Photo

What's Your Favorite Digital Photo Book Service?

Photo book shutterfly digital photo book

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 scraps-n-needles

scraps-n-needles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:53 PM

So I'm doing Project Life digitally for the first time using the app with the help of Photoshop and I want to print the pages as a book instead of printing each page individually.  For me personally, I think that the digital book would take up less space.  My original plan was to use Shutterfly to make the book, but then I started to wonder if there were better options out there.  I was hoping that Persnickety was doing 12x12 or 8x8 books, but they aren't.  Any advice?

#2 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:15 PM

I've used Costco to make a 12x12 book, and it was one of the most reasonable I've seen! The printing is great, too. One thing I would keep in mind is page limit- Shutterflys is only like 100pg or something, and if you're doing weekly PL, that's more than their limit.

i would love to hear about other companies and options, too!

Oh, and does anyone print 8.5x11 books? I used to use Viovio, but I think they went out of business.

#3 bestcee

bestcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:29 PM

Viovio changed names i thought? Presto photo maybe? My friend uses blurb.
Adorama pix does square books. I used to think they were too expensive, but they almost always have a coupon available, and if you have multiple pages, it's not as expensive. Chelles creations did a comparison on her blog, and adorama was cheaper than shutter fly. And I've seen then in person- they are awesome.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
  • janygb143 likes this

#4 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:55 PM

Adorama was cheaper than Shutterfly?!?!!? I will be looking that up!

Or do you mean for lay flat pages?

I use Snapfish since its the cheapest available here. A free 20pg book from Shutterfly costs me as much in postage as one from snapfish :)

I have also had good results from MyPicTales.

But I'm not a fan of the covers from Adorama and the lay flat pages just don't look as 'real' to me somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#5 bestcee

bestcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 23 June 2015 - 12:23 AM

Adorama was cheaper than Shutterfly?!?!!? I will be looking that up!

Or do you mean for lay flat pages?

I use Snapfish since its the cheapest available here. A free 20pg book from Shutterfly costs me as much in postage as one from snapfish :)

I have also had good results from MyPicTales.

But I'm not a fan of the covers from Adorama and the lay flat pages just don't look as 'real' to me somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. It was for layflat pages. Picaboo was also more expensive than Adorama.

I'm not too picky about layflat or non layflat. I do like not having to worry about the gutter with the layflat. But overall, I just adjust as necessary.

#6 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:30 PM

I consult for MyPicTales, so I would recommend them. I haven't compared prices lately, but they do have really good quality. I printed the same book at Adorama and MPT last year to compare. I really like the metallic shimmer to the Adorama covers, but the MPT pages were brighter and sharper. I much preferred them. The Adorama books are very thick too. My books usually run around 60 pages and they were super thick (2-3 inches) on the shelf. The MPT books will be around 1/2 inch - 3/4 inch for the same number of pages.

I've always had good results with Shutterfly too. Blurb and Persnickety fell short of my expectations. Persnickety does awesome prints if you like photopaper loose pages, but they farmed out their books to a 3rd party and I just wasn't happy with them. They were much too dark for me.

You can get LayFlat books from MPT, but they do outsource those. I usually stick with the regular bound books. They are cheaper too. :) (Also, they are updating their website and software in the future for easier ordering and better user experience.)

• janygb143 and mshanhun like this

Wendyzine Scraps

Studio Wendy @ Scrapbookgraphics  •  Photoshop & Elements Instructor

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#7 mosbaskets

mosbaskets

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 02:16 PM

I really like Mixbook. They have great books and are fairly priced, and have regular coupons. You can have up to 399 pages. I've never had any issues with the gutter, but I do leave 3/8 inch to account for bleed (they recommend 1/4, but I like a little extra wiggle room, especially with text. I've done a dozen or so books in the last couple of years. The square books are 8.5 x 8.5 (I prefer this size to 8 x 8) or 12 x 12; landscape is 8 x 6, 11.5 x 8, or 14 x 11; and portrait is 8.5 x 11. The square books have the option for lay flat pages. 

• janygb143 likes this

#8 Robin Sparkles

Robin Sparkles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationManito, IL

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:40 AM

What do you choose for your cover? I'm also trying to figure out who I'm going to use to print my project life book. It seems like most services I've looked at only offer a cover that also has a photo on it. I guess I could choose a random favorite from the year.

#9 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:11 AM

I usually use just a scenic or favorite shot that usually appears inside the book somewhere. For a PL book, it might be cool to make a Photoshop collage of one pic from every month, and use that as your cover photo! It might take some fiddling to get the correct size for the template, though :)

#10 scraps-n-needles

scraps-n-needles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:15 AM

First off, I want to thank everyone for all of their suggestions, it has been a great help and I'm going to look into them all.

Secondly, about the cover. I originally thought I was going to make a simple digital layout for the cover or make something with the Project Life App, but I love Janygb143's suggestion.  I probably will put a black and white scenic photo on the cover and if you have photoshop, lay a digital vellum paper on top of that and then put the year on top.  (Create a new layer on top of the photo, fill with white and set your opacity to around 60% or whatever you like.)

• janygb143 likes this

#11 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:32 AM

You can also get leather-wrapped covers, sometimes called "Standard." There are usually a few colors to choose from. I love doing my book covers. They are my favorite parts of the books! I've posted a few in my gallery, but it looks like I should post the more recent ones. :)

http://www.scrapbook...-wendyzine.html

• mshanhun likes this

Wendyzine Scraps

Studio Wendy @ Scrapbookgraphics  •  Photoshop & Elements Instructor

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users