#1 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:19 AM

I am featured in a tiny paragraph in an excellent new book called "I Know How She Does It: How Successful Women Make the Most of their Time" by Laura Vanderkam.  It's (obviously) not a book about scrapbooking but she spends a whole section talking about hobbies and calls out scrapbooking a few times :)  She's not the usual kind of guest you'd have on PRT as she's not in "the industry" but she's a great speaker and has some fantastic new ideas about managing time and priorities. 

To that end, I'd like to suggest having her on with some other working outside the home (or working at home, but another job) scrappers to talk about how to make time for this passion.  She's really great at "time makeovers" or helping people repurpose previously wasted time (for example, using your commute to catch up on PRT or other "learning" topics, etc.)

You had an episode last year with Ashley ? (Soaphouse Mama) and Noell and someone else talking about making time to scrap with little kids around, and I loved it.  I'd really like to hear strategies from the angle of people who also need to work outside the home full time *and* do family stuff *and* still want to scrap. it's so hard to find that time sometimes!

On a side note, Laura Vanderkam also has a fiction book out called The Cortlandt Boys in which scrapbooking features prominently.  I think she secretly wants to scrap :)

Noell - if you are interested, I can pass along Laura's contact info.

• janygb143, Melissa, Alissa@lifeonlakeland and 1 other like this

#2 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:35 AM

That is an excellent idea for a PRT episode. I don't work outside the home, but I am a full-time caregiver, and I am having a REALLY hard time finding time to scrapbook.

• janygb143, anandi and Maplestock like this

#3 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, CANADA

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:41 AM

I'm all for any tips that will give me more time to scrapbook. I work full time and commute an hour each way so it is hard to find time outside of that to scrapbook. That is why my 2-4 weekend crops a year are so important to me. My daughter and I are also trying to schedule one day a month to scrap together at home. Only one got cancelled so far this year due to something unforeseen. If I could add a little time here and there to that I would love it. Away crops are fun, but the convenience of doing it at home is great.
And who couldn't use some time management tips/refreshers!
I must add that the PRT podcasts have made my commute SO much better!!
  • janygb143, Melissa, mshanhun and 1 other like this

#4 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:52 PM

As I did the dishes for the 15th time today and wondered how working (outside the home) moms manage to do it all, I was going to come suggest something similar! I'd really love a show about it! I have snippets of time to read stupid magazines or check stuff on my phone, but the minute I pull out something "serious" to work on, the minions break loose and it's game over!
  • Melissa, MiaScraps, anandi and 2 others like this

#5 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 06:24 AM

As I did the dishes for the 15th time today and wondered how working (outside the home) moms manage to do it all, I was going to come suggest something similar! I'd really love a show about it! I have snippets of time to read stupid magazines or check stuff on my phone, but the minute I pull out something "serious" to work on, the minions break loose and it's game over!

"The minions break loose." That's funny.  :D

• janygb143 likes this

#6 j.leija

j.leija

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 June 2015 - 07:35 AM

Great topic! I think Jennifer Wilson would be another great panelist for this. Her class at BPC is called Time Management for Scrapbookers :)

Anandi, I totally just bought the kindle version of that book. Thanks for sharing!

• janygb143, mshanhun and anandi like this

#7 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 12:07 PM

I do enjoy Jennifer Wilson on PRT, but I was hoping for scrappers who have another job totally unrelated to scrapping.  Because she can likely scrap mid-day during "work hours" and it actually counts as work for her :)  I'd like to see someone like Katie Scott or Karen Grunberg or whoever was on a recent PRT saying they are a tax accountant (?).  There's a woman on the SC design team who's a doctor from Australia (Natalie someone?)

#8 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 12:35 PM

Was it Melissa Stinson? Or Monica McNeill!!!
  • anandi likes this

#9 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 06:49 PM

Might have been Monica McNeill - it was the recent episode (251?) where they answered forum questions.

#10 bestcee

bestcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 13 June 2015 - 08:12 PM

Isn't Monica a social worker? Or am I mixing her up with someone else?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

#11 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 10:07 AM

I think Jess Forster is the social worker?

#12 Alissa@lifeonlakeland

Alissa@lifeonlakeland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:23 AM

Jess Forester is a social worker.

Monica McNeil also works full time.

I LOVE Laura Vanderkam - I've been following her stuff for years and she is one of the reasons I still making scrapbooking time a priority. I think Ananadi's idea is excellent.

She's known for doing time diary studies so maybe as you have in your "organizing episodes" with Aby Garvey you could have an audience member participate who is willing to track their time for a week and then Laura could give both general and specific advice.

I also think Jennifer Wilson would be a good guest as she has been talking recently in the Simple Scrapper membership about how to find the energy after work to scrapbook and experiementing with doing a layout in two evenings.

And side note to Anandi - I have Cordlandt Boys on my e-reader but haven't read it yet, now that I know there's some scrapbooking in it I will bump it up the list!

Alissa

• MiaScraps and anandi like this

#13 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:10 PM

I love how all these names are cropping up....need to go check out some!

I spent a year with Jennifer Wilson's membership and while I was already on my way to learning how to cut in time and clear clutter from my life, the membership gave me the extra boost to really make it a lifestyle. I find I'm more of a binge-er. I do stuff in lots. Works for me. Love listening to other peoples ways of doing. Great reinforcers to staying on track.
  • Maplestock likes this

#14 j.leija

j.leija

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:20 AM

I do enjoy Jennifer Wilson on PRT, but I was hoping for scrappers who have another job totally unrelated to scrapping.  Because she can likely scrap mid-day during "work hours" and it actually counts as work for her :)

I totally get that! I think it'd be interesting to hear from Mama's who work outside of the home. I don't have kids, so I can pretty much scrapbook whenever I want. But I still think this topic would be applicable to me with my "busy" life. Everyone can get better about fitting in time to scrapbook!

Noell, potential panelists that quickly come to mind are:

Karen Grunberg

Monica McNeil (VP-Tax)

Tracy Banks (Psychologist)

• anandi likes this

#15 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 09:22 AM

It definitely doesn't have to be about moms who work!  Anyone who has to work outside the home (or at home but not scrapping!) would be great :) 

• janygb143, mshanhun and bestcee like this

#16 kraftkris

kraftkris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:04 PM

Jessica Turner (author of the Fringe Hours) would be a good guest for this topic too!

• janygb143 and anandi like this

#17 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:29 AM

Hey, ladies -- I've scheduled this topic for next week but only one of the above recommended guests is available, and we're on a temporary break from having new guests right now because of associated costs (we've been without a sponsor all year to help pay for the new-guest costs). I can't think of which of our regular guests are also working moms, other than the ones you've mentioned. Can any of you?

• janygb143 likes this

#18 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:46 PM

Maybe Angie Lucas? Since she's "left the industry" now! lol
  • mshanhun likes this

#19 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:58 PM

Depending on when you are recording, I could do it. I'm a teacher and back to work next week, but no students until Friday. Meetings Monday and Tuesday until 2pm CDT. Wednesday and Thursday pretty open. Friday available after 1:30 CDT. Not sure if you want me, but let me know, I'd love to do it! (I also manage to get some stuff done during my very busy school year, so I think I could contribute to the conversation). I still have the headset from the last time I was on, so I'd be good to go. No problem if I'm not a good fit, or it can't work time-wise. Just thought I'd let you know!

• janygb143 likes this

#20 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 15 August 2015 - 05:58 PM

Celeste Smith works and scraps up a storm. Not sure you've had her on but she was the first that came to mind for me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users