Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Did you buy the new Deep Dive course? Chat about it here.

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#21 allerliebsteanika

allerliebsteanika

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 10:36 AM

Today I started my first story album :) Yes, only one ;) but several chapters. I will see if that's something I want to continue and when one chapter gets to full I can always move chapters to other albums. So far I'm really motivated to keep it going. I used the story kit by ali edwards as inspiration for my chapters and added a "home" chapter. so I have: daily, first, am/pm, photography, little things and home. I didn't really know how to integrate Ali's Kit in my normal project life, so this is a good way for me to combine those two.

• Izzy, Noell, jemi and 2 others like this

#22 Krystal

Krystal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationEureka, California

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:50 AM

Loving the course, Izzy and Noell (And Shimelle!!). Hoping for more. Loved the price point and the value of the content. <3! 

• Izzy, Noell, geordie281 and 1 other like this

http://www.krystarella.blogspot.com

Instagram @ KrystalArnot

#23 orbigail

orbigail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 05:05 PM

Like everyone else, I'm LOVING the class. I listened while cleaning my apartment today, and it made the chores a lot more fun. :)

My favorite take away thus far is Izzy's idea to use mind mapping for planning pages/albums. I am a natural planner and list maker, but how I've tried to apply that to my pages/albums is far too rigid. I definitely am prone to end up with analysis paralysis, and sometimes find that I can spend all of my available time/energy making plans instead of pages. If I try to just "scrap as the spirit moves me," though, I can never remember what I really want to do, and I end up wasting my time that way as well. Mind mapping could be the perfect in-between for me! (I'm actually kind of embarrassed I'd never thought of this before...I use mind maps a lot in my professional life, but never thought to apply them to my crafty life).

Related, another idea I'm really excited to put into action is the memory tracking exercise Shimelle described. As a personal journaling exercise, that sounds like a great way to come up with story ideas that go beyond "I was here and I did this."

• Izzy, Noell, janygb143 and 5 others like this

#24 Dottie

Dottie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:28 PM

I got this class because I am getting ready to scrap the 5 years we were stationed in Germany. Those years have had quite an impact on our lives. I am hoping this class will help me create a fleshed out story and just the details like many of my other albums. I am about halfway through the 1st lesson and I believe that I will get the help/inspiration I am looking for. 

• Noell and Tiffany W like this

#25 bethany_jean

bethany_jean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:00 AM

I have to admit that I mostly bought this course to support Paperclipping and because I love Noell, Izzy, and Shimelle. I've never seen anything from them that wasn't very well done and helpful. I've heard Noell talk about her story-centered albums on the PRT before, and I've watched member videos about her process, and I've always thought that was nice but not for me. After having listened to two segments of this audio course, I am ready to jump in with both feet! I have so many ideas going through my head for story-centered albums, and many layouts that I wasn't sure what to do with now have a place - at least in my head! Thank you so much for producing such a quality product that is so helpful. Every week I'm sad when the discussion on the PRT is over, but this course allows so much more conversation and detail, and I just love it. Paperclipping really has revolutionized my scrapbooking in that it has made me so much more of a storyteller. Thank you!

• Izzy, Noell, Laura and 5 others like this

#26 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:07 PM

I've finished listening to the whole thing, and I'm ready to listen again! I listen in the car, as I spend a minimum of 2 hours a day in there on my commute. I loved the super-sized PRT style, and it gave me so much to think about. 99% of my scrapping is my chronological albums. However, I do have an album (or set of albums) documenting my semester abroad in college. That one is story-centered as I understand it. I also really like Shimelle's "upgrade" album idea. I haven't used it yet, but I can imagine doing that, particularly as my boys get over and get more involved in certain activities. I really hope you do more of these audio courses. I will be first in line to buy them if you do!

• Noell, janygb143 and Melissa like this

#27 allerliebsteanika

allerliebsteanika

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:22 PM

I finished listening to days ago and first of all: I really enjoyed it. It was like a really long and more structured roundtable episode (and I love PRT)! 

Even though I know a bit of both systems already, it never felt like it is something I want to try. So yes, like bethany_jean says, it was repitition, but sometimes that's what I need to get me started. Get the same thing explained from a different point of view - or sorrounded with different stories. I also liked the structure of the course and how all three tried to think about questions and thoughts others might have. 

