#1 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 11 July 2015 - 10:52 PM

In May, I watched my mother-in-law look through my PL 2012 album with my daughters and how difficult it was for her to go through that huge heavy book.  After seeing that, and listening to the "Story Scale" PRT last month, I realized that I could just decided that 8.5 x 11 was "my size" and ditch the 12x12 entirely. For individual layouts it just feels too big, and for PL, a whole album gets too heavy.

So I was thinking I'd soldier through 2015 with all those page protectors I have stockpiled and finish another 12x12 album, and 2016 could be 8.5x11. It's July now and I've only finished the title page and January in my PL album.  So this weekend I was going to catch up a bit and get Feb-April done since I printed the photos a few weeks ago. I had been putting it off, feeling quite uninspired because I'm over the 12x12 size and really was just "waiting" until 2016 to do what I really want to do.

And then it hit me. I bought the Fuse tool and hadn't used it yet. I have an empty 8.5 x 11 album. I have a million PL page protectors that I could trim to fit. And since I'm so far "behind" on PL 2015, I could just switch to 8.5 x 11 NOW.

So last night I redid my cover page, and today I made it a point to learn how to use the Fuse tool.  I redid my 12x12 January pages into the new 8.5x11 format and it was really fast, and I didn't even have to compromise much on what I included - just ditched a few filler cards and had to trim down some photos to fit the smaller sizes of pockets.

It's a fair amount of work to alter page protectors but it feels good to use the ones I already have and the tool works great. I've got a couple of packs of the WRMK 8.5x11 ones on order, too. I am super excited to work on Project Life again!

Just had to share that with people who would understand :)

• Noell, Laura, mariangeles and 10 others like this

#2 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 11 July 2015 - 11:07 PM

So happy you found what you want to do now!! Way to go!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • anandi likes this

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#3 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:47 AM

Now I'm excited about PL again, too :)  And using my scraps with all these odd sized pockets.

• MiaScraps and Maribethm like this

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:09 PM

That's so great that you found something that works for you. That's what it's all about!

#5 joblackford

joblackford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationPacific NW

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:41 AM

Sometimes a change is as good as a rest :) 
I totally agree about 12" binders just being toooo big. It's unwieldy and hard to store. Glad you found a better option that works for your family.

I've been working on 8.5x11" PL this year too. It's a lot more space than the 6x8" albums I'd used before, but still manageable.

• anandi likes this

#6 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:31 PM

I've been working on 8.5x11" PL this year too. It's a lot more space than the 6x8" albums I'd used before, but still manageable.

Yes!  I have actually been using some of Becky Higgins page protectors which are smaller than 8.5" wide (and trimming the top/bottom to fit) and even those reduced sized ones fit PLENTY of stuff for PL.  I am using less "filler" but I'm ok with that - the important stuff is still making it into the album.  I was able to hand the 1/4-full album to my 5yo daughter yesterday and she just curled up in a chair looking at it - so much easier than a giant overstuffed 12x12!

#7 MaryM

MaryM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:48 AM

Anandi, I am doing the very same thing!  Yes, it's a little more work, but definitely worth it to the the 8.5x11 size.  I'm a digital scrapbooker too so have switched to 8.5x11 for digi as well.  I'm considering moving all my albums over to 8.5x11.  I wish someone would come out with more pocket page configurations for 8.5x11 albums. 

• anandi likes this

Mary Moseley, Certified Photo Organizer and Teacher

mary@bephotowise.com

Be PhotoWise www.bephotowise.com | Founding member of the Save Your Photos Day Allicance

Guest on The Digi Show episode 110 talking about scanning your photos

#8 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:16 PM

On this topic, another thing to consider is the size of photos. The ongoing rage to print 2*2 and 3*3 may prove to be a challenge for some elderly persons. I try to avoid this as much as possible for my future self and my elderly family members! 😀 For my mother I put the album down on the dining room table and have her sit up to the table and then I turn the pages for her if she is struggling. She loves looking through the books but she has difficulty with the smallish photos. I hope someone will assist me with my large albums when the time comes.
  • Noell and Julie Paradise like this

#9 Grandma of 9

Grandma of 9

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:37 PM

Where did you buy the Fuse Tool. I checked locol hobbylobby & Michaels they dont carry the Fuse Tool.

#10 Grandma of 9

Grandma of 9

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:44 PM

Mia thanks for pointing out the disadvantage of smaller sizes. Hadn't thought about size. Am thinking of using 8 1/2 × 11 albums because the younger grands have a problem handling 12 x 12
  • MiaScraps likes this

#11 Grandma of 9

Grandma of 9

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:45 PM

Mia thanks for pointing out the disadvantage of smaller sizes. Hadn't thought about size. Am thinking of using 8 1/2 × 11 albums because the younger grands have a problem handling 12 x 12

#12 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:55 PM

Good point. I did discover that little hands grow big quickly. I made my gd mini albums. She still enjoys those although she is now at an age where she has no issue with 12*12. They grow so darn fast!

#13 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:06 PM

Anandi, can you share pics?

• anandi likes this

#14 Ohhh_Snap

Ohhh_Snap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:19 PM

Where did you buy the Fuse Tool. I checked locol hobbylobby & Michaels they dont carry the Fuse Tool.

I found a Project Life Fuse tool which looks identical except the colors at AC Moore for $20. I had to ask if they carried it. It was on an odd endcap and i never would have found it on my own lol.

#15 ScrappinJen

ScrappinJen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:59 AM

I bought my tool at Hobby Lobby. Branded as Project Life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:19 PM

I am so tempted to get this for my husband for his birthday as kind of a joke. When this tool first came out and I showed him the video he said he would totally use it if I got one! Hahaha
  • mshanhun likes this

#17 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:47 PM

Sorry Noell - I hadn't seen your request.  Will take a few photos and post this weekend.

#18 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 01:28 PM

Here are some photos of my 8.5x11 PL album - some of the bottom and top pockets had to be trimmed and/or resealed to fit in the album, but in general it's a pretty good fit. 

http://1drv.ms/1v6aWgJ

I do all the page protectors together before I start the spread for the month so it goes pretty quick.

• Noell, mariangeles, mshanhun and 3 others like this

#19 terriOMG

terriOMG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationWest Bloomfield, Michigan

Posted 08 September 2015 - 07:45 PM

Anandi, your layouts are great! And,yes, I can see where they are a much more manageable size.
  • anandi likes this

#20 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:24 AM

I love this. I want to see more!

• anandi likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users