Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Did you buy the new Deep Dive course? Chat about it here.

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#41 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 05:08 PM

bethany_jean, on 29 May 2015 - 1:14 PM, said:snapback.png

I really want to start working with story-centered albums and upgrading some layouts that I've already made, but I'm really struggling with the concept of visual continuity. I wanted to work on a layout today - one that hopefully will go into an upgraded album once I get it together - but I hesitated because I didn't want to choose papers or colors that might not look good with other layouts that I've already done. I'm not really a plan-ahead type of person, and I generally just choose papers and embellishments that look good or sound good in the moment or go well with the pictures. I'm worried that once I start trying to compile layouts into a story album, none of them will "match" or have any visual continuity. I know there are no scrapbooking police and no one's really going to care except me, but I'm just wondering if anyone else struggles with this. Shimelle or Noell, do either of you have story-centered albums where there isn't much visual continuity? Should I even worry about this?

I was hoping they would discuss this when they got to the end and were discussing issues you might encounter with story albums that you wouldn't with others.  I have this issue as well - I want to do a school years album for my daughter and have a couple pages I did when she was in Kindergarten but haven't done any since and don't necessarily want to use the same color pallette for the rest.  

Actually as I'm typing this, they did discuss this a little - when Shimelle said occasionally she'll do an upgraded album and have a couple of pages that she did at another time - so she has added in some embellishments or color from the album to tie it in.  I think what you're saying is how do you do this type of album more on the fly without planning papers and colors ahead of time.  Could you plan on a particular stamp or embellishment that you would use on all the pages - you could do different colors but have the same details on each page?  Or maybe do a frame of white or kraft on each page?  Noell mentioned that her album about herself as a kid has lots of different colors - not as much of a planned ahead color palette.  

Yes, we definitely discussed this but it might not have stood out to you as much because there was probably more emphasis on setting up for continuity (it takes more time to explain how you can get continuity, than for the fact that it's okay not to have it, lol). First, I do have many albums that have ZERO design continuity. All my first story albums were that way, and some of the albums I work on now are still that way -- because even though I have coordinated kits for most of them now, there are some albumsthat I feel enough freedom with that sometimes I still just want to go in a different color direction. It's OKAY!  :)

Here are some thoughts that I can remember from the course, plus a new one or two that we might not have shared. I you have further questions about these points, please feel free to ask:

1) For me, some stories are just open for all kinds of moods, colors, emotions, etc, which means I scrapbook whatever colors work best for that story, and do not worry about having design continuity for that album.

2) Bringing a whole bunch of layouts together that were made before I started the album -- If I really want them to coordinate I would do my best to create a color palette that includes a color or two from each layout.

3) Bringing in just one or two layouts from before I started the album -- Do you remembered the story I shared about my album for my parents' farm? In that album, all the pages have some green and some leafy imagery. Other than that, the pages vary quite a bit (I try to make most albums pretty flexible so I can go with the flow). So when I wanted to add a page I made in the past that had none of these farm album constraints, I added green leafy accents to the already existing page. It ended up looking better.

4) Shimelle didn't share this, I don't think, but I have seen her add smaller pages between two mis-matched layouts (like a 6x12 page), and on that smaller page in the middle, she brought together some of the original page colors and the new album colors. Because you could see the mis-matched pages and the smaller-sized pages at the same time, it made it all feel coordinated.

5) Some of my albums have a favored color scheme + icon that I use a lot, but not on every page. Because those colors appear frequently, I feel that is enough to give some albums an amount of continuity that I am happy with.

6) Having coordinated kits ready for most of the story albums make it really easy to not have to worry about whether my page is going to coordinate. I HIGHLY recommend it. It's one of the best things I ever did for my little scrapbooky self. :D

I feel like Shimelle may have shared something else about this, but I'm not sure. We really tried to emphasize that both of us usually just jump in feet first because we don't like to plan too much ahead of time. We often start pulling things together somewhere later in the process.

Hopefully these thoughts will ease your mind and allow you to just go ahead and scrapbook!

• Melissa likes this

#42 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 05:14 PM

allerliebsteanika - What a gorgeous page!  (I have no idea why this post is bolded, except that it has to do with the fact that I copy + pasted your name).
  • allerliebsteanika likes this

#43 AnnieB49

AnnieB49

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 30 May 2015 - 11:28 AM

The Webinar: I tried everything...no sound! :(  I've attended webinars several times before and not had problems. Hoping it will be available again..??

#44 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 11:39 AM

The Webinar: I tried everything...no sound! :(  I've attended webinars several times before and not had problems. Hoping it will be available again..??

What a bummer! I've seen it happen in other webinars where there always seems to be somebody who can't get the sound or the visual. I don't know why that happens but I do know the only thing you can do is contact the customer service of the site that owns the webinar service.

