• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:27 AM

We're finally doing a topic this week that has been requested here and there over the years: attending crops. Remember those?

Number one: I have a guest on who is from our audience. I still need at least one more guest (two is ideal) who is:

1) Active in the online community (especially if she/he has a following/is well known)

AND

2) Attends crops, or at least has attended one in the last year or two. I have no idea who else to ask and we're hitting a deadline.

Do you know who of someone who fits this? ^^^

Number two: Do you have thoughts or questions about crops? Do you miss crops? Love crops? Host crops? If you want us to address something specific, please let me know. Thanks!

• Scrapnsee and Julie Paradise like this

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 30 May 2015 - 11:22 AM

I attend crops and have for the last 12 years or so. Day crops, evening crops, stores, people's homes, church basements, weekend crops at hotels or bed and breakfasts, you name it! Unfortunately, I don't have an online presence except here and a bit at Get it Scrapped, so I guess I don't qualify :( None of my friends that I go to crops with have any online presence at all (so even less than me), so I'm unable to refer you to anyone. I'll keep thinking and see if I can come up with someone because this sounds like a fun topic!

#3 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 11:41 AM

Laura -  We usually need at least one person who has an online presence, but I still have room for someone who doesn't. Will you message me your email address and we'll see if you are free at the recording time we have scheduled?

#4 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, CANADA

Posted 30 May 2015 - 11:44 AM

I am excited for this topic because almost all of my scrapbooking is done outside my home at day or weekend crops.
As a result, I am always struggling with the amount of supplies I take with me. It usually looks like I am moving in because I want to have everything I own there in case I need it! Luckily, my friends and the hosts accept it and help me unload and load up. Also, they know that I'm more than happy to share if they need something. My best friend, and scrap buddy, is the opposite and usually brings one tote and works from that. I don't know how she does it! Between us is probably the ideal answer.
I think community crop events are important and keep the spirit alive and I always come away with new ideas and inspiration from them.
I could probably make a list of questions on this topic...

#5 Alissa@lifeonlakeland

Alissa@lifeonlakeland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 03:54 PM

I used to attend crops at our local LSS back in the scrapbooking heyday of the early 2000s however I felt like i never fit in because at the time I was unmarried and had no children. But I loved the convenience of being able to grab the perfect piece of cardstock for my page. Last year I started attending crops again at the new LSS but felt like I didn't fit in again because most of those croppers (while more friendly and welcoming) didn't follow the online trends. I introduced people to project life and my Oh Deer Me Kit sub from freckled fawn. I have not attended one in a while due to my schedule and also I wanted to use more of my own stash but was always tempted to buy when I was at the LSS.

To me the biggest benefit was using the tools at the LSS - sampling before I bought or learning how to use it and I also liked getting real time feedback on my layouts. It was nice to be around a group of people who just get why you're spending time doing this.

#6 bestcee

bestcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 30 May 2015 - 03:55 PM

Crops are awesome! Even for us digital gals! I know a lot of the people I meet at crops aren't online a lot, so maybe that's why you are struggling? (I went to the scrap expo in slc, and that was some of the paper chatter ).
Something to encourage is being open to a craft crop if you can't find scrappers. We had a group that brought sewing, paper scrapbooking, pinterest type projects they were making, anything. It meant more people came. My current crop group is a digital one, and I love the opportunity to get together and chat with others every other month.

I love crops for the same reason I'm sure my ancestors loved quilting bees. I haven't hosted crops in awhile, but if people are looking for suggestions, we started by calling a few hotels with conference rooms and asking what the cost was for an after hours meeting. Prices vary, but we had one that let us meet for free as long as we cleaned the room- vacuumed the floor, and wiped down the tables. Another one charged us $50 which was only $5- $10 depending on how many showed up.

#7 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 04:28 PM

The ladies that host the two weekend crops a year that we attend (they also do a few one day crops) do a wonderful job of it and have some great ideas to make it fun...
There is always a theme to the weekend and on Saturday after dinner they have a photo shoot in an area of the main room decorated to the theme and usually with some props. People get group photos of their table mates as well as anyone else they'd like. It's a fun short break. The main organizer happens to manage a conference centre in town that has accommodations so meals and lodging are included in the price. She has been a scrapbooker for years so she started these weekends and they're very popular.
On Friday night they also have a "garage sale" where you can buy/sell items. Each scrap room has a "free table" as well and at the end of the weekend whatever is left on the table goes to the local school for arts and crafts or after school programs.
Lastly, one of the guests happens to be a CTMH rep so she usually sets up a table if anyone's interested.
The best part is sharing ideas and products and meeting new people who share your interest.
I love these crops and hope they continue doing them for a long time.

#8 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:56 PM

Something to encourage is being open to a craft crop if you can't find scrappers. We had a group that brought sewing, paper scrapbooking, pinterest type projects they were making, anything.

