#1 Caroline

Caroline

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationCleveland-ish

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:03 AM

I hope I can make this make sense.  I was flipping through older scrapbooks the other day and my style has changed a lot over the years.  Up until 5 or 6 years ago I had a very clean style.  Mostly cardstock, Silhouette cuts, lots of journalling, and very photocentric.    Then more and more patterned paper started creeping in, a couple of ink splatters here and there, but still: clean.  But in the last 2 or 3 years I feel like I'm less about the pictures and journalling and photos and more about playing with my crafty toys and trying new techniques and trends I see on YouTube.  This isn't bad, but sometimes I step back from a finished layout and have a harder time telling what's "me" and what's my version of some trend in the industry.

So, I'm wondering if others ever wrestle with staying true to their style while evolving, and how people can step back and take stock of what their doing and try to objectively decide what's "me" and what is too much of the outside world having maybe too much influence on my pages.  (too much influence in that the final page doesn't feel like me or flow with the other pages in the album, etc.)

Or...maybe I'm nuts and the only person who sometimes finishes a layout and doesn't always feel like what I've done is genuine.  :unsure:  :wacko:

• Sandi, janygb143, anandi and 1 other like this

Oversharing and putting my money where my mouth is at my blog: PouringOverPictures

#2 needtime2scrap

needtime2scrap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNorthern Alberta

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:37 AM

I personally think my personal style has evolved. My goal of any layouts or albums that I've done has always remained the same...photos+stories (or blurbs in my case) I feel like even though I might try new techniques or ways to put together a layout whether or not I mat photos, ink the edges, or stick to a single photo/page if I'm still telling something about the photos that's *my* scrapbooking. Inevitably styles and trends change and we do change with them. I think that this is all part and parcel of the scrapbooking industry...we want new and exciting, something different to catch our attention and inspire us. If everyone scrapbooked the same way year after year after year it would get dull and I believe people would get bored with the hobby. (I might get flamed for that one!) 

• janygb143, Melissa and MiaScraps like this

#3 BethQuiroz

BethQuiroz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:24 PM

I think trying new techniques and styles helps us to evolve. If you stick with those techniques even though they don't work for you, then you're a trend-follower. If the techniques "fit," then your style is evolving.  

• Noell, janygb143, Melissa and 1 other like this

My blog: bethsblatherings.blogspot.com

Instagram:  http://instagram.com/divinemsq

Guest on PRT Episode #205: Cheesy At Heart

VENI VIDI VELCRO - I came, I saw, I stuck around

#4 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:18 AM

Great idea for a topic! I haven't looked back at my older pages in awhile, but I know that when I first started scrapbooking, I did a lot of scrap lifting. I didn't really have a style of my own yet, so I emulated the designers I liked and created pages that looked a lot like layouts that appealed to me in magazines. Each page I made contained at least one element that was me, though, and the more I created, the more I began to develop my own style.

Trends can be very inspiring, and it can be difficult not to follow some trends because what we use in our scrapbooking is at least in part determined by what the industry produces and makes available to us as supplies. Also, trends can be quite specific or more general. For example, die cutting is a huge trend right now, but just about anybody can find a way to incorporate that trend into their own style of scrapbooking, if they so choose. Same with mixed media, depending on how much an individual scrapbooker wants to work with those types of techniques. They can be adapted to any style, really.

Trying out different styles as I've developed my own has been fun, and I still look for new ways to express my creativity. Trends definitely help with that.

• MiaScraps likes this

#5 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:24 AM

I have no one style. I am having fun playing. Putting photos on paper. Telling stories. Testing techniques and trendy ideas. Some...there needs to be a connection that draws me in. Not all techniques and ideas fit for everyone. If it doesn't fell genuine I don't repeat. If a finished page doesn't sit well I will re-create. How will we know if we don't experiment? I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to that time where I've evolved into "my scrapbooking". Does anyone get the urge to design their own papers and embellishments? Just for personal use.
  • Melissa likes this

#6 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:56 AM

Does anyone get the urge to design their own papers and embellishments? Just for personal use.

Definitely! I have made some of my own embellishments, just by using punches and such, but I've often wanted to go a little further. I just don't feel confident in my own ability to draw/design. Maybe I should give it a shot sometime.

#7 Krystal K

Krystal K

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationAnchorage AK

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:32 PM

If a trend isn't too expensive or way to far outside my style, I will try it. They don't all stick. My favorite newer trend is enamel dots. One that I am having trouble sticking with is using stencils.
  • bestcee likes this

#8 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, CANADA

Posted 18 June 2015 - 07:20 AM

It would be interesting to do a brief survey on our most common "style" item. What item or style shows up the most in your albums? Do you almost always use patterned paper? Maybe it's matting photos? Using Thickers or store bought lettering? We probably tend to do one or two things over and over, perhaps without realizing it. And if we checked our stash, I bet we would find more of "that" than other stuff. I guess that would show us our style.
For me, I tend to mat at least one or two photos in every layout. And lettering is my weakness whenever I shop.
  • Melissa likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users