Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Did you buy the new Deep Dive course? Chat about it here.

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:42 AM

This might be kind of early -- I know a lot of you who purchased The Story-Centered Album audio course haven't had a chance to start listening to it yet. But I can see that there are a few of you who've wanted to start chatting with other listeners. Plus I'm curious to hear about all the ideas and thoughts you're generating.

So let's give it a go. Might have to be patient, though, while others are waiting for their chance to start listening. :)

If you've already started listening, chat away!

• Izzy, Inkfanatic and janygb143 like this

#2 IAmMikki

IAmMikki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:57 AM

I listened to the 1st episode this morning. I am really loving it! During Shimelle's sale, I purchased Cover to Cover and they go together beauitfully; Cover to Cover really motivated me to start telling my story in a longer form, so I've begun with the fair we go to every year, we've been going since 2009 and it's been so fun making those memories into a cohesive story.

Deep dive has also motivated me to tell more, l had already shared that Kaylee was old enough in 2009 to ride a few of the rides, but now I am also inspired to share "How", which was that I had to go in with her, she picked out her vehicle and then I'd strap her in, then I'd leave the ride area and watch/take pictures. Retrospective and the how of a story aren't things I immediately think about when sharing stories. I am a factual kind of person. Once this process is done, I know this will become it's own album.
  • Izzy, Noell, Inkfanatic and 3 others like this

#3 effie

effie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:46 AM

Listened to the 1st part and it's totally inspiring! Got me thinking about my journaling and trying to balance the journaling on the page, and the journaling of the album(s) as a whole ... 

Great stuff ... and more to come!! Love a good deep discussion.

• Izzy, Noell and Inkfanatic like this

#4 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:15 PM

Awesome! Thank you, Noell. I will say, this could end up being a VERY long thread, given how much content is in that course. We may need a whole forum section for it!

I am 57 minutes into the first chapter, and of course I love it. As Mikki said, the discussion dovetails really well with Shimelle's Cover to Cover class, but takes it further.

I love further!  :D

One thing that really clicks with me is an album that tells a cohesive story. Working with that concept has revolutionized my approach to scrapbooking, really energizing my whole process, and making my albums feel more whole, even while they're still in progress.

On the subject of upgrade albums, I do one for my wedding anniversary every year. The first several years of our marriage, my husband and I traveled for our anniversary and tried to stay in bed and breakfast inns as an ongoing tradition; those trips were documented in mini-books. In 2012 and 2013, though, when we weren't able to travel due to caregiving, we celebrated our anniversary by spending a whole day together. I created full-size 12x12 albums documenting all that we did in those 12 hours or so, and those albums are two of my very favorites. I love that I didn't limit myself to a page or two, just because it was only the span of one day. Making whole albums for those two occasions also emphasized how important it was to me to spend that quality time with my sweetheart, especially because it was so rare a treasure at that time in our lives.

Really looking forward to listening to more of this course and being more inspired than I already have!

• Inkfanatic, Tiffany W, janygb143 and 1 other like this

#5 Krystal

Krystal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationEureka, California

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:22 PM

Yesssssss I did!!!! I haven't listened, yet. I bought it on the first day so I could get the deal, but am forcing myself to finish this grant for work before I listen  :)

YAY!

• Trrrracey, mellygrunwelly and dayb like this

http://www.krystarella.blogspot.com

Instagram @ KrystalArnot

#6 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:58 PM

I'm about halfway through Chapter 1 and it's already inspired me to get back to scrapbooking a vacation album I'm working on. I do a chronological series of PL pages every time we go on a trip, but there's one place that we visit over and over. I want to build a story album about the things that make that place so special - the sights, sounds, things we notice, stories that have happened at different times on different trips. Can't wait to hear more!
  • Inkfanatic and Melissa like this

