33 replies to this topic

#1 pprpluspics

pprpluspics

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:32 PM

I didn't put this in the Project Life forum because I figured if you have already quit doing Project Life it is unlikely you would be reading posts in that forum.  I am going to quit Project Life and I was wondering if any of you have and if you regret it.  I have been doing Project Life in some form or another since 2011, and I think perhaps I'm tired of it.  I'm not sure.  I love looking at those albums, but I don't enjoy all the work that I put into it, time that I could be spending on regular pages.  I am thinking about stopping as of the end of June and then doing Ali Edwards' Week in the Life every year as a sort of substitute for getting a glimpse of our daily life.  I haven't done a traditional page in months, and have done maybe 5 a year since doing Project Life.  I love traditional pages, I just don't have time to do both PL and traditional pages, and I feel like I can't work on a traditional page unless my PL album is caught up.  I still have a lot of PL product, but I can probably try to incorporate some of it into traditional pages.  I also can still do pocket page scrapbooking, just not in a daily or monthly format.  Just maybe do a pocket here and there of small stories, stories I wouldn't necessarily want to tell on a 12x12 page.  So I guess I'm just curious what your thoughts are, if you have done PL and loved it but stopped, and if you somehow incorporated PL style scrapbooking in your regular albums without any daily/weekly/monthly format.  Thanks in advance!

• mshanhun and anandi like this

#2 jschow

jschow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:51 PM

I quit project life and went to Chatbooks. I found that my Instagram photos made up most of my PL anyway and with Chatbooks, I can have all of my Instagram photos in a little 6x6 book for about $6/month. I made a YouTube video all about it! You can watch it here: 

• Sandi, Melissa, mshanhun and 3 others like this

#3 LonR

LonR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:52 PM

I haven't quit, but I can validate your feelings. I feel like PL is a chore. It takes so much time to organize pictures, then order them. And then the time spent putting the month ( or pages) together is kind of tedious. I don't feel creative doing PL.

And I feel like I need to be caught up on that before I do traditional, creative pages. I'm not at the point of quitting. I need the result of the everyday pictures being documented. (I haven't scrapped since NSD, PL is stuck on March)

I'm looking forward to reading others thoughts on this!

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk
  • pprpluspics likes this

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 17 July 2015 - 04:19 PM

I did Project 365 with Becky's kit back in 2009, the year before her first Project Life kit hit the stands. I really love the end result, but it was way too much of a chore to me, so I did not jump on the PL bandwagon. I was, however, watching as everyone else did and wishing I had a way to capture all that daily stuff as well as get myself and my husband into my books. Last year I did a 6x8 PL with as many pages per month as I needed to tell the stories of the month. Worked great. Would consider doing it again, for sure. This year I was intrigued by the planner craze, so I bought the Heidi Swapp planner from 2014 (blue striped cover, 8 1/2 x 11 landscape) and I'm using that. It's fun and easy to keep up with. Not sure yet what I'll do for 2016, but I'm pretty sure it will be one of these smaller formats.

So, I guess my thoughts are to try and tweak the format so that it suits you, or just don't do it for a few years and see if you miss it.

• pprpluspics likes this

#5 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 17 July 2015 - 04:40 PM

Life is too short to not have fun while scrapping!  I totally get how you feel.  I did it weekly in 2012, then every 2 weeks in 2013,and then monthly from 2014 on.  I haven't yet finished the last 2 months of 2014, and still need to do April - June 2015.  It was starting to feel like a chore for me as well and also preventing me from scrapping regular layouts because I was feeling "behind".

I recently got reinvigorated by switching to a smaller format - I 'm doing 8.5 x 11.  I continue because I like the albums and it also forces me to stay (relatively) up to date on photo sorting and editing which helps in my other scrapbooking too.  I am not committing to 2016 just yet.  :)  But monthly, and 8.5x11 is much easier, as is not getting TOO far behind.  I love it when I'm actually working on it and when I'm caught up - it's just the "weight" of procrastination/being "behind" I don't love.

• Melissa, pprpluspics, HelenH and 2 others like this

#6 Ohhh_Snap

Ohhh_Snap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 04:46 PM

I've never done Project Life, but I was wondering if it couldn't be done on traditional pages using some of the cards where ever it was appropriate.

About 20 years ago I started a scrapbook for my (then) baby and it had photo pocket pages as well as full pages and pages to store negatives (so now it's a time capsule too lol). But I always had pictures that were going the "wrong" way for the pockets, so they didn't get used very much.

