#21 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:25 PM

Noell, I'm so happy to hear your foot health has improved! And overall, you are healing and regenerating. Yoga is magical.

#22 Betsys

Betsys

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:40 AM

From a different perspective, I'm the mom of a 16 yo kiddo who struggles with mental illness. She had been in and out of treatment for anorexia, suicide attempts, depression, and anxiety for the past 11 months, and we're awaiting a spot at a residential treatment facility now. I scrapped the photos she took of herself right before we admitted her for anorexia. It was the start of the story. She saw the layout and said it was very triggering, so I need to be careful to keep these layouts a little more private until she is further along in her recovery. I will scrap photos she took during her stay for anorexia. I will scrap the struggles she has had this year. I will scrap the times she got to take a break from treatment - my wedding and a trip to London. It's her story, so I will also include some of her own facebook and Instagram posts and journaling about her struggles. I will include some poems she has written during this time. And, I will continue to scrapbook the ordinary everyday things about her life, like getting her long hair cut short. I want to do this because some day she will recover, and I want her to see how far she has come. I'm happy to share my perspective on this. Long time listener, first time poster.
  • BethQuiroz, janygb143, Melissa and 2 others like this

#23 AmyUlen

AmyUlen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 04 April 2016 - 02:54 PM

I've been dealing with depression for nearly two years now.  I'm MUCH better than I was 6 months ago, but this has really taken a toll on my hobby.  So, I would love to hear what people do when your mental/emotional health keeps you from even wanting to scrapbook.  I don't take many photos now, and I really have no desire to document my life anymore.  I was going to quit all together, but my husband kept encouraging me.  Now my focus is on cards.  My goal is to actually start sending them in order to bring some happiness to my friends, family and customers.

Anyway, it feels good to be coming out the other side of depression, but I would still love some advice on how to get my scrapbooking mojo back.

I will say that it does help to go back and listen to past episodes of PRT while I'm making cards during spring break!

• janygb143 and Teri H. like this

Amy Ulen

studioscrapping@amyulen.com

Blog:  http://amyulen.com

Shop:  http://amyulen.ctmh.com

Facebook:  http://facebook.com/studioscrapping

YouTube: http://youtube.com/createwithamy

#24 Krystal K

Krystal K

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationAnchorage AK

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:02 AM

Maybe if you make a layout or art journaling page about your depression and how you have gotten to this point, it will help you get your mojo back.
  • janygb143 likes this

#25 Teri H.

Teri H.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationLethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 23 April 2016 - 10:22 AM

AmyUlen,

I was diagnosed with depression about 5 years ago, and am also in a much better place than I was from 2011-2014. I owe a lot of my progress (and maintenance) of my wellness to my devotion to journaling. I use my scrapbooking stash in my journal to make it even more fun and pretty, which not only boosts my spirit, but motivates me to keep reflecting in there--a win-win situation. I call it "artful journaling". In a way, it's a lot like mindful colouring (which is all the rage right now), because it's an opportunity to slow down, to play, and to reflect. 

I think a reason why it works so well for me is that I'm focusing this time (and these supplies) just on myself...because I'm worthy of that. If you like to journal, maybe this is a way to play with scrapping products AND nurture your spirit? Once you feel stronger and more alive, then your motivation to scrapbook may come back.

I wish you all the best. One day at a time. 

• janygb143 and Melissa like this

Loving the Literary Life

www.thestoryknows.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users