24 replies to this topic

#1 toribissell

toribissell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:39 AM

So the last couple days I've been listening to old PRT episodes...I was listening to one about scrapbooking about Kids with disabilities and another one about infertility and I'm so thankful for the sensitivity you showed Noell to the contributors. It got me thinking about scrapbooking difficult topics and I was wondering if maybe you might consider doing a show some time on dealing with mental health concerns. I have struggled with extreme social anxiety and I wonder if there are other scrapbookers out there who have scrapbooked about their mental health concerns or the mental health concerns of a loved one.  Have they addressed these concerns in their scrapbooks or pages?  How do the handle this topic?  How do they handle difficult moments. For example when I went to Italy we visited the Vatican and I had an extremely difficult time because of the huge crowds. It was the worst day of my entire life. Later when I was going back and scrapbooking my trip to Italy I wasn't sure how to handle it. I wondered: Do I skip that day? Do I include it?  Do I talk about the challenges? or Do I just gloss over it?  I ended up scrapbooking it...and it was hard but I'm glad I did. I would love to hear an episode on this (I know it would be a difficult topic) but I know you could handle it sensitively and with love. I'm sure there are others out there who also struggle with mental health concerns (theirs or a loved ones) and I'm sure they would also appreciate this topic. 

• Laura, Melissa, anandi and 3 others like this

#2 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, CANADA

Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:55 PM

I just want to say that I was glad to read that you did end up scrapbooking it although it was difficult for you.  Good for you!  I think it is just as important to document those times and feelings as it is definitely part of who you are and that needs to be understood... I try to keep in mind when I am scrapbooking that it is more than just the place and time information that should be there but also your impressions/feelings of that place and time and how it affected you - it gives more insight into you as a person for whomever is looking at your books.

It sort of ties in with other discussions of journalling in the moment vs months (or even years) after and how the perspective can differ and which is better/worse.

I am all for doing what feels right to you and what you want others to know when they are looking at your books.

• Melissa, mshanhun, Teri H. and 1 other like this

#3 Ohhh_Snap

Ohhh_Snap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:42 PM

I have touched on how anxiety affects me, but haven't yet done a lot of scrapping on it. I am working up to it though. The Bloggess writes a lot about it on her blog.  http://thebloggess.c...e-month-a-year/. I discovered her blog because of the Giant Metal Chicken Beyonce.

I put pockets on most of my layouts which I find very useful for the less public information.

She also wrote one of my favorite books ever (Let's Pretend This Never Happened).

• Melissa and toribissell like this

#4 toribissell

toribissell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:15 PM

Thanks Ohhh_snap for that resource - totally going to check it out!

#5 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:31 PM

I talked to Ali and she and I are both open to talking about our own anxiety (we both have it) and scrapbooking about it.  Who else would people love to hear on the show who has been open about their mental illness?

• The Other Caroline, jemi, scrappinpage and 5 others like this

#6 toribissell

toribissell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:14 AM

Oh I'm so glad you and Ali are willing to talk about your own anxiety.  I'm not sure if I know of anyone else. I'll look around though.

• The Other Caroline and Melissa like this

#7 Ohhh_Snap

Ohhh_Snap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 03:15 PM

The Bloggess aka Jenny Lawson talks openly about it. I don't know if she scraps, but she shares stories : ).

#8 toribissell

toribissell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:54 PM

Not sure if this is helpful and if you would be interested...but I'd be willing to talk about my anxiety. I struggle with agoraphobia (diagnosed 8 years ago) and panic attacks especially in crowded, public, open places. 

I wasn't really able to find any scrapbookers or scrapbook pages about mental illness or anxiety or things like that. 

• BethQuiroz and Melissa like this

#9 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 06 September 2015 - 09:20 PM

I seem to remember some scrapbooker(s) talking about depression, but I can't remember who or where. (Possibly on an older PRT?)  Does this ring a bell for anyone?  That is another common issue that a lot of people could also relate to.

#10 The Other Caroline

The Other Caroline

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationMy Scrap Room

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:35 PM

i suffer from anxiety and used to have horrible panic attacks. I'm very open to talking about it because I think it's important to lift the stigma from mental issues, and to have others realize that the things are just as real as high blood pressure and diabetes. 