But YES -- we are sending the recording of the video to those who bought the Deep Dive course during the promotion period. I'm sorry you couldn't hear it live.

#45 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, CANADA

Posted 30 May 2015 - 11:52 AM

That was my first live webinar (outside of work ones) and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Thank you Noell and Shimelle and izzy. I hope there will be more deep dive courses and I think the follow up with a q&a webinar is brilliant.
A huge heartfelt thanks from this faithful member!
  • Izzy likes this

#46 Gina

Gina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 03:39 PM

This is partly why we shared our resources for our classes + my membership, where people can go to see specific story albums coming together, and partly why Deep Dive courses have a lower price point. But to be specific about this course and why I didn't want to try to teach a specific structure -- Everybody's stories are different, and each story needs to be treated differently. All of my story albums have totally different needs and I work with each one in an individual way according to those needs (I tried to communicate that in the course as I talked them, so hopefully that came across). So if someone needs more structure, their next step would be to join one or more of our various other classes where you can see specific examples. But even then, a more structure-oriented person should see that their own story will be different, and they need to take the general concepts and fit them to their story/album.  I think it would be misleading to try to sell a more specific structure in the course because, sure it would give someone a sense of checking everything off, but then they lose the whole point of the course, which is to look at your life and the big threads that make up your story, to dig deep into what that story says about YOU (and not me), and to draw that out, bit by bit, with each page as you feel inspired.

I'm glad you liked the course, yourself, though. Thank you for the feedback!

Noell - I really wasn't trying to criticize.  One of the reasons I bought the course is because I love both yours and Shimelle's work - you're both so creative and inspiring!  I really really enjoyed listening to you & Shimelle and got some great ideas.  It just occured to me while listening that you are so flexible with how you do things and just manage to make it all work.  Someone like Jennifer Wilson plans things out more and seems to like things more structured so another option when having deep dive classes would be to have someone who differs from your approach to give different perspectives.  Not saying that has to happen every time but of course we'd like to see more classes!

I myself am not very good at just going with the flow and like to have a little more panned out.  This is probably part of the reason I have half an album done for my Italy trip.  When I say I have half the album done, I have all the photos from the whole trip printed and roughly put into pockets.  I've got photos that relate to 12x12 spreads in pockets.  I still have to choose papers, embellish, add journalling and actually do the 12x12 layouts.  So, in other words, I have no actual pages completed.  I'm not comfortable starting on the pages until I"ve chosen the colors - papers and embellishments.  So, I know, a different approach from just diving in and doing pages but I guess that's what's comfortable for me.

#47 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 04:01 PM

Aw, I think I missed the email about the Webinar. Does it go to the email address of the paypal account I used? I think those go to my husband...
  • anandi likes this

#48 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:57 PM

Noell - I really wasn't trying to criticize.  One of the reasons I bought the course is because I love both yours and Shimelle's work - you're both so creative and inspiring!  I really really enjoyed listening to you & Shimelle and got some great ideas.  It just occured to me while listening that you are so flexible with how you do things and just manage to make it all work.  Someone like Jennifer Wilson plans things out more and seems to like things more structured so another option when having deep dive classes would be to have someone who differs from your approach to give different perspectives.  Not saying that has to happen every time but of course we'd like to see more classes!

I myself am not very good at just going with the flow and like to have a little more panned out.  This is probably part of the reason I have half an album done for my Italy trip.  When I say I have half the album done, I have all the photos from the whole trip printed and roughly put into pockets.  I've got photos that relate to 12x12 spreads in pockets.  I still have to choose papers, embellish, add journalling and actually do the 12x12 layouts.  So, in other words, I have no actual pages completed.  I'm not comfortable starting on the pages until I"ve chosen the colors - papers and embellishments.  So, I know, a different approach from just diving in and doing pages but I guess that's what's comfortable for me.

No worries, Gina. I didn't take it as criticism. I just try to respond to as many comments, requests, suggestions as I can and I wanted to share my thinking on it.

I think the way I do my story album kits could be a happy approach for you -- it's a plan ahead of time method. Even though many of my albums have been with a go-with-the-flow approach, I do much more work from kits now, and prefer working that way.

• Gina likes this

#49 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 09:04 PM

Aw, I think I missed the email about the Webinar. Does it go to the email address of the paypal account I used? I think those go to my husband...

I'm sorry! When you purchased your course an email went to the paypal account email asking you to confirm that you wanted to be on the email list that is specifically for the course. So if you clicked the confirm link without changing your email address, it would have sent the webinar info to your husband. It's also possible you never saw and clicked the link at all.