Just some thoughts on future courses:

The overall user experience with downloading a zip containing only 6 audio files is not too overwhelming ;) A pdf with the most important informations would be great. listening to 6 hours again to find out which technique shimelle suggested for journaling... no way :) Or is there something like this and I just missed it?

• Noell, janygb143 and anandi like this

#28 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:21 AM

Well I got lost for a few days down a rabbit hole or two! Busy caring for hubs post surgery and finding pockets of time between his needs and finding Art Journalling youtubes and starting to listen to the Tim Ferriss podcasts. I think I'm addicted to listening to podcasts. Too much listening and not enough doing! So my question is how to keep this story centred class important to my memory keeping process? The note taking for episode one worked well. I can print it out and tack it to the wall. I'm visual. Podcasts get lost and intentions go the same way. I can't tell you how many times I've listened to episode two. And no notes. All the stories being told have my head spinning! In a good way! Will you be able to make this thread a permanent header? I'm not sure what the technical term is.

I keep thinking of how the story gets woven through time and tying the pages together using the same motif. My pages can be so random. Are you concerned about the layouts being visually distinct from one another? Perhaps this was discussed already and I missed it or are not there yet.
  • Noell, janygb143 and Melissa like this

#29 Kari_M

Kari_M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 10:30 AM

I have listened to the complete series and really enjoyed it. I think the format is excellent, so much more time to listen to audio files then be tied to a screen for video content.  I hope there are more of this style in the works!

• Noell likes this

#30 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:44 PM

Just some thoughts on future courses:

The overall user experience with downloading a zip containing only 6 audio files is not too overwhelming ;) A pdf with the most important informations would be great. listening to 6 hours again to find out which technique shimelle suggested for journaling... no way :) Or is there something like this and I just missed it?

Yes, I see your point. That's something to think about. We want this product to be something we can keep inexpensive  so a) anyone can easily afford it and B) we can make more, and maybe even make them at least quarterly.

I won't rule out the idea of providing the outline of the segments -- it just wouldn't be very specific, if I can do that at all.

I do suggest trying segments 2 and 3 for that journaling technique.

• allerliebsteanika and Tiffany W like this

#31 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:50 PM

Well I got lost for a few days down a rabbit hole or two! Busy caring for hubs post surgery and finding pockets of time between his needs and finding Art Journalling youtubes and starting to listen to the Tim Ferriss podcasts. I think I'm addicted to listening to podcasts. Too much listening and not enough doing! So my question is how to keep this story centred class important to my memory keeping process? The note taking for episode one worked well. I can print it out and tack it to the wall. I'm visual. Podcasts get lost and intentions go the same way. I can't tell you how many times I've listened to episode two. And no notes. All the stories being told have my head spinning! In a good way! Will you be able to make this thread a permanent header? I'm not sure what the technical term is.

I keep thinking of how the story gets woven through time and tying the pages together using the same motif. My pages can be so random. Are you concerned about the layouts being visually distinct from one another? Perhaps this was discussed already and I missed it or are not there yet.

I agree that as this is a course, and not just random listening, that having a notebook nearby is a good idea so you can jot down any thoughts. I know that's impossible if you're driving, walking,  etc. I think multiple listens might be a good idea for the Deep Dives. Sometimes you might listen to enjoy and take in the larger concepts. But maybe there should be a listen where you can jot down notes and ideas.

As for the layout designs being distinct or not distinct -- if I understand your question, we talked about that in segments 4-5. But we may not have covered it in the way you're thinking about it. If you listen to those segments and still have questions, please email me and I'll be sure we cover it in the Q&A webinar.

• Tiffany W and anandi like this

#32 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:51 PM

I love hearing everybody's ideas for their own story-centered albums and how you plan to develop the stories with them. Please keep sharing. :)

FYI, watch your emails because I'll soon be sending out the webinar invitation.

