#1 dayb

dayb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 02 May 2015 - 08:53 AM

I don't get on the band wagon often but this is really bothering me...

I recently did an update to iPhoto and this is what i found out: Apple has changed their storage plans.

If you log into iPhoto or iCloud  it will repopulate deleted photos from the past year+/_ or so. In my case it was almost 3k of photos. (luckly, i am not a person who stores a lot on my phone and other devices, but keep them on my computer; which means i go into iPhoto delete or grab them)

Not only do your photos part of your storage plan, but everything in your inbox, all your apps, even the unused ones and sorry to say, any downloaded podcasts on your phone, iPad.

Well I made the mistake of picking the wrong storage plan and I can't downgrade unless i contact apple.

And if you have not noticed it is mandatory to have a card of some sort in iTunes. ( i don't store any cc anywhere, so I had rebate card that I plugged in.)

Did Apple give us the razor and is now selling us the blades at a premium?

Will Google follow? (Will Google charge for storage? Even all those photos on your blog? What about utube videos?)

Do your deleted photos every go away? Will they pop up somewhere years from now?

#2 Izzy

Izzy

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 418 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:08 AM

I have some good news for you... :)

The good news is that it's possible to *not* have your photos automatically synced with iCloud. So if you don't want to pay for iCloud you can choose to not use it.

Also, you *can* downgrade your plan without contacting Apple. On your device, go to iCloud settings > Storage > Change Storage Plan.

And you can delete photos from both your device and iCloud to free up space. iCloud will hang on to the photos for 40 days before deleting them though. This gives users a chance to change their minds on deleted photos.

And yes, I expect that many people will choose to pay for larger iCloud plans (like I did) because I want all my photos synced everywhere on each of my devices, and that's something I'm personally willing to pay for. Totally up to the user though.

Google already charges for extra Google Drive space.

In short, your questions are good ones, but I don't think you have much to worry about. All of these things are optional, and you can choose to pay for what you want. Or not.

That said, I think I'll mention on the Roundtable that if you have a photo library larger than 5GB, and you want to you use iCloud to backup and sync the photos to all devices, there are costs involved. That's good for folks to know. :)

• mshanhun, Scrapnsee and bestcee like this

Do you have a suggestion or feedback about the Paperclipping Forums? Please let me know!

Instagram | User Guidelines

#3 dayb

dayb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:48 PM

@ Izzy: In my circle, I don't think everyone one knows the results of the update...yet.

As far as google; guess I never got to that point yet.  :wub:  (< me feeling so stupid) but. thank you.

FYI when I went to settings > Storage > Change Storage Plan, this was what I got: "You may cancel or downgrade from your device at anytime. Contact Apple within 15 days of an upgrade for a refund. Partial refunds are available where required by law."

(done is grayed out)

I'll have to research how to by pass iCloud.

#4 Izzy

Izzy

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 418 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 03 May 2015 - 03:45 PM

This is what I see on my iPhone when I visit "Settings > Storage > Change Storage Plan":

Attached File  IMG_0177.jpg   67.31KB   4 downloads

I'm not sure why you're not seeing the same thing. Strange.

Right now I'm barely squeezing under the 200 GB plan, but that won't last long, I think. :)

Do you have a suggestion or feedback about the Paperclipping Forums? Please let me know!

#5 bestcee

bestcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:09 AM

This is what I see on my iPhone when I visit "Settings > Storage > Change Storage Plan":

attachicon.gifIMG_0177.jpg

I'm not sure why you're not seeing the same thing. Strange.

Right now I'm barely squeezing under the 200 GB plan, but that won't last long, I think. :)

Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see where you can downgrade izzy, only upgrade.

#6 Izzy

Izzy

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 418 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:21 AM

@bestcee, in the image I posted above, you'll see "Downgrade Options" listed. You just tap on that.

Of course, you can only downgrade if you've already upgraded at some point. So if you haven't upgraded your iCloud storage, you won't see a downgrade option. :)

• bestcee likes this

#7 bestcee

bestcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:24 AM

Gotcha. The image to me looked all greyed out where you downgrade. But now that you point it out, I see the arrow.
  • Izzy and dayb like this

#8 Izzy

Izzy

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 418 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:59 AM

Yeah, it's kind of subtle. Certainly could be easy to miss. :)

#9 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:29 PM

I'm so frustrated that you can only get 5gb back up to the cloud for free and since my iPhone (all iPhones actually) are bigger than that, I can't even use the iCloud on my desktop anymore, it says I need to upgrade before I can sync my phone.

So yes, my phone can only back up manually via plugging it in and using iTunes. (My brothers spend hours talking me out of trying to use iTunes when they messed up the podcasting features a year or two ago - I finally saw the light and now can't back up my phone LOL)

It's days like this is seriously wonder why I have an Apple device. (That and the fact they charge us here in Australia double for everything - devices, apps and music etc, just because people like me keep paying)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iphoto, iCloud apple, google, apple, emails, apps, iphone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users