• pprpluspics likes this

#7 pprpluspics

pprpluspics

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:07 PM

I decided to end my PL book at 6/30.  I still have to do an intro page and then I'll do a last page.  I took the few photos that I had printed for July and I'm going to use the PL 6x8 album and do a "mini pages" album.  I'll use that for random stories that are too small for a 12x12 page, but I still want to document.  It will be free flowing as in I will have pictures/stories by month, but won't be in any kind of date order or a weekly/monthly spread type of thing.  I'm not even going to concern myself with dating the photos unless the date is important to the story.  As long as they're in there by month I think I will be okay.  I'm hoping this works out better for me.  And I made a regular page tonight!  My oldest dog is 12, so every year he lives now is a blessing.  I wanted to document some stories I haven't told about him while he is still with us.  When our other dog died suddenly at age 4 I made a photo book, and it was the hardest thing to do.  I wanted to make the book soon after his death so that I wouldn't forget anything, but when the book came in the mail it was months before I would even look at it.  I don't want the same thing to happen with my other dog, I want to have most of his stories documented before he leaves us.  

• Laura, mshanhun, anandi and 3 others like this

#8 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:22 PM

I also did not join the PL team but saw the format as an opportunity to incorporate into my traditional albums. The idea is to use the page protectors to document events requiring a larger number of photos (not wanting to pare down and only pick a few for a traditional page). As I mentioned on another thread I plan to do this for our 3 week staycation. In a way it will be daily documentation in a pocket page structure but it will only be for that time period. It will be like having a mini album inside a traditional album. I love the idea of mixing up formats. My understanding is that many people follow this concept.
  • jolorvida and Ohhh_Snap like this

#9 pprpluspics

pprpluspics

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:27 PM

I've never done Project Life, but I was wondering if it couldn't be done on traditional pages using some of the cards where ever it was appropriate.

About 20 years ago I started a scrapbook for my (then) baby and it had photo pocket pages as well as full pages and pages to store negatives (so now it's a time capsule too lol). But I always had pictures that were going the "wrong" way for the pockets, so they didn't get used very much.

I did that for a few months to get myself caught up.  I hadn't done PL from April to June, and then a week or so ago I got myself caught up by using 12x12 white card stock.  I took a block of colored card stock that would cover one day, so for example a 5x5 piece of card stock with 2x2 pictures on it, and then glued that down to the white card stock.  Then if I had a day with only one 2x2 picture I would cut a piece of colored card stock a little bit bigger than the picture and use that. Then I fit as many blocks on one piece of white card stock as I could.  This eliminated the problem of trying to find the right sized pocket pages, and my pictures were grouped on colored card stock instead in pocket pages.  I will try to post a picture tomorrow so you can see what I'm talking about.

• MiaScraps and Ohhh_Snap like this

#10 pprpluspics

pprpluspics

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:31 PM

I quit project life and went to Chatbooks. I found that my Instagram photos made up most of my PL anyway and with Chatbooks, I can have all of my Instagram photos in a little 6x6 book for about $6/month. I made a YouTube video all about it! You can watch it here: 

Thanks Jen!  I don't use Instagram much, but that is a great idea.

#11 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 08:55 AM

I started a PL-type album this year and had a really hard time with it at first. What you said about it being a "chore" resonated with me because it was starting to feel that way in the beginning. Part of that, too, is the content of some of my weeks. 2015 has been a very hard year so far, and I didn't want to leave the real-life stuff out of my album; I wanted to create a real portrait of our year. At the same time, trying to figure out how to incorporate my nephew being diagnosed with leukemia for the 2nd time in the same week as Valentine's Day was a bit tricky. At least for me.

I think that as others have said, it shouldn't be a chore. Sometimes, there's a challenge to make any project come out the way you want it to be, and that's okay. Challenges are part of creativity. At the same time, I don't want my paper-crafting to cause me any unhappiness or unpleasantness because it's supposed to be the thing I do to relieve stress, not create more. Right now, I'm happy with my PL album, even though I haven't worked on it in awhile. That's okay. I'm pretty good about recording details in my journal, so they're there when I'm ready to fill in the spaces in the album.

My advice: do what you love. If you're not loving it, do something else.  :D

• Teri H., anandi and Ohhh_Snap like this

#12 geordie281

geordie281

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationAdelaide South Australia

Posted 18 July 2015 - 03:12 PM

PL has changed so much since BH first launched it, and basically everyone has complicated it. We could all just go back to the basics of what it is about - print out a few pictures for the week ,put them in pockets, slot journaling cards in other pockets. Done. We don't need to be creative with it, with layering, tags, paint etc and  all the other stuff that has crept in. If you miss it you can always return to it in a simple way that doesn't take much time - a few pictures, one core kit; don't look at it as a creative project, but as a way of preserving daily memories in s SIMPLE way, and leave the creative stuff for your traditional pages.

