#1 Teresa S

Teresa S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:13 AM

I would enjoy a discussion on scrapbookers fascination with having to buy the latest and greatest products.  Why is that?  There are so many Scrapbook Haul videos on YouTube and obviously people are watching them or there wouldn't be so many.  So many people buy the latest products, never use them and then end up purging them at a later date so they can make room for more of the latest products!

Why is that we get so tickled when we know scrapbook supplies are coming in the mail?  It's almost like waiting for Christmas morning as a child.  Is it because it takes us back to those carefree, simple days when we did play with glitter and glue as children?

How has processing videos affected the scrapbooking industry and how we scrapbook?  Is this the go to place to see current trends and products?  Has it had an effect on courses/classes that you pay for versus being able to watch free content? 

Just a few thoughts that have been rolling around in my head.

• Noell, mariangeles, MiaScraps and 3 others like this

#2 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:30 PM

Thought-provoking topic with LOTS of great questions! Thank you!

While I was reading the questions about why we keeping buying more and more new stuff when we already have plenty I remembered a couple weeks ago I was at an Asian market with a friend and in a store I saw a wall section full of children's style puffy stickers. Lots of them, and they were definitely for children, not the type I would put in my scrapbooks. BUT I found myself squealing and looking at every sticker on every package. I told my friend, "Oh my gosh, I would have died if I had seen these when I was a girl and I would have wanted every single one." She asked me if I would have used them, or kept them in their packages. I told I would have kept them in the package. I had a book in which I put my stickers and they never came off their backing (remember Mrs. Grossman?).

How does this relate? I think many of us just love pretty things, or cute things, and we want to have them just to have them.

Also, somebody said recently on PRT, I think, that the new stuff represents potential or possibilities for us (in our minds). We believe if we have the new trendy things then we're going to have all this new wonderful potential.

Anyway, I just thought I'd get my thoughts down now so I don't forget when we do the episode. :)

• mariangeles, Teresa S, Melissa and 2 others like this

#3 Scrapfaire

Scrapfaire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationAnnandale, VA

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:43 PM

I find that I really like belonging to a kit club so that I can get a "reasonable" amount of new stuff on a regular basis. It helps that I don't have a nearby LSS, I have some older product that I am trying so hard to use up, and some newer like last year's Get Happy from Gossamer Blue I just want to hoard (I was so proud of myself for using a piece of that paper today). I feel like the fact that new product comes out so often is why we always want the newest. SOME of us (including myself) have to watch all the CHA videos and then start planning projects and layouts based on what is about to come out. I think it also drives us to scrap those "newer prettier" photos. This makes me want to try even harder to start using up my older product. I def think that's it, and those haul videos, they make us want what we see other people get. OR we have the mentality... "my layouts would look so much better if I just had that new________"

just my 2 cents ;)

• Teresa S, anandi and Julie Paradise like this

#4 SuseFish

SuseFish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 04:14 AM

• mariangeles, Melissa and Julie Paradise like this

#5 mariangeles

mariangeles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationValencia, Spain, Europe

Posted 10 July 2015 - 07:01 AM

Great topic!!!

Fortunately, I stopped buying a lot some time ago :) but I still buy some stuff here and there hehehe

I recently purged some stuff and gave it to a scrappy friend of mine; I also have a small box of vintage stuff to send out to another friend who I know will create wonderful projects with it.

As I make 4 big projects I'd like to acomplish before the baby comes around, I'm planning on purging some more stuff I know I won't use and give it away too :)

I'm determined to create more and buy less.

I would enjoy a discussion on scrapbookers fascination with having to buy the latest and greatest products.  Why is that?  There are so many Scrapbook Haul videos on YouTube and obviously people are watching them or there wouldn't be so many.  So many people buy the latest products, never use them and then end up purging them at a later date so they can make room for more of the latest products!

Why is that we get so tickled when we know scrapbook supplies are coming in the mail?  It's almost like waiting for Christmas morning as a child.  Is it because it takes us back to those carefree, simple days when we did play with glitter and glue as children?

How has processing videos affected the scrapbooking industry and how we scrapbook?  Is this the go to place to see current trends and products?  Has it had an effect on courses/classes that you pay for versus being able to watch free content? 

Just a few thoughts that have been rolling around in my head.

I don't watch scb haul videos, I don't find them interesting at all, thanks Heaven!

