraps and 1 other like this

#3 Crayolaswap

Crayolaswap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 09:15 AM

I would LOVE to hear this topic discussed. I have a huge stash because I've scrapped for years, so that helps, but we have a new baby boy after 9 years with an only daughter and we've had some big unexpected expenses all at once, so I'm trying to scrap for him with a lack of boy oriented supplies and a serious lack of money to buy any!
My one tip is to spend what money you do have on more general items, like flowers, stars, solids or not too busy prints, etc. Because they're much more versitile and you're more likely to use them up. I have ballet stickers left, for example, but my daughter doesn't take dance anymore. I like the dance layouts I did with flowers just as well and can use the leftover flowers elsewhere.
  • janygb143 likes this

#4 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 08 November 2015 - 07:47 PM

I use tissues from patterns. Make my own pressed flowers and leaves. Tear pages from books. Have old watch faces - free. Shop at swaps and thrift stores...time permitting. Love to create my own embellishments from tools and multi mediums. Art techniques. Save pieces from old jewelry...you know those lost earings! My aunt gave me three huge boxes of lace/ribbons when she retired from being a seamstress. I keep tags and extra buttons from clothing. Take rivets/metal closures out of jeans. if you have an electronic cutting machine....some of them can cut wood veneer purchased at the hardware store....I haven't tried this yet but my machine can do this.

#5 Julie Paradise

Julie Paradise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:42 AM

I know this might not seem to fall into the category of thrifty scrapping at first glance, but: 

Buying a Silhouette Portrait in a very cheap starter bundle for 130€ about after Christmas 2014 has made it possible for me to add selfmade embellishments, titles and die cuts to my pages without having to buy these things. I can now make my own stencils out of cheap cardstock or plasic sheets from packages, cut perfect titles that say more than just "the best" "love" or whatnot, so I think it has paid off already. (In contrast to metal dies that only pay off when you use them a lot (maybe shapes for cardmaking), which I probably would never do. I get tired of supplies and how many layouts need a "love this" die? -- For me it was a bit of learning and trying to find out how to transform nearly any image into a cut file (there are several great tutorials on youtube), so if you are a bit computer interested this might be great. Or you look for the freebie cut files many blogs offer and use these.

Also having an office printer is great as you could print (and even heat-foil: https://www.youtube....h?v=g2ABXldEEv0 thanks to the awesome Jennifer Maguire) a lot of things yourself. Black ink is enough, just colour in with watercolours. 

Stamping is another way to stretch your stash, having some versatile stamps and basic inks (watermark, or embossing and a good black pigment ink, maybe one more subtle light dye ink) as well as maybe clear, white, gold embossing powder gets you very far. I am greedy with my embellishments, so I like to add some interest or a "layer" with dye ink stamped bachground images, mostly with Hero Art Shadow Ink "Soft Granite".

Glossy Accents is another "investion" I never regretted, as it gives some 3D or sparkle to a project, it can turn any stamped image in a glossy die cut, highlights little polka dots on a PP very easily. And it is a great adhesive that comes in a handy bottle with a fine tip.

A watercolour set is another thing that gets you very far.

So if you can spend some money try to think of items that could be universal or make it possible to create whatever you want in multiples witout much further cost.

If you look for things you already have, scraps ... maybe use stitching to shake things up and add dimension, (water)colours, fuzzy cutting to give old papers a new look, selfmade embellishments (DIY paperclips?), layering with cheap/used printer paper and only have some small strips of PP be shown in the layering -- maybe on both sides to give the impression it was a whole sheet behind your photo, cut tags yourself, use ribbon from gift wrapping, sprinkle and spritz to fill the page ... 

• Melissa, MiaScraps and anandi like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users