• aliedwards, Julie Paradise and bestcee like this

#13 needtime2scrap

needtime2scrap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNorthern Alberta

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:52 AM

I'm in the camp of scrapbooking shouldn't be stressful. That being said I do feel that some have made PL way more complicated than it needs to be. I think you can adapt it as you need it or you can let it go. There are no rules and no one will judge you otherwise. In fact I'm sure if you go out and say I'm quiting PL you'll have a bunch of people who cheer you on and who can relate to it.
  • janygb143, MiaScraps, anandi and 1 other like this

#14 bethany_jean

bethany_jean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 11:55 AM

I was getting tired of doing Project Life this year too, so I decided to change things up a bit and I really like what I've been doing. I switched to a monthly format, and I decided to not be too worried about all the pictures being in correct chronological order. But what I like best is incorporating traditional layouts in with my pocket pages. Each month I pick out the pictures that I want to highlight on a traditional page, and I put those pages right in with the pocket layouts. That way I get the best of both pocket and traditional scrapbooking. I choose to highlight some pictures because of the story that goes with it, but sometimes I just really like a picture and want to make a pretty page with it. I am enjoying my scrapbooking so much more now!

• Laura, janygb143, Melissa and 2 others like this

#15 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 20 July 2015 - 01:46 AM

I've never got further than 2 weeks in any given January for that reason. I feel like it's over documenting and I miss out on the big picture/fun.

So I will stick to using the pocket pages for my ever growing memorabilia shelf. I've filled 12 albums with pages in 4 years between digi and memorabilia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • anandi likes this

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#16 bestcee

bestcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:15 AM

I don't call it quitting. I call it an exit plan. My exit plan was originally after 1 year. But due to a lot of life changes, it was extended. My current exit plan is at the end of 2015.

If it doesn't make you happy, then it's not worth doing. Scrapping is a hobby. And it's okay to change how you do the hobby. It's even okay to quit scrapping. You still have a lot of memories documented.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
  • aliedwards, Melissa, mshanhun and 4 others like this

#17 Teri H.

Teri H.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationLethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:54 AM

I did weekly PL for one full year, and was planning to do the same this year, but, you know, LIFE, and so I've moved to a monthly format. It's survival. It's not that it became a chore; I simply don't have the time. I wish I did, because I love looking back at that full year with weekly spreads. 

Having said that, I have now been able to finish other albums with traditional layouts and I'll admit, I enjoy doing those a lot more. I would rather spend my time on that. 

A few weeks ago I posted my misery about needing to quit OLW and these ladies were very supportive and understanding.  :) You came to the right place. :)

As scrappers, we live in awkward tension. We love the hobby and the creative play that it affords, and if we saw it as merely a "hobby" then quitting and/or letting go of things would be super easy, right? But we have a tendency to take it very seriously because it's our STORIES and LIVES we're documenting and so we can feel really guilty when we need to quit/let things go. I'm always struggling to find the balance between the fun/not-taking-myself-too-seriously part and the passion and reverence I have for documenting my story. 

• Laura, janygb143, Melissa and 4 others like this

Loving the Literary Life

www.thestoryknows.com

#18 HelenH

HelenH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 02:16 PM

I considered PL a one-year shot at doing an in-depth look at your daily life. No need to do it every year. I'm surprised how many people actually took it on, and (sort of) stuck with it. I gave up diary keeping many years ago, and have no intention to start doing it with my photos! I did CY365 for 10 months last year - fun, but again, don't miss it. I have plenty to scrap about without committing to a single methodology.

• anandi likes this

#19 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:09 PM

As scrappers, we live in awkward tension. We love the hobby and the creative play that it affords, and if we saw it as merely a "hobby" then quitting and/or letting go of things would be super easy, right? But we have a tendency to take it very seriously because it's our STORIES and LIVES we're documenting and so we can feel really guilty when we need to quit/let things go. I'm always struggling to find the balance between the fun/not-taking-myself-too-seriously part and the passion and reverence I have for documenting my story. 

Yes! Absolutely! You are a wise woman, Teri. :)

#20 Teri H.

Teri H.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationLethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 25 July 2015 - 08:04 PM

Thanks, Melissa! 

• Melissa likes this

Loving the Literary Life

www.thestoryknows.com