• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 kraftkris

kraftkris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:00 AM

Lain Ehmann posted a question on her FB page - Which scrapbook trend would you like to say good bye to - and  A few people answered Project Life, and a couple of people even said they hate it!

I don't think there is anything that I have ever seen in scrapbooking that I can say I hated - I guess I don't use that word very often.  Now I understand that PL is not for everyone - but for some reason the "hate" seemed a little harsh - maybe because I love it so much!?!  

• Izzy, mshanhun and Julie Paradise like this

#2 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:51 AM

LOL, yeah, it is pretty harsh to say you hate something as tame as an album with pictures and cute cards tucked into pockets! :D

I could be wrong but I think I know why a lack of interest in a scrapbook medium could be morphed into "hate." I think it's because it's taken over many people's blogs and scrapbooking. The same places people used to go for traditional page inspiration are now full of Project Life. If you want to see a traditional page, you have to weed through lots of PL pages. And if your favorite scrapbookers has switched over completely, or even almost completely, you're going to really miss the traditional page.

I don't feel that way, personally, but I can only imagine someone who isn't into PL must feel some disappointment for that reason. Interesting how that can shift into assertions of hate, though! :blink:

• Izzy, JennLynn, janygb143 and 8 others like this

#3 kraftkris

kraftkris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:59 AM

LOL, yeah, it is pretty harsh to say you hate something as tame as an album with pictures and cute cards tucked into pockets! :D

I could be wrong but I think I know why a lack of interest in a scrapbook medium could be morphed into "hate." I think it's because it's taken over many people's blogs and scrapbooking. The same places people used to go for traditional page inspiration are now full of Project Life. If you want to see a traditional page, you have to weed through lots of PL pages. And if your favorite scrapbookers has switched over completely, or even almost completely, you're going to really miss the traditional page.

I don't feel that way, personally, but I can only imagine someone who isn't into PL must feel some disappointment for that reason. Interesting how that can shift into assertions of hate, though! :blink:

Yep, makes sense when you put it that way Noell!  

#4 scrappinpage

scrappinpage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationNorthern Wisconsin (BRRR...)

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:03 AM

It does seem harsh! There is so much content/product out there that there is something for everyone! Just buy/look at the stuff you like and leave the rest be!

I think it's just the way our culture is today. Everyone seems to have to state their opinion about everything! "Haters" are everywhere! If you don't like someone, don't agree with someone, or just not interested...walk away!
(Of course, I say this in the most Nonjudgmental, non-Hater way! 😉)
  • Izzy and kraftkris like this
Wendy aka: scrappinpage

#5 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:50 AM

I think some people see the word "hate" as less inflammatory than others do, too.

I have to admit, though I love PL, I do find traditional layouts more difficult to put together and more inspiring to look at when I'm browsing for ideas. So I can see why people might be over-saturated seeing pocket page layouts.

I stopped posting mine to my blog because I just got tired of sharing them. I love them because they're our personal documentation, but I'm not terribly interested in looking at other peoples' PL pages as I've been doing my own for 3.5 years now! So I can definitely see how people are "over it", though I'm not sure it counts as a trend because it's been around for so long.

• geordie281, Alissa@lifeonlakeland and Julie Paradise like this

#6 needtime2scrap

needtime2scrap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNorthern Alberta

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:30 PM

I'm a PL fan for sure...but also a traditional scrapbooker. I think that there is room for it all but to be honest I get tired of the sales pitch of PL. The pitch of "get caught up!" "Scrapbook faster and more efficiently" "I used to waste so much time getting the perfect placement of things" "I can't believe that I used to hand letter my titles and now I'm *so* much better than that because I use the PL system/app"  What if I like scrapbooking? What if I don't care if I'm ever caught up? What if I *gasp* do this because its good for my soul and love the creative aspect of it not because I'm obligated to record every single detail of my food/trip/shoes/life. That's what I get tired of.  :blink:

• Laura, JennLynn, allerliebsteanika and 9 others like this

#7 bestcee

bestcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 28 May 2015 - 04:27 PM