I'm one of the excited people when I know a package of goodies is coming hehehe

As for videos, classes, etc, The ones I watch really don't affect on what I shop for :) I love Paperclipping, Shimelle Laine and May Flaum :D

Thought-provoking topic with LOTS of great questions! Thank you!

While I was reading the questions about why we keeping buying more and more new stuff when we already have plenty I remembered a couple weeks ago I was at an Asian market with a friend and in a store I saw a wall section full of children's style puffy stickers. Lots of them, and they were definitely for children, not the type I would put in my scrapbooks. BUT I found myself squealing and looking at every sticker on every package. I told my friend, "Oh my gosh, I would have died if I had seen these when I was a girl and I would have wanted every single one." She asked me if I would have used them, or kept them in their packages. I told I would have kept them in the package. I had a book in which I put my stickers and they never came off their backing (remember Mrs. Grossman?).

How does this relate? I think many of us just love pretty things, or cute things, and we want to have them just to have them.

Also, somebody said recently on PRT, I think, that the new stuff represents potential or possibilities for us (in our minds). We believe if we have the new trendy things then we're going to have all this new wonderful potential.

Anyway, I just thought I'd get my thoughts down now so I don't forget when we do the episode.  :)

I still have some old Mrs. Grossman stickers! As well as some other older ones...

I try to think a lot about the stuff I buy nowadays. I try to buy tools I know I'll use, not the expensive ones, classes I know I'll enjoy over and over, etc

With good tool and techniques I can make my stuff shine whenever I bought it :D

• Noell and Julie Paradise like this

#6 Scrapnsee

Scrapnsee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 04:00 PM

I think a lot of it is to do w/style. Like clothes. I have probably 40 shirts in my closet, but I look at shirts when I go shopping anyway, because many of the ones I have I don't like, don't wear, etc.  But, silly as it seems, I don't always get rid of them unless I have one I like better to replace them. So, if I get a new white button down, and I have one that's a bit small, or a tiny soil on it, or just a style I don't like as well anymore, I will usually take out the old one to give away when I get the new one I like better.

Is it sensible? Probably not. Is it good for the environment? No (though I always give away vs. throw away if the items are generally in good shape).  But there you go.  I think since the time of cave people, we have looked at what others do and take (some more, some less) cues from that and incorporate into our own style. Whether that was bone/teeth necklaces back then or the coolest chipboard embellishments today.

• Melissa and Julie Paradise like this

#7 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:56 PM

I read a really good article once about how it's easier to buy new running shoes than to actually get out there and run regularly, and I think there's a parallel here.  By buying stuff, we can feel like we're being creative, we're scrapbooking, we're "planning" for future projects - it's an easier way to get that satisfaction or "rush" of actually creating a project.  I also found when my kids were smaller, I could take them and shop for supplies much more easily than I could create with them around. So it was a way to keep feeling like I was "in touch" with my hobby since I wasn't finding the time to sit down and create stuff.

Now that I have pared down my clothes to a capsule wardrobe, I am thinking more seriously about ALL my purchases. I don't buy wood veneer or enamel dots anymore because I have SO many. I have enough paper to last a lifetime. For me, the shopping part is easy and fun.  Sitting down to create is harder work (but much more rewarding in the end!)

• mariangeles, janygb143, Melissa and 3 others like this

#8 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 12 July 2015 - 11:30 PM

The day will come when my income will no longer support my scrapbooking wish list therefore I hesitate to purge much and I allow myself to have occasional binges. There really is way too much fun going on in this industry! And in life in general!
  • Melissa and Maplestock like this

#9 mariangeles

mariangeles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationValencia, Spain, Europe

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:07 AM

[...] I have enough paper to last a lifetime. For me, the shopping part is easy and fun.  Sitting down to create is harder work (but much more rewarding in the end!)

I totally agree with you!

I have tons & pretty supplies, but I'm having a hard time to get myself to sit down and create...

#10 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:29 PM

When I first started scrapbooking, I would take my little pile of photos that I was going to scrapbook and go to my LSS to find paper and products to use with those photos. While there, I might see something that I thought was beautiful, but if it wasn't going to work with the two or three sets of photos in my hand, I passed it by, figuring I'd buy it when I had photos in my hand to go with that product.

I soon realized that when I went back to get that beautiful product which I had seen earlier, it was invariably gone. I had missed my chance. So, I learned that if I liked it, I should buy it now, and just save it for later when it was relevant. 

Clearly this little lesson has now gotten way out of hand, but I do think that's where it started. Buy it now, or it will be gone.

• Melissa, MiaScraps and anandi like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users