#1 Siri F

Siri F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationÃ…lesund, Norway

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:11 PM

I've been thinking about next years planner. I've got an Erin Condren Life Planner for 2015, I like the weekly setup, but I have to use notebooks in addition to it because there is not enough blank pages in it. I also don't like that most of the "blank" pages are covered with patterns.

I'm hoping to get gift cards to the Van der Speck shop for my birthday in November, but buying a custom planner is a huge investment, so I need to be sure about what type to get.

What I need in a planner:
A lot of blank/lined pages for lists, product ideas and check lists for design work
Month on two pages, week starting on Monday
Week on two pages, week starting on Monday
Year on four pages, with small space for notes

I don't really need to have the whole year "with" me all the time, and I don't need to have all the old/finished lists with me.

I just "discovered" the TN, and love the fact that there are no rings involved. I am unsure about the calender aspect of it. Does anyone use a TN with a calendar for planning? Has anyone tried both? Pros/cons appreciated!
I don't mind fuzzy cutting, but don't get me started on watching glue dry!

#2 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:08 AM

Love the TN. How hard would it be to make one?

#3 Julie Paradise

Julie Paradise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:15 PM

Love the TN. How hard would it be to make one?

Pretty easy!!!

You could use any elastic string, but: There is a "Repair Kit" (original Midori, mine was ca. 12€ which equals ~ 12-15$), you could probably buy it on Amazon, whereever you are. This contains the strings and the little awkward metal clip.

Now all you need is something you can use as a cover: leather, fabric covered cardstock, ... A Crop-a-Dile or something to punch holes is handy.

The Midori has 4 holes on the spine, circa 1/2 inch and 1 inch from the top/bottom. All you need to do is fiddle the string through these holes so that the outside shows 2 small sections of the string, almost what it would like if it was stapled, on the inside you get two larger sections. Your refills are held with the largest string section, of course.

The original Midori has the string that is used to keep the whole thing closed in the middle. Now that you can choose where to put it I would suggest to move the hole for this one closer to the outside edge to have the disturbing bump a bit out of the way.

What works well is to cover the inside of your fauxdori with pretty paper. 

Et voilà.

To answer the initial question: Filofaxes have these huge rings, I have always hated to write in these. The MTN gives you the chance to make your own little refills according to your needs and you do not end up with loose sheets of papers but with pretty little cahiers. 

Also the MTN ages beautifully, it is well worth the investment. Search PatrickNG on instagram, he has pics showing his MTN which is nine years old. Mine is 4 years old and stands the beating in my purse everyday. There is nothing to it that could be kaputt ;-)

#4 Julie Paradise

Julie Paradise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:00 AM

Ooops, forgot the links ;-)

Inside: https://instagram.com/p/19An1ww5PE/

Use it as a wallet, sort of: https://instagram.com/p/19CdPHw5C4/

Outside: https://instagram.com/p/19BWvTw5Aq/

The item shown is not completey selfmade: It is a notebook cover (size equal to the MTN passport size) from X17 with a Leuchttum Pen Loop. I added the strings from a Midori TN  size repair kit, punched the holes with a crop-a-dile and covered the inside with pretty paper, using Ranker's Glossy Accents. To hold my money, ID and credit cards, I have filled it with a MTN passport size Zipper Case and sometimes I add a little handmade cahier to it. Works perfectly!

#5 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:53 PM

Cool! Thanks Julie

#6 joblackford

joblackford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationPacific NW

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:13 AM

Someone on another forum mentioned some customizable planners that are available in Europe and worldwide (there's a drop down to specify what country you want - the link will go to the US site I think). http://www.personal-....com/US/planner  I'm looking at designing one for next year.

I'm not sure if it has everything you want, but I think most of those options were available. And they are much cheaper than the ECLP. I love some of the custom options for layouts and extra pages. I'm really annoyed by planners that combine the weekend days into one space - my weekends are just as busy as my weekdays! So I liked the ECLP because it gives as much space to Sunday as any other day. But the "blank" pages aren't the best. I wish EC let you customize more than just the cover (which I don't care about at all, since I keep mine open to the week all the time). 

Some people dis-assemble their ECLP and put it into a filofax or binder, or bind it with those ARC rings. If you did that you could leave behind the bits you don't need and add extra pages wherever you need them. The rings are annoying though. I guess some people take their pages out of the rings to write on them and then slip them back in when they're done. 

The Midori TN and fauxdoris are nice. I think there are a lot of options for notebooks to buy and plenty of printables to customize your own notebook. The sizes of the real Midori are a little odd for me - too small or too narrow. I need more space and don't need to carry it around every day anyway. I like the idea of having several notebooks bound together in one bundle though. And there are a million fauxdori options on etsy - different colors and sizes. 

I don't have any feedback about using a TN for calendar planning, but I think there's a huge community of users online. Sorry, I can't think of anybody specific to link to though. 

#7 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 12:09 PM

I'm loving the idea of something smallish to toss in my bag for work. I almost always insist on taking my break unless there is a unavoidable crisis going on. So my idea is to use this much coveted time to jot down my thoughts on the previous day, things I want to tell myself, ideas or projects for future crafting time, the odd shopping list or to-do stuff. Hopefully I can marry the notebook with the podcasts and remember things that were important at the time. I won't be using it as a scheduler unless I'm giving myself a stern talk about getting busy to make Christmas cards etc. it will be a journal for the time I'm at work and can fit it into my day. Work breaks truly are my time that I often don't get distracted from. At home, I keep getting pulled away from my time by something or someone.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Planner

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users