#7 bestcee

bestcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:16 PM

I've listened to the first one. And I love it! It feels like paperclipping on steroids! Similar format, but no stopping the discussion because of time. I really love the idea of upgraded albums. It is sparking some fresh ideas for me for my pages. I also love the idea of 'permission' to keep playing with the same photo set and let the story evolve into something bigger and more deep. I went to a scrapbook expo and had a blast. I've already documented the basics, and some extra pages. But the Alice tea party has inspired me to give myself permission to go back through and add more. Such as how I got to the scrapping point I'm at, and what it means to me.
  • Inkfanatic, Tiffany W, Melissa and 1 other like this

#8 beccaf1970

beccaf1970

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:24 AM

Listened to the first segment on my commute this morning...loved it! I love the notion of "upgrade albums." Right now, my layouts are sorted chronologically in albums. I do have separate albums for big vacations/travel, heritage layouts, my pets, and my nieces, but at this point they aren't particularly story-centered. I look forward to hearing the rest of the segments to see if this notion gets covered (I'm sure it will!)...how to unify existing layouts into story-centered albums.

I think I'll need to listen to this segment again, because I found my mind wandering a lot (in a good way!) as I started thinking about my own page and album ideas. For example. I have two albums devoted to my college years, which I think of as part of my set of chronological albums. However, I think a lot of the story about college is still missing...why did I pick this college?  It wasn't initially my first choice...it was my mom's alma mater and I applied to humor her, but ended up loving it when I went for a visit. It's also remained a big part of my life since graduation...I've been an alumnae volunteer, have been to reunion every five years, coordinated our 20th reunion and am currently planning our 25th.  I have lots of layouts about those events...maybe I need to pull them from my more recent chronological albums and add them to their own upgraded album.

Sorry for rambling, but wanted to get my thoughts down before I forget them! I look forward to hearing about how other people are being inspired by the discussion!  

• Inkfanatic, Melissa, anandi and 1 other like this

#9 dayb

dayb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:31 AM

Listening while on the elliptical; almost done with part 1

#10 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:35 AM

I had my phone in my back pocket while I did chores yesterday and then listened during my commute to and from town and have lots of notes to make. Hopefully today I'll have some quiet time to sit and listen again and come back here with some thoughts. I know I had many! Thanks for the insightful and inspirational discussion!
  • Inkfanatic, Melissa and bestcee like this

#11 IAmMikki

IAmMikki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:41 AM

Another great companion is the paperclipping episode with Stacie Jullian, Shimille Laine, that episode absolutely changed the way I thought about my organization. Directly after that episode, I went out and purchased D-ring binders and it was out with the post bound. I organize my albums in the Library of Memories way: "Me" "Disney" "Kaylee" "Places We Go" "School/Holidays/Ballet/Misc". After starting Cover to Cover I really started thinking about creating a cohesive story, and since the fair was right around the corner, I decided to start there and so far it's well on the way to becoming an Upgrade Album. Now thanks to Deep Dive, I'm looking at the retrospective, and adding more than just the facts to that album. All this inspiration and I'm only through episode 1, should be listening to episode 2 today.
  • Inkfanatic and beccaf1970 like this

#12 ajohnson

ajohnson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:53 PM

I am on part 4 and have been loving all aspects of it. I took Stacy's Class and Shimille's class and now inspired to really work my albums to tell complete stories. I also really need the push to just make a page and I got that from this. I always feel so compelled not to make a layout because I didn't have a complete story. My albums are sorted Places we Go and use Shimille's "see other album for more details". Love this, Things we Do that are in chronological order but yet are just random pages. I am thinking of pulling some of these pages out and making more albums to tell a bigger story. Very, very inspiring. Also really loving the layout of the class with just audio. Thanks again for your work. Awesome. 

• Izzy and Inkfanatic like this

#13 Inkfanatic

Inkfanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:10 PM

Well, I purchased the first day :D, but haven't had a chance to listen yet...just downloaded it though, and after coming here, I'm really excited to get listening!!! 

Robin

#14 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:00 PM

Hey Robin! My peace and quiet didn't happen so I'm with you...let's keep our intentions in the forefront.
  • Inkfanatic likes this

#15 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 01:26 AM

I pulled out direct or almost direct comments to help me remember my learnings or connections to/with Episode One. These act as sparks.