Sorry, don't mean to hog the thread but bestcee reminded me that we've also started a casual girls weekend where friends and family stop by and bring whatever craft they're working on. Some stay a few hours, some overnight. It's potluck. My girlfriend has a time share and she usually has points she has to use, so we book a condo close by. It's worked out really well. I like to spend that time organizing my photos and binge cutting with my cricut. That way I can stop and start easily if someone arrives and I want to just visit with them.
  • StampingRooster, Melissa and Julie Paradise like this

#9 beccaf1970

beccaf1970

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:20 AM

Looking forward to this discussion! Crops are what got me hooked on scrapbooking...some friends brought me to one back in 2006, when all my supplies could fit into one small Rubbermaid container and a 12x12 paper holder! I remember seeing all the people with tons of stuff, and I thought they were vendors selling scrapbooking supplies, not actual scrappers! It never occurred to me that people had enough stuff to fill up wheeled tote bags (and now, I'm one of those people!).

Since then I've been to crops at hotels, scrapbook expos, and once even flew to Kentucky to a cabin retreat with online friends. I am lucky enough to live near an LSS, and I go to their crops regularly. Sometimes they have no-frills all day Saturday crops, other times they do three day retreats. Over the years I've befriended the other "regulars" and I love just getting together with other women with the same interest, but who differ in age and life circumstance (single, married, divorced, kids, no kids, grandkids, pets, etc.).

Some topics for discussion:

-How to pack for a crop. I know this has been discussed before, but I think it's one that people still struggle with. Even when I try to pack light, I still bring more that I need.
-How to start your own crop. I love Bestcee's and Maplestock's idea of a craft crop. I do something similar with my local Newcomers Club. Once a month we get together for a crafts night. Sometimes we work on a specific project (jewelry making, card making, knitting, etc), other months, we have an open crafts night where people can work on whatever they feel like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • janygb143 and Julie Paradise like this

#10 StampingRooster

StampingRooster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:20 AM

I still attend crops on occasion. In fact, I was just at one last month. I've made some great friends at crops and we get together once every few months.

The more interesting topics for me are:

1) how to pack (it's hard for me to pick and chose from my supplies to get ready to go to a crop); and

2) going to a crop by yourself. 

When I started scrapping, I didn't know any other scrappers. I searched for communities online and in real life through meet up and store crops. Even though scrappers are friendly people, getting out there can be intimidating because it sometimes feels like you're walking into an established community with established friendships and there you are on the sidelines. For me, it was matter of finding a group that met regularly and I just kept going. The more you show up, the more people recognize you, and over time you make friends.

• beccaf1970, Julie Paradise and Maplestock like this

Gretchen

Now blogging and posting process videos

#11 bestcee

bestcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:55 AM

The best thing i did for packing for crops was to make page kits, or take the pages that just needed journaling. That way i could pack light, and not be overwhelmed at all the stuff I had to carry.
The last few paper crops I did I took my Disney pages. The same theme helped narrow down other choices - papers, embellishments, and even photos.
Depending on the length of the crop, I've also just taken photos and organized them. I tend to do a lot more chatting than scrapping and organizing photos allowed me the time to do that.
  • Maplestock likes this

#12 beccaf1970

beccaf1970

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:25 AM

I still attend crops on occasion. In fact, I was just at one last month. I've made some great friends at crops and we get together once every few months.

The more interesting topics for me are:

1) how to pack (it's hard for me to pick and chose from my supplies to get ready to go to a crop); and

2) going to a crop by yourself. 

When I started scrapping, I didn't know any other scrappers. I searched for communities online and in real life through meet up and store crops. Even though scrappers are friendly people, getting out there can be intimidating because it sometimes feels like you're walking into an established community with established friendships and there you are on the sidelines. For me, it was matter of finding a group that met regularly and I just kept going. The more you show up, the more people recognize you, and over time you make friends.

Gretchen, I agree that #2 would be a good point to discuss. I had the same experience when I moved to CT and started going to crops at the LSS in my area. I would sign up by myself, and get assigned a seat with some random folks. Tough for me, because I think of myself as a shy extrovert! I like the energy of being around others, but I'm somewhat quiet at first. But at a crop, there is always that opening line of "What are you working on?" Always a good ice breaker! And you're right, the more you show up, the more familiar people will become. 

• StampingRooster likes this

#13 StampingRooster

StampingRooster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:01 AM

Gretchen, I agree that #2 would be a good point to discuss. I had the same experience when I moved to CT and started going to crops at the LSS in my area. I would sign up by myself, and get assigned a seat with some random folks. Tough for me, because I think of myself as a shy extrovert! I like the energy of being around others, but I'm somewhat quiet at first. But at a crop, there is always that opening line of "What are you working on?" Always a good ice breaker! And you're right, the more you show up, the more familiar people will become. 

Becca, is the Papercrafting Clubhouse still doing the 12-12 crops? I haven't been up there in years, but I loved that place.  We do need to have a CT meetup!

Gretchen

#14 beccaf1970

beccaf1970

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:24 PM

Becca, is the Papercrafting Clubhouse still doing the 12-12 crops? I haven't been up there in years, but I loved that place.  We do need to have a CT meetup!

