13 replies to this topic

#1 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:32 AM

I would love to hear an episode on adding interest to my journaling! Especially for longer narratives, I feel like I do a brain dump, and when I read it again later (days or years), I'm drowning in boring sentences. If I zone out reading my own stories, how can I expect someone else to focus? I'd really love to hear some insight from Angie Lucas! Thanks so much for all these great episodes, love PRT :)
-Janelle
  • JulieFrog, Melissa, MiaScraps and 3 others like this

#2 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, CANADA

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:18 PM

I try to make sure I journal because I feel it is important to tell the story in my own words but I find I can ramble on sometimes, so I have a reminder attached to my workspace that says - 5W's of journalism: Who What When Where Why - once I've covered those that should be all that's needed.  Also I tend to scrapbook one event/trip at a time so I will journal the story at some point but not on every layout unless the picture needs explanation and then I try to keep it to that.  My scrap buddy is the opposite and hardly journals at all so I feel that somewhere between us is the perfect answer. People looking through your books will get more from short and sweet paragraphs than long stories for sure, but its not always easy.

• janygb143 and Melissa like this

#3 BethQuiroz

BethQuiroz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:26 PM

Ali Edwards and/or Cathy Zielske would be excellent panelists for this as well! Both are very story-centered scrapbookers who can be quite elaborate with their journaling.

• janygb143, anandi and bestcee like this

My blog: bethsblatherings.blogspot.com

Instagram:  http://instagram.com/divinemsq

Guest on PRT Episode #205: Cheesy At Heart

VENI VIDI VELCRO - I came, I saw, I stuck around

#4 JulieFrog

JulieFrog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 21 May 2015 - 07:41 AM

When I first started scrapbooking, I remember reading something in a magazine that said that when you're thinking about journaling, you should think of writing it in the same way that you would write a shopping list for your husband! If I was writing a list for myself, it might be:

Coffee

toilet rolls

jam

but for my husband it would be (for example):

Decaff coffee, <brand name>, 200g jar, but if they don't have it, get the 100g jar (or <alternative brand>)

<brand name> toilet rolls, 9-pack, they usually have these on the bottom shelf

Strawberry jam - try to get the <brand name> one, if not, <alternative brand> will do

So the 'list for my husband' is much more descriptive than just the who, when, why, what - the same items are on the list, there is just a lot more context to them... :)

• StampingRooster, janygb143, Melissa and 6 others like this

#5 StampingRooster

StampingRooster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 21 May 2015 - 10:09 AM

Julie, that cracks me up -- and is exactly what I do for my husband.

• JulieFrog likes this

Gretchen

Now blogging and posting process videos

#6 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 10:44 AM

Oh, hm, let me refine my request a bit more... Tips for editing journaling to be more interesting. Like, the basics of the story are there (I.e. This was your first birthday, and we had it at our house. We had 30 guests and they brought so many presents!), but it's like a rote recitation of the facts. I think I want more pizzazz/oomph, lol. I just ordered a book I read many years ago- called Spunk and Bite, by Arthur Plotnik... I'll let you know if there are tidbits in there!

Beth- Ali and Cathy would be awesome!
  • Noell and Melissa like this

#7 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:17 PM

I have an old Creating Keepsakes book about journaling that I adore - so many great ideas in there and tons of layouts even though they're "older" looking wrt product, etc.  I bought it for super cheap on Amazon and it was well worth it.

• janygb143, Melissa and Alissa@lifeonlakeland like this

#8 bestcee

bestcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 22 May 2015 - 03:23 PM

I have an old Creating Keepsakes book about journaling that I adore - so many great ideas in there and tons of layouts even though they're "older" looking wrt product, etc. I bought it for super cheap on Amazon and it was well worth it.

Which one? I know I have one that I keep meaning to read, but haven't gotten there yet. By tracy something?

#9 RatMom7

RatMom7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCincinnati Ohio

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:56 AM

I think Angie Lucas would be great.
I love my fur-babies!

Www.Pinterest.com/ratsrme

#10 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 06:06 PM

Working on this right now. We record tomorrow. :) (And yes, I got Angie).

• Izzy, janygb143, Melissa and 2 others like this

#11 alynnkenyon

alynnkenyon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:10 AM

:)

#12 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, CANADA

Posted 05 June 2015 - 03:14 PM

If you listened to this week's podcast and you want to see Noell's layout, she has posted it on the paperclipping site - it is ADORABLE and a great example of journaling in my opinion. Check it out...

• Noell, janygb143 and anandi like this

#13 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:09 PM

If you listened to this week's podcast and you want to see Noell's layout, she has posted it on the paperclipping site - it is ADORABLE and a great example of journaling in my opinion. Check it out...

Thank you! :D

#14 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:37 PM

Which one? I know I have one that I keep meaning to read, but haven't gotten there yet. By tracy something?

Hey!  Sorry for the delayed reply.  It's kind of a compilation book from Creating Keepsakes and it's called "Journaling Solutions for Scrapbookers" from 2011.  It is PACKED full of useful stuff as well as lots of layouts. Some of the styles are a bit outdated, but they're still great for ideas on how to journal/what to write about or sparking ideas on layouts to make. Aside from Cathy Z's books, it's right up there with my favorites!  And a used copy was very cheap on Amazon.

• janygb143 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users