Photo

How do you use pocket pages with your traditional album?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 got2stamp

got2stamp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 04:51 AM

I hear people talk about using Project Life with their traditional albums but I don't understand how that can work unless you are completely chronological. If you do a two page spread with pocket pages you've got a back side that must also be pocket pages. If you don't know where in the album and page will be how can plan for that? 

Confused....does anyone have a solution for this?

#2 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:37 AM

Yeah, I do this all the time and love it. Once in a long while I have enough photos and cards to use that I end up using both sides of the pocket page. But most of the time that doesn't happen and I am left with the back empty. Here are two different ways I handle that:

1) Eventually I have another story that I'd like to have in pockets only and I add it into one of the empty backs already in the album.

2) I do another 2-page spread that is pockets on the left and 12x12 traditional on the right. I just make sure the directional lines of the 12x12 page lead left toward the pockets.

• mariangeles, sugarlandnana, Melissa and 3 others like this

#3 Krighaar

Krighaar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:26 AM

I have used some of those beautiful papers that I know I will never use, and cut them up to fill empty backsides.
  • DebbieP, sugarlandnana, Melissa and 3 others like this

#4 sugarlandnana

sugarlandnana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:23 AM

I totally mix pocket pages with 12x12 layouts in my albums based on story. For my grandson's birthday, I will make a one or two page layout followed by pocket pages with some of the other photos that are important to document the event. But then for his first (and probably only) soccer season, I did it all in pocket pages. I don't really worry about empty backs cause I know I can fill with something else. Noell, I love your idea #2 even using arrows on the traditional page pointing to the left. I'm not as good at using flow and directional lines on a layout as you.  :rolleyes:

• Noell, mariangeles, mshanhun and 2 others like this

#5 Scrapnsee

Scrapnsee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:51 AM

I DO scrap chronologically, so it works for me, but even if you don't you could match up the two sides w/two different (or eight different, or 12 different  :)  :) ) stories.  In some ways, I think it'd be easier to do that NON-chronologically because sometimes I have chronology where I have a PL page (front), then I'd like to do a 12x12 LO and then do that back of the PL page, which obviously isn't possible.  So, I just do the PL page (front & back) in close chronology and then do the 12x12 LO after that in my book.  It works.  It's close enough for me. And I love how it mixes up my album so it's not so predictable.

• Coastalscrapper likes this

#6 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:37 PM

I agree with Scrapnsee -- it's easier when your album doesn't have to follow a strict chronology because you can put whatever you want there and you're not restricted to having to put the next set of picture in the pockets if what you really want to do is a 12x12.

My most recent experience with having a backside of a pocket page to fill went like this: I had two different events that I was scrapping and the first ended with one side of a pocket page. Then I had the next event and I wanted that next event to be on a 12x12 standard page. But there was a bit of story in-between the two events that linked those events in terms of Trinity's ballet story. So I found a beautiful piece of 12x12 paper and cut it up into pieces that would fit into an entire pocket page. But then I substituted a couple of those pieces with lined white paper for journaling for my story. I added a title to one or two of the patterned pieces, and then put them all in the pockets.

So most of the pocket page is just the one piece of beautiful paper (with glitter!), plus those journal pieces. I put this together in one of the recent member videos. It's part of Trinity's ballet story album.

• mariangeles, Melissa, MiaScraps and 1 other like this

#7 got2stamp

got2stamp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:42 AM

Thanks for the great feedback! This was my first post. I'm excited to become a part of the paperclipping forum. I've always been a lone scrapper, no forums, no posting, no crops and now no stores. I've fallen off the band wagon for the last year (which, sadly, is my daughter's senior year). But in all of that my only link to the scrapbooking community has been the roundtable.

Thanks Noell and Izzy for your effort. I'm really excited about your new audio class idea. 

• Noell, mariangeles, sugarlandnana and 5 others like this

#8 scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:10 PM

I don't scrap chronologically, but I do file my pages that way. I love using pocket pages as a place to hold extra photos, especially those that go along with a single-photo layout that I've made. I don't really worry too much if the back (or front) of a pocket page is empty in my album, because chances are I'll eventually fill it in with photos- even if I end up just going back and printing some extra photos specifically for that purpose. For me, an album is never really finished, I just keep adding to them as I scrap and moving pages around to fit new bits of chronology in as needed. :)

• Noell, mariangeles, DebbieP and 6 others like this

#9 got2stamp

got2stamp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:15 PM

Scrappyjedi - I file just like you. I don't scrap in any kind of order but when I go to put them away they will be put in a certain place. I already have blank 12x12 spots but I guess I never considered just being okay with a blank pocket page. 