Perhaps if you don't want to journal about a particular day right on the page. toribissell, you could do some hidden journaling. Myself, I have done an 8.5 x 11 page and stuck in in-between the regular 12 x 12 pages with a bookmark hanging out. That way I don't forget it's there, but others don't really think to pull it out. It they ask, I'd just say, "sorry, that's super personal to me." Sometimes journaling about personal challenges can be very therapeutic, because when you reflect on them years later, you can see how far you've come.  

• Melissa and Julie Paradise like this

Caroline, Formerly "Purple Sparkles"

#11 GwynnAsbury

GwynnAsbury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationMountain View, CA

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:28 AM

I love that you have stepped forward to share Tori!  This sounds like an awesome topic..... I have written about this before when I was a contributor for Scrapbook.com/Scrapjazz.com -  I just wanted to throw my two cents in....  Part of the reason why it may be difficult to find information or pages about Mental Health Concerns is because of the Stigma.  I myself scrapbook about the symptoms of Mental Health which impact my family and those I love - out of respect for their privacy I don't share those layouts, and they go in a special place.  As I do traditional 12x12 and pocket pages, sometimes the days that are a real struggle find a little journaling card in my project life.  

I have done this because the symptoms are a real part of the life of my family and at times determine what we do or what gets done.  While I don't share it publically, I do want my future generations and children to know about these things - and to see how these fit in with a life filled with joy and happiness.  Not only that, but scrapbooking about it and Project Lifing it has been a great way to track when symptoms happen, how long they last, and the time of year - which I can then share with providers involved in our lives.

Although it may be too soon - I also suggest Heidi Swapp.....

• janygb143, Melissa and Julie Paradise like this

#12 Ingunn

Ingunn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 31 October 2015 - 10:36 AM

I would love to hear an episode about this! I've been very open in my scrapbooks about my journey out of depression and have found it to be a very therapeutic hobby in general. Journaling about it makes me really think through my situation and understand a lot of things about myself, and if I'm starting to feel blue, flipping through my scrapbooks or picking photos to scrapbook makes me remember that hey, my life is pretty damn cool and I have a lot of things to be thankful for and proud of.

• Noell, Melissa, MiaScraps and 1 other like this

#13 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 09:04 AM

This topic is on my priority list. Since the episodes are so spaced out right now, it'll be a while, though. I'm hoping it will be our February episode. I really want Ali Edwards on this one, and her schedule is always tricky, so we'll see how it goes. I know she wants to discuss this, too, so hopefully we can make it work!

I've been dealing with some of this myself. The reason we decreased PRT episodes is actually because I've been having extreme anxiety with accompanying depression. Well, there's that, plus the fact that it is literally impossible for us at this time to fit all our current demands into the number of hours in the day if we do PRT every week. There just aren't enough hours. Anyway, I'm not 100% out of the anxiety part of this most recent swing, but I'm close and doing much better.

• BethQuiroz, jemi, janygb143 and 4 others like this

#14 Ingunn

Ingunn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:11 AM

I'm glad to hear you're doing better, Noell. These things come and go in peaks and valleys, and with everything that happened in your life last year - losing your father, being injured, it's no wonder things have been hard. Take your time, and don't hesitate to seek help if you need to. 

Are you able to dance yet or are you still injured? It seems like dancing for you is like hiking for me, and losing that outlet/endorphin boost is rough. 

• janygb143 and Maplestock like this

#15 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, CANADA

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:31 AM

I ditto Ingunn's comment above.

The road of life is sometimes far from smooth and reaching out for help and support can make a difference.

I am touched Noell that you feel comfortable enough with your members to open up and tell us your reasons for your decisions and as always we support you and want you to put yourself first!  Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

• janygb143 and Melissa like this

#16 Julie Paradise

Julie Paradise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 03 November 2015 - 01:26 PM

Dear Noell, 

thanks for sharing this really personal issue with us. (I like the fact that your are able and willing to share, not the fact that ... sometimes the like-button makes me cringe ...)

Feeling overwhelmed by too many tasks is dangerous for your mental health -- and happiness ;-) -- so we are all happy that you and Izzy are still willing to give us a monthly PRT. 

Thank you ever so much!

• janygb143, anandi and Maplestock like this

#17 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:30 PM

I'm glad to hear you're doing better, Noell. These things come and go in peaks and valleys, and with everything that happened in your life last year - losing your father, being injured, it's no wonder things have been hard. Take your time, and don't hesitate to seek help if you need to. 