- A photo album that tells your life story
- Big stories getting diluted
- Upgrade album
- Leaving notes on pages to cross reference
- My learning toward who I am
- Letting someone else know that you believe in them
- Indulging
- Stretching it out
- Connecting the dots....how you got here
- Albums are a work in progress....an open door
- Introductory page/end page....can morph
- Ongoing albums
- Freedom to create....create whatever I want today...whatever makes me creatively happy (speaking of album types..not being confined)
- Story of what makes us unique...inside jokes...what makes us quirky
- Temporary working albums
- Scrapbook pictures as they are found...there are ways to scrapbook the stories w/o the photo
- Story telling on television! (thru the years)

I keep a running list of words or phrases that family members are noted to frequently use. One summer out camping I had to put a quarter in a bowl every time I used the word "actually". It kept everyone on their toes for the week! I'm glad I could be a source of their entertainment. The funny things we say and do!

Almost all my albums are in progress or temporary working albums. I should probably start sorting through them to see what themes develop.

I started memory keeping to help someone find strength and purpose. It worked! Scrapbooking is therapeutic in more ways than one.

Tomorrow I move on to making notes for Episode Two. I have the episodes downloaded on three devices. No excuses!
  • Noell, janygb143, beccaf1970 and 1 other like this

#16 TiffLB

TiffLB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationDover, NH

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:26 AM

I listened to the first part as I drove 1/2 hour to my dance classes...the first part was awesome, and it was a special treat that Noell and Shimille talked about dance albums! I realized that I have a story similar to Shimille's about dancing when I was younger and getting back to it as an adult, and realizing how important it was to me. I have a couple of small layouts, but there's definitely a bigger story there that I want to tell. I'm encouraged to look for those bigger stories more and I'm looking forward to listening to the rest of the course to help me start to put those stories together. Thanks Noell and Shimille!!

~Tiffany

• Noell, Melissa and Trrrracey like this

#17 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:03 AM

I listened to the second segment yesterday on my way to and from Detroit, and I really love the concept of a scrapbook as memoir. Totally resonated with me as I enjoy reading memoirs, and I have thought of writing one. There is a richness to a memoir that appeals to me, and to apply that to a scrapbook makes a lot of sense.

• Izzy and Noell like this

#18 marthaway2002

marthaway2002

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 05:58 AM

I loved the video. I have listened to part 1. It made me feel motivated and encouraged in life. It was so much more than just scrapbooking. I can't wait to listen to the rest. I hope you are able to keep doing this. Noell and Izzy you two are just great people. I've been a little closet fan for years. I would like a course now on Project Life. I'm just getting into it and I'm doing the post it notes and slipping stuff in my albums for later like you've suggested. I just know there is probably a lot of things I'm not doing or catching that might make it better. Im finding it's more like my adult Pokémon game. I'm buying kits to see my cards and not using them once I get them.For now I'm happy and thankful for all you do. I would promote this to anyone because it's worth it. I've learned a lot from you over the years.
  • Izzy, Noell, janygb143 and 1 other like this

#19 JuliaK

JuliaK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationSweden- BorÃ¥s

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:56 PM

It´s so good! I really love listening to it and now I´ve started over. The only thing I feel is "missing" I would love a cheat sheat. A list of the thing you talked about or a check list for getting started... Or something like that. But it´s really good and I feel like my money was well spent!  :D

• Izzy, Noell, TinaC and 4 others like this

#20 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:37 AM

*THIS* is the kind of class for me and I've never purchased an all-audio class!  I've listened to the first session and part of the second so far - I'm forcing myself to "save" it for my walks, which encourages me to get some exercise too, though it makes it hard to take notes!

I love that it's similar yet different from PRT, that there are so many ideas that I'm getting from the discussion, and I also like Izzy's perspective. This course is really great, and if you do more, I will buy them :)

I have a new car that has the fancy Bluetooth audio so I can seamlessly listen to it in the car as well, which is pretty cool since I spend at least an hour a day in there.

• Izzy, Noell, janygb143 and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users