#1 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, CANADA

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:32 AM

There is a show on the History channel that the family has been watching called Alone. Just wondering if anyone else has been watching it. It is so interesting!
They chose 10 guys who consider themselves survivalists and put them on a remote part of Vancouver Island, BC and basically the last man standing wins $500,000. They got to select 10 items from a list to help them but essentially they have to make/find shelter, food and survive alone in the wilderness with bears, cougars, wolves etc.
It is amazing what some of these guys know about nature and their thoughts when all alone for days in the wild.
Not sure if you can find the episodes already aired but if you can, try and watch it from the beginning.
Anyone watching?

#2 Ohhh_Snap

Ohhh_Snap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 03:00 PM

I don't have cable, but it sounds like an interesting show.

#3 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 03:38 PM

It's been really interesting... only 2 of the guys are Canadian, the rest are from different parts of the U.S. I live in BC and I know we live in a rainforest and have wild animals in our forests but I am glued to this show and parts of it are terrifying but I can't stop watching... can't wait to see who makes it to the end.  Maybe it will be available online at some point - worth checking out if it does.

#4 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:55 PM

The cynic in me wants to know why they would think the north of Vancouver Island would be a real test of survival? Interesting choice of environment. Editing goes a long ways.

#5 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 06:13 AM

The cynic in me wants to know why they would think the north of Vancouver Island would be a real test of survival? Interesting choice of environment. Editing goes a long ways.

#6 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 06:16 AM

When I say north I mean beyond civilization. If you catch an episode they will show it and you'll see. It might as well be the middle of nowhere.
  • mshanhun likes this

#7 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 13 July 2015 - 12:28 AM

The scenery is spectacular. That I know. But the nearest popular park and civilized gravel road are not beyond the reach of the participants. There are people coming and going frequently in this area. The producers were clever in choosing this area. To claim that VI is heavily forested and sparsely populated and teeming with wild critters is stretching the truth. But let's let everyone think that so we can continue to keep a well kept secret!

To be fair I have not watched the show but I have reservations on how the producers and writers twist and tangle words and pictures.

http://adventuress.c...Island-Map2.jpg

#8 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:14 AM

"To be fair I have not watched the show but I have reservations on how the producers and writers twist and tangle words and pictures"

I agree with you MiaScraps, to a point. I am usually quite the cynic with reality shows and I know producers can work the angles, but, you may feel differently when you see it.
I don't believe popular parks and civilized gravel roads are accessible to them because when one participant had to be "rescued" and they couldn't use the plane or boat to get him they had quite a time getting to him - and they knew where they were going!
I am fascinated more by what the participants have to say to the camera (which they do themselves btw, there's no camera crew filming, and their thoughts and feelings when they are alone with themselves. Psychology students should watch this.

Thanks for the map link, from what I can tell they are on the northwest tip, opposite Port Hardy. Pretty remote. Let me know if you do watch it.

#9 joblackford

joblackford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationPacific NW

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:49 AM

I used to watch "SurvivorMan" with my hubby - much better than Bear Grylls, who was always showing off for the camera guys with him. I've forgotten SurvivorMan's name but he was Canadian and he filmed himself and spent a lot of time alone, and he was very honest about the ALONE-ness being the hardest part of survival. He would make himself a cup of tea out of whatever he had access to and sit by the fire and talk about just how terribly lonely he was, even knowing that he could contact a crew for rescue and knowing that he'd be home in a week.

Of course these things are produced and edited to tell a story, but it sounds like a really good story. thanks for the tip.  

• janygb143 likes this

#10 Theelfqueen

Theelfqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Locationcolorado

Posted 25 August 2015 - 02:00 PM

Did you see the Alaska Experience? There were two seasons and both were interesting on a somewhat similar premise (no prize though)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users