32 replies to this topic

#21 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:30 AM

@anandi, one of my other ideas was to find a "what was high school like?" quiz online, if you are missing pictures. I haven't googled it yet, but one of those surveys (like those chain letters we used to get via email) could help spark pages. I'd google images, too... Maybe of products that were available during that time, school supplies you used, places you used to frequent! I'm currently listening to PRT201 about Scrapbooking college, and there are lots of great ideas in there!
  • anandi likes this

#22 terriOMG

terriOMG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationWest Bloomfield, Michigan

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:51 PM

Anandi, your story is such a compelling one. I would suggest you write down the snippets of stories you remember and cherish... "If you write, the photos will come". The writing is so therapeutic and often leads you down new paths, once completed.

• MiaScraps and anandi like this

#23 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:19 AM

MiaScraps, I don't know about yours, but the library here has yearbooks from the high schools going back forever. They keep them in the reference section. The library in Massachusetts did the same. In Canada, my mom has found a lot of yearbooks at the historical society.

Oh hh..perhaps the school library! Thanks!

#24 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:44 AM

Thanks!  Such great ideas here.  I started a little book which is half-scrapbook, half journal, about college and it'll likely have more writing than layouts.  I also started putting snippets of memories in my OneNote for layout ideas - you guys are right, random things just come up here and there. I'm afraid I'll forget them but I guess I need to get past the panic and just start writing things down.  

(I feel the same way about my kids' "little moments" - so often I think I won't forget a conversation, but if I don't write it down, I will.)

Unfortunately I don't live close enough to my university to go take photos, though doing that has been on my list for a while. I have a friend who lives a couple of hours away, so I may combine those two trips. 

@MiaScraps -

If you're in touch with friends from high school, maybe some of them have their yearbooks around and would let you borrow them for a bit? Also I'm guessing the school has multiple copies too?

• janygb143 likes this

#25 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:46 AM

On a related note, my university has a pretty serious "Archives" collection of photos, interviews, papers, etc.  I just found some photos of my "secret library" study spot online and requested a digital copy and they're going to send it to me for free since I am an alumna.  Pretty cool :)

• janygb143 and Alissa@lifeonlakeland like this

#26 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:07 AM

On a related note, my university has a pretty serious "Archives" collection of photos, interviews, papers, etc.  I just found some photos of my "secret library" study spot online and requested a digital copy and they're going to send it to me for free since I am an alumna.  Pretty cool :)

That is cool!  :)  I was wishing my high school would have archived photos as I would love to have digital copies of the ones of me, not that there were many, but better than none or those clipped from the school paper.

• anandi likes this

#27 bestcee

bestcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:03 AM

Does your high school have a Facebook page? Or an alumni page? Maybe you could ask there and see if anyone had any photos they will share?
  • Melissa and Trrrracey like this

#28 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 04:24 PM

Does your high school have a Facebook page? Or an alumni page? Maybe you could ask there and see if anyone had any photos they will share?

There is an alumni page. I'm thinking of joining. I will have to see if the school has a FB page. That's a good idea!

#29 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:45 PM

You guys are making me want to do my high school photos. I loved high school (not so much Jr. High) and since I was very much into documenting (through photos and a journal) at that time, I think I have lots of things to work with. College, too. What fun! I'm busy doing my study abroad album right now, but once that's finally done (a 10 year project) then I need to pick my next project, and I think the teen years are it! Although, I was technically a teen when I studied abroad, too! :)

• janygb143, Melissa and anandi like this

#30 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:57 PM

I am forcing myself to finish both girls' baby books before starting Yet Another Project, though :)

• janygb143, Melissa and Alissa@lifeonlakeland like this

#31 scrappinpage

scrappinpage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationNorthern Wisconsin (BRRR...)

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:10 AM

Am I the only one who doesn't really remember much from HS? I don't have lots of memories from my HS days...not that they were bad or anything....I guess it was just not that big of a time in my life! LOL
  • janygb143 likes this
Wendy aka: scrappinpage

#32 BethQuiroz

BethQuiroz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:18 PM

My school is still around and hasn't changed over the years so I thought I would take photos. I could probably get permission to take photos inside as well. This idea only works if you live in close proximity to your HS. 

I substitute teach at my former high school, so I often take photos of the hallways, neighborhood, etc, and upload them to my class' Facebook page so others can see what the school is like now.

• janygb143, Melissa and anandi like this

My blog: bethsblatherings.blogspot.com

Instagram:  http://instagram.com/divinemsq

Guest on PRT Episode #205: Cheesy At Heart

VENI VIDI VELCRO - I came, I saw, I stuck around

#33 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 28 May 2015 - 03:43 PM

Am I the only one who doesn't really remember much from HS? I don't have lots of memories from my HS days...not that they were bad or anything....I guess it was just not that big of a time in my life! LOL

I think I remember a lot, but I wonder if I actually sat down to make pages how much I would remember. It has been a long time. Surely the fact that I teach high school keeps some of those memories in the forefront of my mind moreso than if I had some other occupation, though. I also am still very close with several friends from high school, and invariably some aspect of high school comes up every time we're together.

• janygb143 and Melissa like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users