#21 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:53 PM

if we saw it as merely a "hobby" then quitting and/or letting go of things would be super easy, right?

Wrong!! I attend a craft group and I'm a hobbyist musician. EVERYONE feels guilt about incomplete projects and regrets the waste of changing or leaving a hobby.

Scrapbookers do see our own hobby as more than a hobby but even the girls in the Nail Polish Buy/Sell/Swap feel guilty about giving up nail art! It's not like your manicure lasts more than a few days!

:) let's not get elitist here :) almost everyone has good intentions when they set out on a new hobby

Ok so maybe I'm playing Devil's advocate a little here but I'm tired of scrappers thinking they corner the market on guilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Julie Paradise likes this

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#22 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:29 AM

Not everyone Melissa. "Guilt" is not a word in my life. Nor is bored. I make choices. I take ownership. I'm also old so I've been there and done that . I'm relaxed. I enjoy. I'm done with over analyzing.
  • Sandi, janygb143, Melissa and 4 others like this

#23 littletoki

littletoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:51 AM

I've done PL for three now years and just finished my last album. I wanted to quit after year one but my sister (bless her she is the best sister in the world) kept gifting me PL kits for birthdays and Christmas. It definitely became a chore for me too and I have a list of all the various reasons why it didn't work for me. I'm glad I've documented those years and but I think it also brought with it a certain pressure to document EVERYTHING. Things I didn't even really feel like documenting! I just needed to fill a page. And all that formatting. I swear there were weeks when I would want to bang my head on my desk because I had 6 landscape photos and 1 portrait. And I've realized that I never flip through my albums! The end product just isn't appealing to me. My photos clash with the cards and things keep falling out as I turn the page. It's a hot mess. It also took away from time I would have rather spent working on my regular 12x12 albums. Isn't it funny how we set up these rules for ourselves that we must be caught up on PL before scrapping what we really want to scrap?  :lol: I am grateful that I had the chance to try it because it was a lot of fun early on and it taught me tons about what works for me and what doesn't. 

I think I may go back to my original daily memory keeping system. I had a nice journal (more of an artist's sketchbook really) that I would write in whenever I felt like it. Sometimes small photos or business cards would end up in there but I didn't feel the same pressure that I feel with PL. 

Now what to do with all those leftover cards...  :huh:

• janygb143, Melissa and mshanhun like this

#24 pprpluspics01

pprpluspics01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:14 PM

Since "quitting" I've made 4 traditional pages and have enjoyed it so much. The pressure to have to take pics all the time is gone, that's nice. I will be doing week in the life, and also will continue to do Dec daily every year, so that will cover my daily stuff that won't be covered in pl any more. Now that the month is almost over I think I'll go through my library and print my favorite photos from the month and throw them in my 6x8 mini album and call it good. I don't feel pressure to keep ephemera either. Trying to fit that in my pl was a pain too. I'll still keep greeting cards though. Probably put them in a Becky Higgins envelope for the year or something. So far I'm loving the freedom I feel not having to spend hours sorting and printing photos and going through my journal and ephemera to put together a week or a month. And not feeling bad or overwhelmed about being behind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Melissa likes this

#25 pprpluspics01

pprpluspics01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:17 PM

Forthe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#26 SueTR

SueTR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA, USA

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:25 PM

I've been did PL weekly in '11, '12, '13 and I am up to October '14.  so 2014 still not done, I picked one BH kit per year and only used that which made it simple.  This year, I decided that weekly was too much work and I'd do monthly using the SC PL kit…thought it would be simpler WRONG, too many photos, too little editing, too many choices!  I have Jan 2015 done and have done nothing else with in 2015…it sits on my table and mocks me….I sorted Feb '15 photos into weeks last night.  I think I needlessly complicated things thinking Monthly would be better….nope.  So I am thinking of canceling my PL card subscription as I think I have a grace period with their new kit club model.  I'll use what I have and what I can print off from digi supplies.    I keep on doing them because they are the books my kids reach for to look at over and over again.  I feel like the 12x12 layouts are for me, and they PL books are for the kids.  So not much help but I'm not sure I'm ready to quit…maybe just go back to what I know...

#27 Scrapgurl

Scrapgurl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationNorthern British Columbia, Canada

Posted 09 August 2015 - 10:38 PM

I finally tried it out this year and managed to do two weeks and realized that I hated it. Every. Single. Minute. I finished out the month, but I'm done! Why did I start? Well I'd been hearing about it forever, even while trying to avoid it, and some of my favourite designers and scrapbookers were all about how great it was. I already had cards and pocket pages in my stash, so I thought "why not?" Totally not for me. Let it go! Enjoy creating in other ways, that's my advice. Above all don't feel guilty or badly about stopping!
  • janygb143, Melissa, mshanhun and 1 other like this

#28 stitching.lady

stitching.lady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:51 AM

I've never gone down the PL route but I do record the everyday on my 12x12 layouts as well as the big stuff. Everyday things I've included have been getting a new appliance (washing machine/ cooker etc), reformatting my old laptop, snapshots of my teenage son sitting on his father's chair (an everyday occurrence until the chair broke!). I also scrap the unexpected (the broken chair!) as well as days out, birthdays etc. I'm happy with the mix in my albums and glad not to have the pressure to complete a certain amount each week / month.

• Laura, janygb143, Melissa and 2 others like this

#29 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:28 PM

Not everyone Melissa. "Guilt" is not a word in my life. Nor is bored. I make choices. I take ownership. I'm also old so I've been there and done that . I'm relaxed. I enjoy. I'm done with over analyzing.

Yeah so that post was a bit of a rant. I've feel like everyone is guilty about everything these days.

