10 replies to this topic

#1 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:02 AM

My husband's grandpa is turning 85 this summer, and I'm making a photo montage/video for the surprise party! I need some music ideas. What songs would have been popular when he was a young man (1950's?)? Any good songs about life in general (preferably something upbeat, not something you would use for a memorial service!)? They go to dances at their retirement community, so maybe anything popular that might be currently played there?  

They danced to "Could I Have This Dance For The Rest of My LIfe" at their wedding so his wife requested that, but other than that, I have NO leads! Thanks in advance :)  

#2 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, CANADA

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:37 AM

So, popular music I can think of around the early fifties were The Andrews sisters (boogie woodie bugle boy would be good esp if he was in the service), Nat King Cole (those lazy,hazy crazy days of summer), Rosemary Clooney (Sway), Perry Como, Doris Day (que sera, sera)
Any particular genre? There's always jazz greats like Dave Brubeck and Benny Goodman. And rock n roll, Everly Brothers, Bill Haley.
Ah, the good of' days...
  • janygb143 and Melissa like this

#3 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:07 AM

Oh, thank you!! I'll have to check those out. I think he likes old-time Country, but all of my google searches turned up classic country songs that were too sad/mopey for the project!

#4 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:19 AM

It was fun for me to see what I could come up with. I should have included Elvis probably but perhaps that would be more suitable for his wife's birthday..
  • janygb143 likes this

#5 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:53 AM

Yeah, it's so tricky to match the lyrics to the occasion! Any other instrumental that would be popular throughout his life? Hm, I should probably go thru billboard charts! Ps the song titles are super helpful!! I had an idea of artists, but titles help me narrow my search. That's a lot of decades to scour...

#6 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 12:54 PM

Yes billboard 1950s would probably bring up lots. Hank Williams Hey Good Lookin' I fun and upbeat.
Instrumentals would be In the Mood by Benny Goodman (it's from more the 30s/40s but instantly recognizable) and Take Five and Unsquare Dance by Dave Brubeck are from the fifties. (My dad was a huge fan of jazz so I heard a lot of it growing up). Pete Fountain was a great jazz clarinet player from New Orleans. My fav of his would be sentimental journey..
  • janygb143 likes this

#7 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:26 PM

These are great!! Interestingly, when I Youtubed Hank Williams, a video about Distress Stain came up, lol. Thanks so much, keep them coming please :)

#8 bestcee

bestcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:13 PM

We did something similar for my Grandmother's 90th birthday. We played top songs from her birth through her 30th birthday in the back ground at her party. Here's the lists I used:

1930's: http://digitaldreamd...ongs-1930s.html (maybe the top song the year he was born?)

1940's: http://digitaldreamd...ongs-1940s.html

1950's: http://digitaldreamd...bg_hits_50.html

BIllboard Top 1950's: http://digitaldreamd..._billbord1.html

• janygb143 likes this

#9 bestcee

bestcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:14 PM

One of my votes is 1955: Rock Around the Clock :) by Bill Haley & his Comets

• janygb143 likes this

#10 BethQuiroz

BethQuiroz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:28 PM

Think to when he would have been a teenager. For him, that would be in the 1940's. So anything "big band." Glen Miller, for example.

• janygb143 likes this

My blog: bethsblatherings.blogspot.com

Instagram:  http://instagram.com/divinemsq

Guest on PRT Episode #205: Cheesy At Heart

VENI VIDI VELCRO - I came, I saw, I stuck around

#11 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:27 AM

The first song that popped into my head when I read your post was "I Got The World on a String" by Frank Sinatra. Really cool project, by the way! I hope it turns out well.

• janygb143 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users