#1 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:48 AM

I'd love to get a list together of papercraft publications that pay you for your submissions, and maybe even Design Teams that do.  I can't figure out why that info is so hard to find.  IMO if you're doing work for a company, they should pay, and not just in product. 

Anyone want to start?  I haven't started doing my comprehensive search just yet :)

#2 jenchapin

jenchapin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:20 AM

Carta Bella and Echo Park DTs pay for publications and blog posts. I believe Pink Paislee pays for both too.

Most DTs pay for CHA work, but for regular blog posts they just provide you with product.

I don't know about publications. The Create magazines as well as Scrapbook & Cards today pay in product. I just had a layout published in Paper Crafts and Scrapbooking and I am not sure if they pay? I haven't received a check if they do.

• anandi and Catherine like this

#3 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:33 AM

Thanks @jenchapin!  I've had not-great experiences with the Create publications and the products they offered were older and less useful.  I believe that Creating Keepsakes used to pay $ for submissions, but even their digital publication is gone now, right?

#4 GwynnAsbury

GwynnAsbury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationMountain View, CA

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:34 PM

So the problem with paid things at this point is that many people don't pay to get access to these beautiful creations - the payment comes in being well known and possibly getting a creative team spot for a company.  I used to do for pay things for Scrapbook.com but people weren't going to the links or purchasing items - and they were losing money.....

• mshanhun likes this

#5 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:10 PM

Yeah, I guess it depends on your goals, too.  If you want exposure, I can see doing some work for free.  But I do think we undersell ourselves.  I think Shimelle has written about this on her blog in the past.  I don't get "advertising" for a company in exchange for free product only.  For me that's a tradeoff of more work for not enough pay.  Obviously others have a different threshold.

Many bloggers and writers won't write for a site that doesn't offer compensation.  It's a sticky choice with sites like Huffington Post which may bring a lot of traffic and exposure but expect you to do the work for no pay.  I've had a couple of friends decline that offer and I'm surprised it's not a more prevalent issue in the scrapbooking world.  (Or maybe people just don't talk about it.)

• lisa-beesa likes this

#6 MandyMae

MandyMae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationBetween the Mississippi and the Pacific :)

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:43 PM

Okay, I hope I don't sound too clumsy in saying this, my tone is intending to be very nice, so please hang with me.  I think many scrappers are just average folks, average moms, average girls, and when we are good enough at something to be recognized, we are so flattered/honored that we are okay with working without compensation.   As long as there are enough people willing to do work for little to nothing (shoot, I was happy to work for product being a SAHM, if I could support my addiction by doing some work and receiving only product but no money, I was okay with it), as long as those people are willing to do so, it's not likely to change.  There aren't many famous scrappers who started their careers as graphic designers with the intention of going big.  There are a few photographers, but most just stumbled into it.  No one goes to school to get a degree in scrapbooking and then demand a certain wage in the industry.  (Although, if there were a college degree in scrapbooking, I might just consider going back to school!  LOL)

• GwynnAsbury, heidi, gabmc and 4 others like this

#7 jenchapin

jenchapin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:35 PM

Thanks @jenchapin!  I've had not-great experiences with the Create publications and the products they offered were older and less useful.  I believe that Creating Keepsakes used to pay $ for submissions, but even their digital publication is gone now, right?

Yes it's gone. They merged with Paper Crafts magazine, now it's Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking.

Scrapbook & Cards Today actually does send nice product that is current!

#8 jenchapin

jenchapin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:37 PM

I have been on many manufacturer DTs and also done CHA work. In my opinion I am ok with receiving product as compensation for tutorials, blog posts, etc.

When I prefer cash for compensation -- if I am not going to get my project back. For example, CHA work. I am getting product to do the layout, however most times the company will keep the project and in that case I feel monetary compensation is appropriate.

Personally speaking, I have a full time job so I am not looking to make an income with my scrapbooking :) I am mostly looking to share my layouts with others and obtain the latest product in the process.

• GwynnAsbury, Ruth, MelissaE and 3 others like this

#9 Cindy deRosier

Cindy deRosier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:32 AM

I've done DT work in the past for product and for money.  In those cases, I was offered X amount of money, or twice as much value in product or store credit.  Sometimes I chose the money and sometimes the supplies.  