I did notice that there are about 100 people who bought the course during the promotion that never clicked confirm, so I was not able to send the webinar info to all those people.

Why don't you email me both your husband's and your email addresses and I'll make sure you're on the list with your correct email address. We'll be sending the webinar video recording out soon, probably tomorrow, so please email me quick so I can get you on the list before it goes out! Hopefully you see this message before we send it.

• janygb143 likes this

#50 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 30 May 2015 - 09:29 PM

I was going to try to do the webinar today, but my son's birthday party was this afternoon, so it just didn't happen for me. Looking forward to the recording, though!

• Gina and janygb143 like this

#51 mariangeles

mariangeles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationValencia, Spain, Europe

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:17 AM

Yay! [doing the happy dance here :D]

I was trying to figure out how to listen to the course in my celullar without having to plug it in to the computer, files are too big to send them to me in an email!

I've just had a light bulb moment: Dropbox! I've installed it to my phone and signed in. I'm now ready to start listening to two of my favourite scrappers :D [the third one is May Flaum, in no particular order :)]

• Noell likes this

#52 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:01 PM

Awesome, Mariangeles!!

• mariangeles likes this

#53 janpfh

janpfh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSunny Arizona

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:33 AM

I just started listening to Episode 2 and thought I'd pass on something I've done in my "heritage" album.  Because most of the people in that album are long since dead, I did a short pedigree chart showing their link to me.  I did it on a clear label sticker, which I put in the corner on one or two of the pages about each person.  That way, assuming that future generations are looking at the album, they'll know the connection from me to that person, and hopefully how they are related as well.  Because the label is clear, it doesn't detract from the layout, and can hardly been seen, but it you want the information, it's there for you to read.

I haven't been a story person to this point, but I'm definitely moving in that direction!

• Noell and Ohhh_Snap like this

#54 bethany_jean

bethany_jean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:17 PM

I have listened to the whole audio course now and I listened to/watched the webinar yesterday, and I'm so excited to get started. I decided to start with an album about me and my husband since I already have Noell's Romantic Scrapbooking course to help me. I went through all my scrapbooking supplies and pulled papers and embellishments in the colors I want to mostly have in my album (trying not to stress about visual continuity), and I'm really looking forward to scrapbooking from this "kit." I've never tried this method, but I'm already understanding how it's going to be easier and faster to already have a selection of products to pull from. Thanks, Noell and Shimelle, for all your hard work and great ideas!

• Izzy, Noell, janygb143 and 1 other like this

#55 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 03 June 2015 - 04:39 PM

Someone like Jennifer Wilson plans things out more and seems to like things more structured so another option when having deep dive classes would be to have someone who differs from your approach to give different perspectives.

Gina!! That was my first thought when you spoke about structure :) Jennifer could make that idea into a workbook for everyone!

I don't mind a lack of structure. But now I've printed another 80 layouts and listening to the course. I'm re thinking my original lassez-faire approach. I have story albums I've printed as photo books but I'm not quite satisfied with how the rest of my chronological albums look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Gina and janygb143 like this

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#56 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:21 PM

I just bought a whole mess of white 8.5x11 cardstock.  Does that count? ;)  

• janygb143, geordie281 and MiaScraps like this

#57 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 04 June 2015 - 01:25 AM

It's a start! About 3 yrs ago I bought a ream of white 80 lb paper to make a landscape 8.5*11 travel/story album. I got as far as the into page. Kind of had the whole album mapped out and then somehow got distracted. It's on my list of to do's!
  • Melissa and anandi like this

#58 Gina

Gina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:26 AM

:) Love this!

• anandi likes this

#59 deekaye

deekaye

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:51 PM

First of all, let me say that I hesitated purchasing this course because I'm such a visual learner that I thought I wouldn't enjoy listening to "just talk".  I was so wrong....

I just today finished listening to Session #6.  'Loved every one of them.  I listened to them in my car during my daily 1.5 hour commute and found myself wishing that I had the internet available for instantly looking up things you referenced.  I did scribble a few notes as I commuted (shhh!  Don't tell my State Trooper husband!) and plan to listen to these again because - like the PRT - I seem to hear new things each time.

Unfortunately I missed the live webinar last Saturday but had a chance to watch it last night and I loved that you showed many of the layouts (ie., Trinity's ballet/dance class album) that you talked about in the Sessions.  It kind of tied it all together in my mind.

Overall, I feel that I definitely have already gotten my money's worth... 'looking forward to another course like this one!

• Noell, janygb143 and mshanhun like this

#60 effie

effie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:38 PM

I think I missed getting the webinar email, but even so there's been so much inspiration here! Can't wait to finish up the reorganizing of my craft area and then there are a couple of albums I really want to dig into!! Loving all the suggestions and ideas!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users