I don't feel guilty about my hobbies that are dormant :) I'll come back to them some time :) (like my calligraphy which I have started again after a couple of years)

My grandma always told me only a bore is bored!

So awesome to hear of another guilt free scrapper!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • MiaScraps likes this

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#30 Tryin Digi

Tryin Digi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:46 PM

So refreshing to hear somebody say "I quit." I did PL for two years--2013 and 2014--and I still have to finish the last two page spreads of 2014. The only reason I managed to (almost) finish two years of PL was because I did a hybrid version. That way I didn't have to worry about the size or orientation of my pictures, because I could size them in Photoshop Elements. My page spreads consisted largely of pictures and journaling, so I also didn't get bogged down in (or slowed down by) the finer details of embellishing. The first year I pretty much followed a weekly page-spread format, but the second year I largely followed a bi-weekly format and I was much looser with dates. Title cards no longer listed weeks, but specific date-ranges. I also incorporated traditional 12x12 layouts in my PL album the second year. I felt though that I ended up documenting much the same kind of aspects and events of our daily lives during the second year, so I decided I did not want to continue a third year. Besides, my daughter graduated from high school in 2014 and left home, so I felt there was less to document anyway. And by the end of the second year, the commitment to PL definitely felt more like a chore than a joy. 

Since stopping with Project Life, I have made a dent in scrapbooking older pictures, sometimes in a traditional 12x12 and sometimes in a digital or hybrid format. I have made a couple of mini-albums, and I have become interested in art journaling. I also find myself taking far fewer pictures, because I am not obsessing any longer about how I am going to fill a double-page spread with pictures every week. I enjoy looking through the four PL albums I produced in those two years though, and I find the page spreads document our lives in a much more detailed way--focusing more on the mundane details of everyday life as well as specific events--than the more event-driven pages I had made up to that point. And I also find I have a keener memory of those two years of my life, because I spent so much time documenting them. And I am pretty pleased with how the albums turned out too. I tried to use certain conventions throughout each year that tied individual page spreads together, and on each page spread I tried to carry through a limited color scheme, so I don't feel the page-spreads are too much of an uncoordinated mess. After two years of PL though, I definitely wanted to move on and have more freedom of choice (of format) in my memory keeping.  

• Melissa, mshanhun, MiaScraps and 1 other like this

#31 JDKelly

JDKelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationBeaumont, AB, Canada

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:04 AM

First & formost, your craft should make you HAPPY! If your current approach isn't working, then it's time to change it up. Life is too short & our crafting time is too fleeting to be carrying around guilt. Earlier this year I was struggling too, and it took a few tries to find something that brought the spark back. I am glad that you found something that brought crafty happiness back to you!
  • janygb143, mshanhun, MiaScraps and 1 other like this

#32 Marieitis

Marieitis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 05:03 PM

I haven't done PL as I am not very good at anything routine long term but I love the cards and the layout ideas.  A few months ago I had the brainwave to include the PL products mixed in with my regular layouts.  Of course I realize now that  hundreds of others have thought of it and are doing that already.  I don't scrap chronologically, but do store my layouts that way in albums, so I got a bunch of PL pockets and put in the pictures that I don't feel inspired to scrap, That way they are there to look at in context rather than stored on the computer or printed and just in a box. If I get around to making layouts...great...if not, it doesn't matter. I have also found the PL system great for holiday pics.  We just did a 10 day family driving holiday and I was able to print some pics on the way and together with an album and cards had half of it finished by the time we got home. Great thing to keep me occupied in the car :)  I just did a final pic print when we got home and a couple of hours later my son had an album to take for show and tell on the second day back to school (middle of the school year here in Oz).  I will just go back and do a few 12x12 layouts of the really good and special photos with stories to add but it was great to have something ready straight away to show friends that wanted to know how our trip went and for the kids to look back over.

• janygb143, mshanhun and Julie Paradise like this

#33 Alissa@lifeonlakeland

Alissa@lifeonlakeland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:06 PM

So I recently "quit" project life, as I started a new job in May and with the summer didn't make it a priority to work on it and then I realized I could just be done as of the end of May. And I haven't looked back. I was really on the fence about my 2015 album, as I had begun PL In 2012 when I had my second child and wanted a way to continue scrapbooking/documenting but something that was simple and easy since I also work full time. I LOVED IT. And I love all the growth my three albums have documented. However, I always knew my weekly project life albums would end at some point and I'd put that at around 2015 when my oldest began kindergarten. There are still times I take a photo and think, "hmm that'd be great for project life, but not so much for a regular page," so I'm still working that out. One thing I am still doing that helps capture bits of our everyday is to create monthly pocket spread with my top 10 faves. I use Design F and that also helps use up some of my core kit cards. Plus I use a PL card on almost every layout for a journaling spot!

• janygb143, Melissa, mshanhun and 2 others like this

#34 IAmMikki

IAmMikki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:52 AM

I do Project Life and I've been doing Project Life since 2010 and I've thought several times of giving it up, but all I have to do is look through those albums and I know I can't. I have captured so many incredible moments, moments that wouldn't have been recorded if it weren't for Project Life.

Every year we proclaim our resolutions on message boards and every year, THIS will be the year I get back into a routine. Year 1, I ROCKED year 1. I worked on my layouts weekly and it was great and since then I haven't been able to keep that up. That's okay too. I do both traditional layouts and Project Life, sometimes I look at the paper and the things and I feel stifled, that's also when I'm glad I have Project Life. Project Life is my escape from layouts, and then sometimes it will go untouched for a month or two.

Bottom line: If you aren't enjoying it, stop. It doesn't mean you will never or can't start again but for right now, there's no shame in quitting.
  • janygb143, geordie281, Melissa and 3 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project Life

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users