23 replies to this topic

#1 Anika

Anika

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:29 PM

We're likely moving in the next year and I want to tell the stories of this place we've lived in for the last 6 years. It's the only city our kids have known.

What stories should I wrote about?

Question prompt ideas?

People we know, how we met, what activities we shared...

What our home was like

Maps of area
  • janygb143 and Julie Paradise like this

#2 Anika

Anika

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:11 PM

Some more questions I've thought of:

-why we moved there
-what we like/don't like about the place
-what milestones happened to the city while we lived there
-what makes the place unique
-details about our home, how much we paid, how many square feet, etc
-travelling between this place and visiting family (8 hour drive for us)
  • janygb143, Melissa, LonR and 1 other like this

#3 Anika

Anika

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:44 PM

It seems I am answering my own question, ha!

Or maybe I'm just processing the story idea and maybe others will find it helpful.

A big part of the story of this place is the people we love here. I would like to include a photo of them and what they mean to us.

And if I'm brave, I could ask them to write a message for us when we leave. If I do this in page protectors, I could give them a journal card I could slip in the page. Then I'd also have their handwriting.
  • MiaScraps, kraftkris and Julie Paradise like this

#4 kraftkris

kraftkris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:55 PM

I think it is a great idea!  You have some good questions to answer!  Thinking of Ali Edward's story theme this month, "Go", you could also scrapbook some of the places you go routinely, stores, restaurants, etc.

• janygb143, Melissa and MiaScraps like this

#5 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:47 PM

I think there have been a few episodes about Places we live, so you might want to check there, too! I know that Elizabeth Dillow/Stephanie Howell touched on it in an episode about the military, and Marie-Pierre Capistran/Tiffany W were on another about moving around a lot. There's a thread in the General Scrapbooking section that lists each guest, or you could probably search the Paperclipping blog. Might be a good place to start :) would love to hear from other guests, though! Especially with the KonMari craze that PRT just started in the papercrafting community....!
  • mpcapistran likes this

#6 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:33 AM

I think this is a fantastic idea for a topic. I kind of wish that I had scrapbooked other cities/towns I've lived in, and since I am not planning on living where I live for the rest of my life, I would definitely like to hear more about these ideas.

• janygb143 likes this

#7 bestcee

bestcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:02 AM

We took a couple of days before we moved and went on our normal drive but pretended we were tourists (that would never visit again) . So we stopped and got a photo of the town sign. We got a photo of the park we visited often. The farm we bought milk at and grocery store we walked to. The 'hobbit' house we smiled at every time we passed it. The library. It was like doing a day in the life project, we just made sure not to be home. We also took a photo of our street sign.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
  • janygb143, MiaScraps and Julie Paradise like this

#8 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:47 PM

I'd like to suggest, in the same vein, if you are going to leave a job, take some photos before you go.  I worked at a company for almost 10 years and didn't take a single photo and REALLY regret it now :(

• janygb143, mshanhun, MiaScraps and 2 others like this

#9 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:48 PM

You have some great ideas there. Don't forget why you're moving away. What circumstances or decisions led to that move? Any quirky things about your house that you've loved to hate or grown to love over the years? Take photos. What makes your house special? What changes did you make to your house while there? What are your favorite rooms/areas?

Sorry, I know you were looking for ways to document the town, but I think documenting the home is important, too.

As for the town: Do you have pictures of the kids at their school(s)? The bus stop? The park(s) they played at? The friends they've made? Or you've made?

• MiaScraps and Julie Paradise like this

#10 Anika

Anika

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:37 PM

Thank you for all the responses, they're super helpful and inspiring!

I'm listening to a Paperclipping podcast that's related:

PRT051: Location, location, location
http://www.paperclip...ation-location/

I also found a couple home mini books made by Elise Blaha Cripe:
http://eliseblaha.ty...home-sweet.html

http://eliseblaha.ty...photo-book.html

And a home decor (paint swatches, etc) mini book:
http://eliseblaha.ty...r-minibook.html

A Pinterest board about moving house:
https://www.pinteres...89795967186366/
  • janygb143 and Julie Paradise like this

#11 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:53 PM

Thank goodness for the internet! No idea how I found inspiration before!

#12 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:35 PM

Okay, ladies -- help me think. Who are the exciting scrapbookers you'd love to hear on the show that have moved to another town? (other than the ones listed above who we've already had on?).

• janygb143 likes this

#13 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:18 PM

Do you mean totally new to the show?

Janet Phillips (runs the Daily Digi now) lived in Indonesia and the US and has moved quite a bit. She's done several blog posts about moving and photos to take etc.

People who've been on before but not on this topic:
I know Lain Ehmann is always fun and had move across the country a few times

I myself have also moved a couple of time done two compete house renovation albums. Also a dozen or so pages about the town itself I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • janygb143 likes this

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#14 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:20 PM

Will see if I can think of a few more people. I can see blog posts in my head but can't remember names right now!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#15 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:28 AM

What about Marie P Capistran? Have you had her on before? Maybe so.

http://mpcapistran.b...p (Marie-Scrap)

#16 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:03 PM

I actually mean we need someone new to the topic, but not new to the show. We're actually avoiding having brand new guests right now because we don't have a sponsor to help pay for the costs of new guests.

We did have Marie Capistran on the show and we talked a lot about her moves. Can't remember if we talked specifically about scrapbooking a place before leaving it, though. Anyone know?

Lain Ehmann is definitely a good choice (as long as it was important to her to scrapbook about the places she left. I'll have to ask her).

Anyone else who HAS been on the show before, who moved far away while a scrapbooker, but who has not talked about a similar topic as this?

#17 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 09:15 PM

Kelly Purkey or Kelly Sill? Sue althouse? Shimelle? I *think* they've moved around. Stacy Julian for sure has made pages/mini-books before moving (briefly mentioned on past episodes). hmmm

#18 bestcee

bestcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:43 PM

I don't think Shimelle has written a lot about her moves? I seem to recall her saying so in the Story Centered Album class. Mostly because it was very frustrating.

Hasn't everyone moved at least once in their lives? Goodness, I've moved so many times I've lost count! But the last move I had from MA to UT is where I really took the time to document what the place was like before we moved.

Has Katrina Kennedy ever moved? I think if she has, she probably has great photos about the old place that would go along with Noell talking about how she documents it.

• janygb143 and Melissa like this

#19 Anika

Anika

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:17 PM

Jennifer Wilson:

http://www.simplescr...remember-house/

It looks like she was thinking of making these photos and stories about her home into a photo book.

• janygb143, mshanhun and MiaScraps like this

#20 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 16 August 2015 - 01:16 AM

[quote name="Noell" post="18086" timestamp="1439521418"]I actually mean we need someone new to the topic, but not new to the show. We're actually avoiding having brand new guests right now because we don't have a sponsor to help pay for the costs of new guests.
We did have Marie Capistran on the show and we talked a lot about her moves. Can't remember if we talked specifically about scrapbooking a place before leaving it, though. Anyone know?

PRT 177 Rootless - I haven't re-listened in recent times. I can't remember if she specifically spoke about actually scrapbooking about the moves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users