#1 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:01 PM

http://www.adobe.com...m/features.html

I haven't read all of them, but THERE'S FACIAL RECOGNITION!! Any feedback from anyone who's upgraded already?

#2 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:26 PM

I heard it was out, but have not had 5 minutes to install it!

• janygb143 likes this

Wendyzine Scraps

Studio Wendy @ Scrapbookgraphics  •  Photoshop & Elements Instructor

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#3 LeslieM

LeslieM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:06 AM

I am beyond thrilled with the face recognition!!!  I have a photo library of 80,450 photos.  I have 5 kids, been taking digital photographs since 2005 and have scanned my family's heritage photos, photos and slides of my childhood, my predigital negatives, etc. (I was ScanCafe's best customer for a while, ha!)

I have tried to work on keywording my photos in an organized manner (trying to keep current plus working in a chronological manner plus keywording as I looked at photos) but it was slow going.

I've had the new LR installed about a week and I can add hundreds (or thousands) of people keywords in an hour. I'm only concentrating on my close family right now and have worked through 2005, 2006 and 2007.  For example in 2007 I only had about 20 keywords with one son's name.  Using the face recogniton option I right clicked on that son's face and selected "find similar".  I was able to add his name to about 400 photos in 15 minutes!  Yes, I need to delete a lot because I may take 30 photos of the same group for the Christmas photo shoot, etc.

Be sure and convert your existing name keywords to photo keywords (right-click in keyword list and select "Convert keywords to person keywords") first.  I didn't and had to re-do a bit. 

My keywording rate will go way down once I get the immediate family done but right now I am having SO MUCH FUN!

Here are a few links:

Video:

https://helpx.adobe....ize-photos.html

Written:

http://www.lightroom...ghtroom-cc-6-0/

• janygb143 likes this

#4 LeslieM

LeslieM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:47 AM

Just checked and  LR shows I've edited 6,368 photos this past week---all I've done is add face recognition keywords! banana.gif   (big family, lots of photos in my library)

Leslie

#5 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:50 AM

WOW! Thanks @Leslie! That's awesome. I am always so nervous about upgrading software so soon after release (in case of glitches), but maybe I'll upgrade to CC this weekend in honor of iNSD? That would take a huge weight off of my shoulders as far as being behind in my photo cataloging. I'll have to take a closer look at the Lightroom Queen info. That's so comprehensive!

Do all the usual LR filters still work if you're looking at Facial tags? Like picks/flags, star ratings, color labels, etc? Do you think it's better to go by yearly folders than to try to catalog ALL photographs? Sorry if the LRQueen article addresses it. Always more helpful to have real-world feedback :)

Oh, how do you check how many photos you've edited in a week? That's a cool feature I never knew about!

#6 LeslieM

LeslieM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:03 AM

I'm not sure if LR already had this special collection or if I set it up but under Smart Collections you can set up a Recently Modified collection to show you photos with edit dates in the past 7 days.

Yes, you can use the pick/flags/star ratings/color labels.

I did face tagging non-stop the past week (fortunate to have had the past 2 days totally free for the task) and am pleased to announce I have 34,953 faces tagged and 42,097 faces unnamed!. I added 20,453 keyword names to my immediate family alone! (me, dh and 5 kids)   I went through the folders by year (or sometimes 2 or 3  years at a time) and let LR do the work of finding faces.  Then I cherry picked the LR findings and moved on.  For example, LR might show 300 keywords of my son right off the bat and then show another 1500 photos that were "similar" to him and I'd have to hunt through several pages to find him mixed in with other people.  After a while I would simply pick the big batch LR found (at the top of results) and scroll through a few pages of more suggestions and then move on.  My computer (fairly new and powerful) could handle searching for matching faces through less than 10,000 photos at  time, but it was reaallly slow if I tried to have it sort through all 80,000 photos.  

I learned how to use face feature well.  I'm happy with the results and will continue to do face tagging as I work with my photos in the future.

I ordered the Martin Evening LR CC book from Amazon.  I've tried Kelby in the past but thought I'd try a new author for a change.  I've got a lot to learn about editing and exporting in LR>  

• janygb143 and mshanhun like this

#7 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:11 AM

Oh, nice work!!! That's awesome. How do you think you'll add it to your future workflow? Tag as you upload new ones, or wait until you have a bigger batch? Please let us know what you think of that M. Evening book!

#8 LeslieM

LeslieM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:29 PM

I'll add the photo keywords as I import future photos.  So quick and easy now that I'm familiar with the process!  :)   Leslie

• janygb143 and mshanhun like this

#9 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:39 PM

Even though I will keep using PSE for my photo organizing I had to try the new version to see what's happening :) (Gotta love that CC subscription!)

So I'm playing with the facial recognition and the first thing that jumps out at me is that you have to type everyone's names in. 

In Picasa (gmail) and PSE (Facebook) you can use an existing list of contacts and that saves a lot of time. I guess iPhoto makes you type them all in too?

Lightroom seems to want to show the onscreen keyboard since i have a Bamboo tablet. It seems to be a bug from the other reports I've seen.

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#10 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:49 PM

I should say, I have 3 children, 5 siblings and 17 cousins, not to mention the extended family, so I guess that's why I care about the lists :)

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#11 LeslieM

LeslieM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 05:53 AM

you can use an existing list of people keywords.  I have 5 kids, 3 sisters, dh has 3 siblings and my kids have about 50 first cousins.  I had to right-click on a name in my keyword list and convert it into a people keyword.  The first time I called up the face recognition part of LR I did have to type  a person's name in and that person moved from the unnamed section to the named section of the workspace.  Double click on the named person and it should show all the other similar faces.  Confirm they are indeed your person and boom! you have another 5 or 50 people keyworded.   :)

• janygb143 likes this

#12 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:28 AM

If you're going folder-by-folder (or a few at a time), do you feel like LR "learns" who's who as you go along? Like, consolidating more faces as you add names?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users