I think noelle said it perfectly with the taking over part! I used to follow a lot of food bloggers. So right now I hate the paleo movement. I lost a lot of good bloggers who became obsessed and stopped posting the stuff I used to go there for instead posting all paleo all the time. It's one thing to have an interest in another style, but it's annoying when it takes over and becomes obsessive! I think that's generated a lot of hate for the Pl movement.
  • Noell, geordie281, mshanhun and 1 other like this

#8 Scrappy-Lea

Scrappy-Lea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 11:36 PM

I think this could be a similar to response to the fear some people felt when digi first came on the scene?
At the end of the day of people have more options for their memory keeping they are more likely to continue. Hooray! :-)
  • MaryM likes this

#9 joblackford

joblackford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationPacific NW

Posted 20 June 2015 - 12:57 PM

I think it's a lot of what others have said - PL pages taking over from layouts on blogs and in galleries, plus a lot of it all starts to look the same if people are posting every week, and I think some people are just sick of hearing about it if they've decided not to do it. I would also say that some people misunderstand what PL is or can be and they reject the idea of scrapping their everyday "boring" lives or they think it's all about a picture-a-day project and they dislike that idea (without necessarily realizing it doesn't have to be that at all). 

But I think some of it is the relentless marketing of the BH company. I'm really kind of sick of BH at this point... and I hate saying that! But I am. When it was only a couple of core kits each year it was one thing - I was obsessed with the idea behind it. But now there are dozens, and an app, and partnerships, and exclusives at certain stores, and it all seems a bit too much. And I personally got to a point where I didn't need to hear her speak ever again - I knew no matter what the discussion was about, she would be talking about this system in a very specific "marketing" kind of way and I don't need to hear that any more. (I mean, I get it! because it's her business, and people who love it, love it. But... sigh. It got to be tiresome, for me, who DOES love PL.)

And then everyone else is producing pocket page stuff too. So if you weren't a fan to start with, I could definitely see it getting the point where you just never want to hear the words Project Life again.  (That's not me, but I get it). 

• janygb143, geordie281, anandi and 3 others like this

#10 needtime2scrap

needtime2scrap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 08:19 AM

You are so right @joblackford ! I'm about ready to unfollow her on Instagram because of all the selling and perfection in her life.
  • janygb143, Melissa and kraftkris like this

#11 kraftkris

kraftkris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:50 AM

I am with you there too @joblackford and @needtime2scrap.  I love the PL system, but the constant Social Media "badgering" is overkill!  

• janygb143, needtime2scrap and kraftkris like this

#12 needtime2scrap

needtime2scrap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:45 AM

badgering is the best description!!  :P

• janygb143, kraftkris and bestcee like this

#13 IAmMikki

IAmMikki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:09 AM

Hate is definitely a strong word; there are things I just don't understand why anyone would like them, there are things that aren't for me, but I would never go as far as to say I hate anything scrapbook related. The only way I could see that word used would be from those who have tried it because it was popular and then just felt too much pressure, if scrapbooking/PL felt like a chore, I could understand that someone might hate it. I have heard people say similar about vacation albums or wedding albums, where that was the only thing they did for months, after awhile, the fun and creativity is just taken out of the process.

Personally, I love Project Life, I have been doing Project Life since 2010 and it's been incredible, and surely I didn't love it 100% of the time, but even if it seems like a looming task that I need to get caught up on for a moment, all I need to do is open that album and I'm in love again.
  • kraftkris and bestcee like this

#14 kraftkris

kraftkris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:11 AM

Personally, I love Project Life, I have been doing Project Life since 2010 and it's been incredible, and surely I didn't love it 100% of the time, but even if it seems like a looming task that I need to get caught up on for a moment, all I need to do is open that album and I'm in love again.

I totally agree...I love going through my PL albums.  It is a great to reminisce and it also gives me a good sense of accomplishment!

• anandi, needtime2scrap and bestcee like this

#15 geordie281

geordie281

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationAdelaide South Australia

Posted 24 June 2015 - 03:04 PM

This is my fourth year of PL and I can't imagine not doing it. It has also inspired me to do more traditional layouts, however, I'm completely over all of the blogs and lessons everywhere on pocket page scrapbooking. I look on sites with classes as and they are full of 'pocket page classes', and I just think, nope, don't need to see any more of that thank you very much. I also agree that the number of core kits etc out there is ridiculous - how could you ever use so much product?

• needtime2scrap likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users