• Izzy, Tiffany W, mshanhun and 1 other like this

#33 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:24 AM

I agree that as this is a course, and not just random listening, that having a notebook nearby is a good idea so you can jot down any thoughts. I know that's impossible if you're driving, walking,  etc. I think multiple listens might be a good idea for the Deep Dives. Sometimes you might listen to enjoy and take in the larger concepts. But maybe there should be a listen where you can jot down notes and ideas.
As for the layout designs being distinct or not distinct -- if I understand your question, we talked about that in segments 4-5. But we may not have covered it in the way you're thinking about it. If you listen to those segments and still have questions, please email me and I'll be sure we cover it in the Q&A webinar.

I sat down and listened with intent to about the first third of Part 2. I made notes. I gathered some really good stuff in just a short period of time. It was worthy to take the time to really listen. I particularly loved the quotes and your personal reference to pacing the story. In a thread quite some time back I spoke about my girl's passion for museum visits and how her perspective in viewing the exhibits has changed over the years. This is a story I cherish to write and I think will take some time to be told with depth. I also seem to be cherishing this course as I've not got past Part 2! Much more goodness ahead. Thanks.
  • Noell and Melissa like this

#34 gemma*

gemma*

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 11:38 AM

I already have a system similar to shimelle's, with chronological albums for each year. I also have a childhood album which I add to bit by bit as I discover more photos or more ideas . . . But there isn't much continuity between pages as I have been adding layouts for several years . . . So the style of scrapbooking and the products used changes quite a lot. I also have 'upgrade' albums for trips abroad. But now I have even more ideas for other 'upgrade' albums focusing more on hobbies and interests . . . Just need to find the time!

#35 SusanB

SusanB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:42 AM

I purchased the course right away but just started listening to it today on my morning walk. I'm not even through the first part and am already very inspired!

I've got my layouts in albums but they are very loosely organized based on Stacy Julian's Library of Memories categories (all about us, people we love, places we go, things we do). I have a couple of albums for several of those categories but the pages inside are in no order whatsoever. That's been really bothering me - I want to organize them somehow but honestly I've been procrastinating because the thought of going through all those layouts is overwhelming right now.

I've also been wondering lately that I may be repeating myself with some topics or pages because there's no easy way for me to look back and see whether I've already scrapbooked them.

Listening to Noell and Shimelle talk about recognizing the themes/topics that repeatedly show up in their layouts and then pulling those layouts and making them the subject of their own albums got me thinking that I should be doing the same thing.

For example, one of my life-long hobbies is reading. I've made pages about books, pages about reading, pages about the library, pages about book club, etc., but those pages are haphazardly mixed in with all my other layouts in either an "all about me" album or a "things we do" album. Anyone looking at one of those albums wouldn't really get the big picture - they might notice a layout or two about books but wouldn't know how important reading is to me.

As I was listening, I had to stop and write a few notes on my phone (I think I'll be listening to the rest of the course at home with paper and pen!). I also started thinking about other subjects that might be worthy of their own albums. My plan right now, after I listen to the rest of the course, is to go through my albums and identify the repeating themes. I'll be separating those pages into their own albums. This will both help me organize my layouts and, when I'm thinking about making a layout about a specific topic, will help me quickly see what I've already scrapbooked about that topic. And as another benefit, those people who look through my albums will get a clearer picture of me, my family and what is important to us.

So, thanks Noell, Shimelle and Izzy for such a thought-provoking course! I'm a non-schmo and faithful PRT listener, and I'm looking forward to seeing more Deep Dive courses from you in the future!

• Noell, janygb143, Melissa and 2 others like this

#36 Gina

Gina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:38 PM

I'm another one who just loves both Noell and Shimelle's work so jumped on this on the first day.  I'm so glad I did!  I am pretty much done listening the first time through and am sure I'll listen again.  It's been a fantastic discussion and I've loved listening to Noell & Shimelle.  My only piece of feedback is that both have a similar style  - i.e. not a lot of structure so for people who might like more advice on how to create story albums with more structure, it might be frustrating?  I just had that thought while listening - not that it's a problem for me - kwim?

Although I didn't even think of it when purchasing the class, this has got me all energized to compete a vacation album I started a vacation album for a big family vacation and haven't picked up since last summer.    When Paperclipping had the video about Noell doing her daughter's dance album, I had the idea to do an album about my son's baseball aspirations.  He wants to "take it as far as he can go" and I think this sort of album would be really fun to both do and look back on - as he changes teams and coaches etc. I'm bummed I can't attend the webinar (I think it's ironic I'm attending my daughter's dance recital - after all the talk of dance during the course!) 

