Photo

Why you started scrapbooking and why you do it now...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jschow

jschow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:39 AM

I think this would be an interesting show topic. A lot of people (I think) got into this hobby to cut pretty paper and make a pretty photo album. That's what attracted me when I was the tender age of 12, but that's not what keeps me going now. As I've matured, so have my reasons for scrapbooking. Now, while I still love the process of layering together beautiful papers and embellishments, my main purpose is to tell my story. I remember hearing Stacy Julian say that she got into this hobby for memory keeping and then later started thinking about the design process and making it pretty. I think it would be very interesting to see how that evolution came about  for different people.

• Noell, janygb143, Melissa and 3 others like this

#2 BethQuiroz

BethQuiroz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:53 PM

This would be awesome! I got into scrapbooking as a way to preserve my photos and then it snowballed from there. Once you hit the embellishment aisle at Hobby Lobby or Michales, you're hooked!

• Melissa likes this

My blog: bethsblatherings.blogspot.com

Instagram:  http://instagram.com/divinemsq

Guest on PRT Episode #205: Cheesy At Heart

VENI VIDI VELCRO - I came, I saw, I stuck around

#3 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:52 AM

I really like this idea as a topic. I was interested in stamping first, so that's how I got into scrapbooking as a hobby. Stampin' Up! was my first introduction into actually doing some scrapbooking, even though I'd seen all the pretties in stores that sold both scrapbooking supplies and stamping supplies earlier on. I resisted the siren song of scrapbooking as long as I could, but I finally dove in, and I've been hooked ever since.

When I look back, though, I realize that the core of scrapbooking, what some of us are now calling "memory keeping," was there in my life all along. I had a Memory Book in my senior year of high school that is, essentially, a scrapbook, and I've always loved that collection of bits and pieces, the details of that one year of my life. Like many other scrapbookers, I've always kept little things, memorabilia of all kinds of events of my life, as well as some of the daily stuff. I've also always enjoyed photography, even as a child, fascinated with how a single photo can capture the moment it was taken, but also all kinds of details of that period of time in my life.

And then there's writing. I've kept a journal since I was 14, and I've always felt inspired to tell my story. While sometimes I admit, my journal writing is my own private platform to vent my emotions, I do include a lot about what's going on in my life, and I have referred to my own journals again and again to refresh my memory of events that I'm scrapbooking. I've noticed that a lot of scrapbookers are writers, too, or interested in writing, so I think that memory keeping tends to be a natural progression of writing for some of us.

It would be interesting to explore, too, how much our own memory-keeping is inspired by people in our families or how we were raised. Both my parents were interested in photography at different times in their lives, and I know that influenced my own interest in capturing life in photos. My father was interested in writing, and my mother was a letter-writer. She also kept all kinds of stuff memorabilia and wrote down things she wanted to remember. It's very easy to see how their desire to preserve memories and tell their stories passed on to me.

• anandi and Maplestock like this

#4 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, CANADA

Posted 11 July 2015 - 11:32 AM

Very well put, Melissa.  I've never really given it much thought but I guess I was always a memory keeper too in that I have boxes of memorabilia from years past, including my girl guide pins and badges (as if anyone cares but me that I mastered knots, lol).  Also, my mother kept sentimental things, we found out, when after she passed away we found old cards and letters my sisters and I had written to her...even an old school art project I had made that would certainly not win any awards! My dad was in the newspaper business and documented everything and I got his list making and documenting genes for sure.

My introduction into "scrapbooking" was a Creative Memories party (like a lot of us) and the rest is evident in the stash I've accumulated and the books I've done.  Still loving it.

It is interesting to hear how people got started but more important why they continue.

• Melissa likes this

#5 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 11 July 2015 - 11:13 PM

I started because it was another fun craft!!

I kept going when my mother told me how it cheered her and the family up to see my pages (online)

Today? It the only way our photos see the light of day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • janygb143, Melissa, MiaScraps and 1 other like this

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#6 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 13 July 2015 - 12:02 AM

I think there is another thread similar to this one. I started scrapbooking before I knew about scrapbooking. I put together a couple of photo albums with black paper (no page protectors) as a memory book for someone else. Someone that was trying to find their way in life. I included some doilies and stuff I found in office supply stores, etc. These books were a huge success. I totally understand how memory keeping/art journaling is often used in therapeutic situations.

Through that process I watched the beginnings of the industry unfold. And I became a willing participant! We got our first computer in 1987. When aol and sympatico and local networks introduced me to the www I was hooked.....down the rabbit hole I dived!
  • janygb143 and Julie Paradise like this

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:21 PM

I think it is interesting that so many people came into the hobby for different reasons, although for the most part we've all grown to appreciate all aspects of memory keeping. I think (it's been 15 years, so it's hard to remember) I started scrapbooking for the creative outlet and as a way to display my photos. Once I learned more about the hobby and saw the connection to my journals which I kept from 3rd grade through college and my collections of memorabilia I'd kept throughout my life, that's when I was really hooked. Suddenly I didn't know how I'd lived without scrapbooking.

• Melissa and MiaScraps like this

#8 Ohhh_Snap

Ohhh_Snap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:49 PM

I started because I was a single mother over 20 years ago and most of the memory keeping at that time was based in baby books. But I didn't want my child growing up with pages blank or missing and I found scrapbooking supplies at Hallmark. Very little was completed at that time (I over estimated my ability to work full time, be a new mother and find time scrap lol). But I have most of the pieces and now I'm working on putting it all together. Better late than never : D.

• janygb143 and Julie Paradise like this

#9 Krystal K

Krystal K

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationAnchorage AK

Posted 11 August 2015 - 10:39 PM

I tried scrapping my wedding photos and all I had back then was colored paper. I found it boring. Then, my adopted son was feeling like life was unfair because his younger brother wasn't adopted. (He was 4 at the time.) I did some research and discovered the concept of Lifebooks. After that, I went to a Leaving Prints party (anyone remember that direct sales company?) and got hooked!
  • scrappinpage likes this

#10 scrappinpage

scrappinpage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationNorthern Wisconsin (BRRR...)

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:10 PM

I was a Leaving Prints demo! Not many people remember them!
Wendy aka: scrappinpage

#11 Krystal K

Krystal K

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationAnchorage AK

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:24 PM

Scrappinpage I loved their page kits! Great for beginners or when you wanted to make something quick.
  • scrappinpage likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users