Are you able to dance yet or are you still injured? It seems like dancing for you is like hiking for me, and losing that outlet/endorphin boost is rough. 

Thank you all for all of your support!

Ingunn -- Yes, dancing has always been a big saver of my own personal sanity, so it adds to my anxiety when I'm not doing it. I did take my first ballet class again a couple of weeks ago and was surprised to find that I could jump and turn and do things with zero signs of ligament weakness. I'm just weaker because of muscle atrophy, which is no big deal. I can get that back. I only have the time to take one class a week right now, and unfortunately, while I was gone, we lost a couple of our other dancers, so now that I'm back and ready to go, class keeps getting canceled because there aren't always enough of us. I'm hoping that chances and class will be able to be steady again.

But this past year (after my prior injury before this latest one!!) I learned that yoga fulfills me in similar ways that dance does -- at least to some degree. So I have been doing yoga several times a week and that helps!

• Laura, janygb143, Melissa and 2 others like this

#18 BethQuiroz

BethQuiroz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:31 AM

Noell - thank you so much for sharing! It's helpful to know we aren't alone in the world. I've suffered from depression and anxiety off and on for most of my life, so I totally get where you're coming from.

A word of advice - when dreaming about moving to the northwestern US, keep your health in mind. I'm in Montana and I have real problems with Seasonal Affective Disorder. I take mega-doses of Vitamin D and use a therapy lamp just to keep my sanity. Around the Winter Solstice, 4:30 PM equals twilight. Last winter, I almost painted my entire kitchen bright white on a whim because I couldn't handle the lack of light (it's bright yellow right now, so you can see how the lack of light affects me! LOL)

I bet you'll find a bunch of scrappers who deal with depression/anxiety/etc. I think creative-types are more prone to mental illness (at least I think I read that somewhere). 

While you're on the subject of mental illness, you could always bring in ADHD as well. That always adds a fun wrinkle!  :D

• Noell, janygb143 and anandi like this

My blog: bethsblatherings.blogspot.com

Instagram:  http://instagram.com/divinemsq

Guest on PRT Episode #205: Cheesy At Heart

VENI VIDI VELCRO - I came, I saw, I stuck around

#19 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 02:48 PM

Noell - thank you so much for sharing! It's helpful to know we aren't alone in the world. I've suffered from depression and anxiety off and on for most of my life, so I totally get where you're coming from.

A word of advice - when dreaming about moving to the northwestern US, keep your health in mind. I'm in Montana and I have real problems with Seasonal Affective Disorder. I take mega-doses of Vitamin D and use a therapy lamp just to keep my sanity. Around the Winter Solstice, 4:30 PM equals twilight. Last winter, I almost painted my entire kitchen bright white on a whim because I couldn't handle the lack of light (it's bright yellow right now, so you can see how the lack of light affects me! LOL)

I bet you'll find a bunch of scrappers who deal with depression/anxiety/etc. I think creative-types are more prone to mental illness (at least I think I read that somewhere). 

While you're on the subject of mental illness, you could always bring in ADHD as well. That always adds a fun wrinkle!  :D

Yes, the weather is a definite concern we have regarding Portland. I told Izzy I would need to spend a significant amount of time there during the winter in one long stay before I could ever commit to the lack of sunshine. I don't know if I can do it.

As for ADHD -- is that considered a mental illness? I mean, I was diagnosed with having ADD by a psychologist, but I have never thought of it as a mental illness. It makes sense, but I'd like to confirm whether it technically is...

• janygb143 likes this

#20 BethQuiroz

BethQuiroz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 04 November 2015 - 02:59 PM

Yes, the weather is a definite concern we have regarding Portland. I told Izzy I would need to spend a significant amount of time there during the winter in one long stay before I could ever commit to the lack of sunshine. I don't know if I can do it.

As for ADHD -- is that considered a mental illness? I mean, I was diagnosed with having ADD by a psychologist, but I have never thought of it as a mental illness. It makes sense, but I'd like to confirm whether it technically is...

I think ADHD is technically a behavioral disorder, but it it also co-morbid with depressive/anxiety disorders as well.

My blog: bethsblatherings.blogspot.com

Instagram:  http://instagram.com/divinemsq

Guest on PRT Episode #205: Cheesy At Heart

VENI VIDI VELCRO - I came, I saw, I stuck around

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users