Thanks for the great course. I'd love to see more!  

• Noell and allerliebsteanika like this

#37 bethany_jean

bethany_jean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 01:14 PM

I really want to start working with story-centered albums and upgrading some layouts that I've already made, but I'm really struggling with the concept of visual continuity. I wanted to work on a layout today - one that hopefully will go into an upgraded album once I get it together - but I hesitated because I didn't want to choose papers or colors that might not look good with other layouts that I've already done. I'm not really a plan-ahead type of person, and I generally just choose papers and embellishments that look good or sound good in the moment or go well with the pictures. I'm worried that once I start trying to compile layouts into a story album, none of them will "match" or have any visual continuity. I know there are no scrapbooking police and no one's really going to care except me, but I'm just wondering if anyone else struggles with this. Shimelle or Noell, do either of you have story-centered albums where there isn't much visual continuity? Should I even worry about this?

• Noell and Gina like this

#38 allerliebsteanika

allerliebsteanika

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 01:53 PM

med_gallery_138_4_62719.jpg

The first page of my story album is ready :) I will try to keep all pages white & clean in this album. 

• Noell, Tiffany W, Melissa and 3 others like this

#39 Gina

Gina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:27 PM

I really want to start working with story-centered albums and upgrading some layouts that I've already made, but I'm really struggling with the concept of visual continuity. I wanted to work on a layout today - one that hopefully will go into an upgraded album once I get it together - but I hesitated because I didn't want to choose papers or colors that might not look good with other layouts that I've already done. I'm not really a plan-ahead type of person, and I generally just choose papers and embellishments that look good or sound good in the moment or go well with the pictures. I'm worried that once I start trying to compile layouts into a story album, none of them will "match" or have any visual continuity. I know there are no scrapbooking police and no one's really going to care except me, but I'm just wondering if anyone else struggles with this. Shimelle or Noell, do either of you have story-centered albums where there isn't much visual continuity? Should I even worry about this?

I was hoping they would discuss this when they got to the end and were discussing issues you might encounter with story albums that you wouldn't with others.  I have this issue as well - I want to do a school years album for my daughter and have a couple pages I did when she was in Kindergarten but haven't done any since and don't necessarily want to use the same color pallette for the rest.  

Actually as I'm typing this, they did discuss this a little - when Shimelle said occasionally she'll do an upgraded album and have a couple of pages that she did at another time - so she has added in some embellishments or color from the album to tie it in.  I think what you're saying is how do you do this type of album more on the fly without planning papers and colors ahead of time.  Could you plan on a particular stamp or embellishment that you would use on all the pages - you could do different colors but have the same details on each page?  Or maybe do a frame of white or kraft on each page?  Noell mentioned that her album about herself as a kid has lots of different colors - not as much of a planned ahead color palette.  

#40 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:40 PM

My only piece of feedback is that both have a similar style  - i.e. not a lot of structure so for people who might like more advice on how to create story albums with more structure, it might be frustrating?  I just had that thought while listening - not that it's a problem for me - kwim?

This is partly why we shared our resources for our classes + my membership, where people can go to see specific story albums coming together, and partly why Deep Dive courses have a lower price point. But to be specific about this course and why I didn't want to try to teach a specific structure -- Everybody's stories are different, and each story needs to be treated differently. All of my story albums have totally different needs and I work with each one in an individual way according to those needs (I tried to communicate that in the course as I talked them, so hopefully that came across). So if someone needs more structure, their next step would be to join one or more of our various other classes where you can see specific examples. But even then, a more structure-oriented person should see that their own story will be different, and they need to take the general concepts and fit them to their story/album.  I think it would be misleading to try to sell a more specific structure in the course because, sure it would give someone a sense of checking everything off, but then they lose the whole point of the course, which is to look at your life and the big threads that make up your story, to dig deep into what that story says about YOU (and not me), and to draw that out, bit by bit, with each page as you feel inspired.

I'm glad you liked the course, yourself, though. Thank you for the feedback!

• allerliebsteanika, Gina, Tiffany W and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users