• anandi likes this

#10 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:18 PM

Okay, I hope I don't sound too clumsy in saying this, my tone is intending to be very nice, so please hang with me.  I think many scrappers are just average folks, average moms, average girls, and when we are good enough at something to be recognized, we are so flattered/honored that we are okay with working without compensation.   As long as there are enough people willing to do work for little to nothing (shoot, I was happy to work for product being a SAHM, if I could support my addiction by doing some work and receiving only product but no money, I was okay with it), as long as those people are willing to do so, it's not likely to change.  There aren't many famous scrappers who started their careers as graphic designers with the intention of going big.  There are a few photographers, but most just stumbled into it.  No one goes to school to get a degree in scrapbooking and then demand a certain wage in the industry.  (Although, if there were a college degree in scrapbooking, I might just consider going back to school!  LOL)

This is what frustrates me about the scrapbook industry, and I feel like it's pretty discriminatory towards women.  I don't see a lot of male programmers making corporate iPhone apps for free just for the exposure.  I wish more people would step up and claim their awesome creative skills and demand a reasonable wage for it.  Lots of companies, mostly run by men, are making a ton of money off these lovely creations.  Northridge charged $90/year for each of their print subscriptions - it was the most expensive magazine subscription I had ever had and wasn't even 12 issues!  

I am disheartened that the people making money off this hard work are not the people DOING that hard work, and somehow we scrapbookers are just grateful for the attention.  Maybe this is a larger rant about creative work not being as valued in our society, so I'll stop there.

• Tami, Tiffany W, Erica Hettwer and 5 others like this

#11 MelissaE

MelissaE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:45 PM

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking pays for publication.

And on the other piece of conversation, I appreciate the free product that comes with being on a design team. And after reading your post Jen, I tend to side with what you are saying. Sure it would be AMAZING to have monetary compensation for the work I've done in the past but, really and truly, I don't mind. Whether that's good or bad, fair or not, I'm happy with the product. In fact, I've ended up saving a LOT of money by designing. haha! Because Lord knows I would have spent $100's on product if it hadn't come in the other way. 

And, thankfully, there are publications that still pay like Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking. It's fun to get those little checks (when I remember to submit and get something accepted!) but, it has never been an expectation. Maybe if I did it full time or didn't have another career that pays me. This is just icing on the cake and helps to enable my hobby. 

My Blog: The Profound Brunette

Lead Contributing Artist: Inside Out Visual Journaling

#12 Ruth

Ruth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:57 AM

I think the issue is also that people are able to blog and share equally beautiful layouts without readers needing a magazine at all, so magazines have a tough job staying in a position to earn enough income to pay anyone. 

#13 Katie Scott

Katie Scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:03 PM

I think if you want to be paid for making scrapbook pages, you might try teaching online.

• mshanhun likes this

#14 Mindygail

Mindygail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:57 PM

I agree with Mandymae!~ As long as people are pleased getting the recognition and supplies that is probably all they will get idk I have never been published EVER~! I have been scrapbooking for 14 years!!

Does anyone have any ideas or secrets for getting published but in my defense I have never tried to get published so there ya go  ha ha.

mindygail

Mindy Gail Mammen

#15 TraceyC

TraceyC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:24 PM

The paper magazines in Australia still pay for the layouts that publish. They put out a call for submission in certain themes and you send in a photo of your layout. If they like it and think it fits the theme they request that you send in your layout - they professional photogrpah it and send it back. You ahve to send in a list of what materials you have used on your layout and a few handy hints or tips.

The money is not a great amount - but every little bit adds up to more scrapbooking supplies. ;)

• mshanhun and anandi like this

Hugs

Tracey

You can find me here:

http://3obsessions.blogspot.com.au/

#16 clrecker

clrecker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationArnprior, Ontario

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:43 AM

100% agree with Mandymae and anandi! I firmly believe its a gender issue. Women are far more likely than men to take free product over monetary compensation. I understand that some of these publications are free but perhaps it can be a choice offered to the creators so that those people who prefer supplies can chose that over money. I think this whole issue goes to fundamental belief that women, as secondary income earners in the holdhold (usually) don't "need" to be paid as high as men who are supporting families. OK I could go on and on. Off my soapbox now. I am happy to pay a subscription fee to online content that is worth it and if the content is free then I try to purchase at least one class per year to contribute.

• mshanhun and anandi like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users