4 replies to this topic

#1 Ohhh_Snap

Ohhh_Snap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:33 AM

My sister has an awesome Nikon Camera and helped me by taking some pictures, but they are NEF files. I dabble with Photohop Elements 6 and a Panasonic Lumix, so I pretty much live in the digital stone age.

Is there an easy way to convert NEF files to TIFFs, or PNGs or even good old JPEGs?

#2 Ohhh_Snap

Ohhh_Snap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:33 AM

PS I have Windows

#3 Ohhh_Snap

Ohhh_Snap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 03:50 PM

I found a (free) program on Nikon in case anyone else has this issue : )

#4 Alden03

Alden03

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:43 PM

If you're referring to the file size on the disk, ie: how much room it occupies, that's driven by the file format, degree and type of compression, and so on. If NEF is a raw file format, it's likely using very efficient non-lossy compression.

The graphical size is what you want to keep an eye on: the horizontal and vertical dimensions of the image in pixels.

#5 Alden03

Alden03

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:55 PM

50mm lenses are relatively simple to make, and that's one reason why they're relatively inexpensive. Even assuming the same level of build quality, optical quality, and mechanical sophistication, a 50/1.8 would be cheaper than a 28/1.8 or 85/1.8 or 200/1.8; likewise, a 50/1.4 would be cheaper than a 35/1.4 or 24/1.4 or an f/1.4 telephoto. You're probably best to save up for a while, and to look for a used lens in reasonable condition to save some money relative to buying new.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users