Gretchen, Yes, they still do regular Saturday crops once or twice a month from 10 am-midnight. I try to go once a month, but sometimes my schedule doesn't allow it. Looks like the next one is June 20th, but I have a family barbecue that day. Here's their June calendar. Let me know if you ever make the trek up here! 

• StampingRooster likes this

#15 StampingRooster

StampingRooster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:35 PM

We'll have to see if they do a crop in July or August :)

• beccaf1970 likes this

Gretchen

#16 JulieFrog

JulieFrog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:39 PM

I love going to monthly crops! I used to be another one of those who took the kitchen sink with me, but when I started buying regular kits, it was easy to take those instead to work with. I no longer buy kits, but now just take a selection of photos, papers and embellishments which fit in to a tote and a basket (which also holds my adhesive/tools).

One benefit of going to a crop is that, if you forget something, or just didn't drop it in your bag, someone will have something you can use, or help with different suggestions.

The crops started out as being mainly scrapbookers and, although there are still a few of us scrapbooking monthly, we now have card makers, mixed media artists, sewers, knitters, and other various crafters, which can be very inspiring.

Someone mentioned about going on your own to crops. When I first moved to Ireland (I'm from the UK), I didn't know anyone except work colleagues and my (now) husband - I just got chatting to someone at a local craft store who invited me to a one-off crop which was happening the following weekend. Everyone was very friendly and welcoming and, from there I got to know about a regular monthly crop and, 8 years later, we're still meeting and I have some lovely friends! :D

I know Shimelle has posted on her blog in the past about packing for crops, so if you're still stuck, she might be a good guest... :)

• beccaf1970 and Julie Paradise like this

#17 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:44 PM

The best thing i did for packing for crops was to make page kits, or take the pages that just needed journaling. That way i could pack light, and not be overwhelmed at all the stuff I had to carry.
The last few paper crops I did I took my Disney pages. The same theme helped narrow down other choices - papers, embellishments, and even photos.
Depending on the length of the crop, I've also just taken photos and organized them. I tend to do a lot more chatting than scrapping and organizing photos allowed me the time to do that.

Ive always struggled with trying to make page kits because I choose paper and embellishments as I am creating the page.  I agree with you about just taking photos to organize when its a one day crop but when I am going for the whole weekend I want to have as much as possible with me so I have access to it all. I figure the few minutes that it takes to unload/load the car is minimal to the length of time I'll be there. And the organizers are wonderful with helping load/unload.

The other thing I would like to see discussed is etiquette at a crop event.  It is a social gathering and I love sharing ideas and looking at everyone's layouts but I always try to stay with positive comments and only when requested.  Also, I keep my earbuds in my ipod if I want to listen to music/podcasts and if I need to take a call I step outside so as not to disturb others.  I know that sounds like common sense but some people don't get it...

• beccaf1970 likes this

#18 Scrapfaire

Scrapfaire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationAnnandale, VA

Posted 02 June 2015 - 06:35 AM

I miss crops so much! When I lived in TN I had the best group of ladies that I cropped with, even after our two LSSs closed! I now live in Northern Virginia and I haven't found a new group yet, so I'm here, scrapping at my dining room table ;).

#19 IAmMikki

IAmMikki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:49 AM

I am active in many online communities, Facebook groups, Studio Calico forums, here... and i have an LSS here in Las Vegas, and that LSS even hosts crops at least once per month, however I have never been to one of those crops. Why? I have a desire to go initially, but then I break it down to logistics. 1. I would have to find a babysitter or have my parents watch my daughter, which isn't always easy and has the potential to cost money (on top of the $25 registration fee). 2. packing up my stuff, even though I subscribe to kits, it feels like a chore to pack up my things for a crop.

A few times I've done online crops (like for NSD where places post challenges) and I've done GoogleHangout/Skype crops as well. Personally, I LOVE the skype crops, I don't have to leave my house, find a babysitter, or pay a registration fee and it's convenient, I don't have to carve out 4 hours on a Friday night, we can crop for an hour and it's great. I feel like there is a real desire for crops like that and it's ideal for people who don't have friends or a LSS nearby.
  • janygb143, anandi and beccaf1970 like this

#20 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 06 June 2015 - 01:16 PM

A woman I know in Seattle hosted a yearly crop to raise money for the Komen Foundation and I attended that with our mutual friend. If not for her, it would have felt really weird as the other ladies all seemed to know each other and were not friendly at all!  They were all into Creative Memories (and selling it) so their styles were very different from what you see now online.

For about 2 years I've hosted an every other month "Craft and Cocktails" night for my local friends where they bring *something* to work on and hang out. I have one papercrafty friend, and a bunch of others who bring crafty stuff, projects for their kids' classrooms, etc.  Just having friends to chat with while working on something is pretty nice so I'll keep doing that.

I probably wouldn't seek out a crop, specifically, just because I'm an introvert and scrapping is my alone/me time :)

• janygb143 and Melissa like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users