• mshanhun and triplettkarla like this

#10 Miss Niki

Miss Niki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:37 PM

I think others have described this process already but here is my take on it...I call it Bookends. I scrap a 12x12 on the left, a Making Memories pocket page (so many assorted types) to fit my photos in the middle and another 12 x 12 on the right (end) to finish the event. Then I start over with a new event on the backside. Very fluid and chronological. I too, have added various pattern papers to fill the back side of a pocket page; this was before I started with my Bookend system.

• Noell, Melissa, MiaScraps and 3 others like this

#11 got2stamp

got2stamp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:26 AM

Bookends - cool idea.

• Miss Niki likes this

#12 bestcee

bestcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:42 AM

This is one area where digital rocks! I don't have to worry about the backside, because everything goes into a 12x12 protector. I do love the bookend idea and the pretty Paper idea!

I also thought for big events, maybe have journaling fill it? If you can get others to add comments about the experience, you could put each person in a different pocket. Or if it was a sport event the different scores? Or a few highlights? Maybe inside jokes or news headlines that are affecting the time period?
Your story would dictate the best way to fill them, but those are a few ideas I have.
  • janygb143 and mshanhun like this

#13 Trrrracey

Trrrracey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationCentral Ohio

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:27 AM

I don't remember if I shared this in the "Dream Products" thread, but THIS is why one of my "dream products" is pocket pages that have pockets on just one side, but the other side is a blank 12x12 opening. OR pocket pages that are just one-sided to begin with, but there's some way you can stick on the pocket design of your choice to the backside. Since they're clear, you technically COULD scrap the same design on both sides, but there would be a way to easily stick a new design onto the other side if you wanted to make a different choice.  I realize someone could easily dummy this up by sticking or stitching pages together, but I think it would look more finished if a manufacturer came up with a nice method for attaching everything. ^_^  

I really dislike leaving things looking unfinished in my albums, even if the album itself is an ongoing project, and I don't like feeling like I'm stuck with a particular pocket design on the other side of the page. In the absence of my "dream product", I tend to either only use a pocket page in my traditional album if I already know what's happening on the other side, or I forgo the pockets and just stick my items or PL cards down to a blank piece of cardstock in the same arrangement as I would if I was using a pocket page. Even before PL was a thing, I often made pages of tiled 4x6 and 3x4 elements on 12x12 paper. I think I'd only need the actual pocket page if it was important for me to be able to get my items out again later.

#14 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:57 PM

Oh I just leave them blank. It looks messy but life's too short! I'll come back and fix them later as Melissa (scrappyjedi) suggests by printing photos or using some of my eleventy billion spare PL cards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • janygb143, Melissa, Coastalscrapper and 1 other like this

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#15 Gladdie

Gladdie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 04:55 PM

Just wanted to add the option of using Project Life on the iPad or iPhone - you can get your layout printed as a 12x12 for $1.99 from Persnickety Prints - very affordable, looks great, the quality is wonderful, and you don't have the problem trying to fill in the pockets on the back.  I tend to mix it all up!

x

• mshanhun and bestcee like this

#16 Gladdie

Gladdie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 04:57 PM

Just wanted to add the option of using Project Life on the iPad or iPhone - you can get your layout printed as a 12x12 for $1.99 from Persnickety Prints - very affordable, looks great, the quality is wonderful, and you don't have the problem of trying to fill in the pockets on the back.  I tend to mix it all up!

x

#17 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 06:19 PM

Oh I just leave them blank. It looks messy but life's too short! I'll come back and fix them later as Melissa (scrappyjedi) suggests by printing photos or using some of my eleventy billion spare PL cards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eleventy billion.  :P  That's funny.

• janygb143 and mshanhun like this

#18 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:30 PM

If I'm doing a pocket page layout, I don't make it "facing" pages - I just do a front and a back of one pocket page so it's self-contained.  If I don't have a ton of photos, I just spread them out over both sides, do lots of journaling and filler cards, so the page doesn't need anything else, or for me to come back to it later.  I do my PL like this now too, so I don't have to deal with the continuity of making last month's back side page with the new ones I want to add.  

Works so much better and each month is a self-contained project this way, so I can intersperse full page layouts, etc.

#19 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 13 July 2015 - 12:51 AM

I just bought my first package of PL page protectors! I'm so excited! I plan to set up a PL type area on one end of the dining room table for our three week staycation this year. We won't be able to do a big trip this year but I have tons of day stuff planned. I'm hoping to print pictures daily and keep a smash type of story for just the three weeks. So it will be chronological. I think I should make up a tray with pens, adhesive and an assortment of non-themed journaling cards and embellishments. I'm really hoping the rest of the family will be drawn in to participate if I put it within their path. Wish me luck!
  • janygb143, Melissa, anandi and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users