6 replies to this topic

#1 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:23 AM

I'm relistening to PRT213 (Scrapbooking Men). What about an episode about actually scrapbooking men (which is what I originally thought this episode was about, rather than Men Who Scrapbook ;))? I don't honor the men in my life nearly enough. I would love to hear from Izzy, of course (and maybe some "everyday" guys who arent in the industry? The Average Joe whose significant other is the scrapbooker). I think it would be great to hear some perspective about what kind of pages they like to see, formats they enjoy (mini-books? 12x12 or 8.5x11?), and what they do/don't care about reading/seeing. Or, just general inspiration would be great, too. Father's Day is coming up! ;)
  • Alissa@lifeonlakeland and Julie Paradise like this

#2 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 07 June 2015 - 02:57 PM

My guy likes it when I honour the special events in his life. Like the time he caught his first steelhead on the fly. Monumental moment for him. He'd like to see that weekend documented and framed on the wall somewhere. (It's coming!) He slants more toward the bigger moments or really special relationships (like his dogs, kids) however he enjoys the everyday stuff as long as I'm using up supplies that I buy. I think for him he'd like to see me display more of my layouts on the walls. I kinda agree with him. I'm working on it. The plan is to frame layouts and then rotate them up every 3 months or so. He would be more likely to look at them and then he would share them with visitors coming into the house. This would give him an opportunity to expand on the story and engage with visitors beyond small talk.
  • janygb143, anandi, Julie Paradise and 1 other like this

#3 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:27 AM

I would love to see this topic. I never scrap about my husband and it sort of feels weird to do so, like he's one of my kids or something and I'm scrapping "for" him.  I mean, if he thinks it's important, he can scrap or journal or whatever himself - he's just not that kind of guy.  (He would never take photos, if I didn't constantly ask him to while he's taking our daughters out somewhere!)

I'm contemplating the idea of a Story Album about our relationship because I think our girls would like that.  That's about as far as I can get re: scrapping about him.  Would love some other ideas, etc. that make him more of a starring character than the guy in the background who's always getting us extra napkins or finding the booster seats, etc ;)

• janygb143 and Alissa@lifeonlakeland like this

#4 bestcee

bestcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:13 AM

I scrap about my husband. I didn't have kids at first, so maybe that's why I never had that same feeling about treating him like a kid? I can certainly understand it though. If it's something big or important I'll ask him to write the Journaling. He is not always willing to write, so sometimes he'll dictate and I'll write. Or sometimes he'll email it and I'll add it that way. He doesn't have as many pages because it's not on his radar. But there's also a lot that are both of us, and when telling the story from my perspective you see that he is funny, or sweet.
The easiest way for me to do this is ask him about photos or about his day when the kid isn't around. All his phone photos upload to Dropbox, so it's easy for me to ask him about something I saw. And I find by asking him about his day when the kid is away gives him time to answer and me time to listen.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
  • janygb143, anandi and Julie Paradise like this

#5 Alissa@lifeonlakeland

Alissa@lifeonlakeland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:13 AM

Jennifer Wilson's (of Simple Scrapper) husband did this great video about what men value:

He'd be a great guest!

I have made pages about my husband and his activities but it just occured to me this week that two of his major hobbies from when we were dating are not captured in our scrapbooks and I really need to cover those two topics so that my daughters can know about the hobbies.

I do less pages about him but I still think it is important to include his story and him in our albums.

• janygb143, mshanhun, MiaScraps and 2 others like this

#6 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 16 June 2015 - 02:43 PM

@bestcee - thanks for the ideas!  I just realized this goes with something mentioned after or on (?) the Journaling Episode of PRT a few weeks ago - someone suggested repurposing emails or letters to use on layouts. I asked my husband to write a letter to our then-not-yet-born daughter for her baby book and I realize that could also work as journaling on a layout because it's so great.  And it was (fairly) easy for him to type it out as an email and send to me to print or whatnot.  Hmmm, now the wheels are turning :)

• janygb143, MiaScraps and bestcee like this

#7 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:55 PM

Edited from Anandi's post: I'm contemplating the idea of a Story Album about our relationship because I think our girls would like that. That's about as far as I can get re: scrapping about him. Would love some other ideas, etc. that make him more of a starring character than the guy in the background who's always getting us extra napkins or finding the booster seats, etc ;)[/quote]

Anandi....here's my two cents......your girls would love an album about their mom and dad!!!

There are probably a ton of things about the two of you that your daughters might not know or remember.....what sports did you play in school, where did your family go on vacations when you were young, your favourite foods, music, movies, books, subjects in school. Have you taken Noell's romantic course? More good ideas!

The older I get the more I would like to know about my parents. I keep trying to jot down notes whenever they say something about their youthful past.
  • janygb143 and anandi like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users