#1 IAmMikki

IAmMikki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:02 AM

This episode, Noell brought up scrapbooking things that influanced you as a teen/kid and previously the mall had been mentioned and I think it would be so much fun to hear how people are documenting those moments.

How do you handle those horrible photos?
If I could travel in time and tell myself "Turn off the flash!" My photos from my teen years are just awful and while scrapbooking largely has to do with making things pretty without detracting from the photo, sometimes that photo isn't at it's best.

What do you do for things that don't have a photo?
I know this was discussed on the documenting University episode but something like a penpal could be more difficult if you no longer have the letters or items. Scrapbooking the mall would be really interesting, but I know that many of the malls aren't there anymore, or in my case they've remodeled the mall(s) I hung out at in high school. How do you document fashion?
P.S. reddit has a whole community for people wanting to do penpals. I signed up a few months ago for an E-mail only penpal and I am really loving it. I have a penpal from New York City and I have really enjoyed sending e-mails back and forth a few times per week and gettng to know him.

Do you limit what you share?
Teenage years are awkward, but as you get older, that's part of their charm; Do you document that awkward first crush? Do you document your teen celebrity obsessions? There is a podcast called Mortified, where people get on stage and read from their teen diary, it's often crude, totally /face palm enducing and really funny. Yes, with scrapbooking there is that "I don't want my kids knowing that I did ___." but on the flip side, I loved that my grandpa told me all about my parents teen antics (like my dad boosting my mom through the window). This past weekend, I went to dinner with my dad, a family friend and the mormon missionaries and we ate at the restaurant where everyone ditched to in high school so we got talking about ditching and telling funny stories about ditching. My dad turned to me and said "You never ditched did you?" "Nope" I said quickly and went back to telling my tales of ditching. heh

have you ever created "Things I wish I'd known" or "Advice to my teen self"?
  • janygb143, Melissa, MiaScraps and 1 other like this

#2 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:44 PM

I love these ideas. I have not seen many scrapbookers who go back and scrapbook their earlier life, and when they do, more often it's their childhood (and even that has been super hard for me to find). So if anyone knows who has scrapbooked much of their teens, even if it's just been a few pages, please share!!!

• janygb143 and mshanhun like this

#3 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:55 PM

Umm what you mean by everyone ditched to?

I use ditch to mean Dumping someone/breaking up so not quite following? #aussieproblems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#4 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:50 AM

@mshanhun, ditching here is skipping school :)

#5 IAmMikki

IAmMikki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 01 May 2015 - 01:10 PM

Ditching means skipping school. There is also a thing (or at least it was at my school) called "Senior Ditch Day" and it's a certain day of the year when all of the seniors ditch school, it's obviously not "Official" but many teachers plan accordingly, I had a Seniors Only class (creative writing) when I was a Junior and so on Senior Ditch Day it was myself, the teacher and 1 student and we planned ahead which movie we wanted to watch. I would love to scrapbook memories from that class, but I'm a bit lost on how since I don't have any pictures of the class and school has changed aesthetically since I went there.

#6 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:31 PM

We had a Senior Ditch Day, too. I can't remember if I ditched, or what I did. But I do remember that on my younger brother's ditch day, he and his friends sat in lounge chairs on the side of the road, drinking soda, while all the students were driving by on their way to or from (can't remember which). Funny how I remember what my brother did, but not myself, and I wasn't even at the school anymore. The only reason I remember is because I saw a picture of it and I think it was a pretty awesome and funny idea.

• janygb143, Melissa and Julie Paradise like this

#7 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:37 PM

One thing I do remember from my senior year was that there was a senior game where we all bought a certain type harmless bee bee gun, and we were given a name of another senior. We had to hunt that person down (outside of campus) and shoot them. If we shot them, they had to give us their person's name, they were out of the game, and then we were supposed to hunt that next person. Last person still in the game won.

It was super fun. I didn't last long, though. I went over to the house of the guy whose name I had and totally caught him off guard. But amazingly, his buddy who he was hanging out with happened to have my name. So I was totally caught off guard, too, because I assumed I was safe. Nope. I got shot before I could shoot my own guy. Super good times. I definitely want to scrapbook that.

• IAmMikki, janygb143, mshanhun and 2 others like this

#8 alynnkenyon

alynnkenyon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:45 PM

I was already scrapping as teen, so I have a painfully dated scrapbook from those years. It is a scrapbook with paper pages and a string holding the pages together very old school. I used photo corners at least most of the photos. But some are cut in crazy shapes!
  • janygb143, Melissa, mshanhun and 1 other like this

#9 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:38 PM

This thread is hilarious! My mind went to so many teenage antics. I don't have many photos of those years. A few stories yes. Must harness those.

We called it skipping classes. I didn't smoke but I'd go sit in someone's car while they had a cig and we would end up yakking and missing an entire class. I never thought anything of it. Seemed normal! Lol

I received an anonymous gift from someone at school. The school colour clothing. I never did find out who gave them to me. Someone who thought I looked cold? Or needed something new to wear? Haha

How about the time the biology teacher kicked me out of his class! Guess he didn't like my attitude. A few years later I bumped into him at a soccer social function. He made a pass at me. Too funny! Weirdo. He must have been twice my age.

I think I'd rather remember that my best friend went to the cool school so I'd spend my weekends in her neck of the woods hanging out with the cool kids. When I look back...we were all cool kids regardless of the school district. School was fun for me. When I was there
  • janygb143, Melissa and Julie Paradise like this

#10 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:47 PM

@mshanhun, ditching here is skipping school :)

So here not attending school (truancy) is called wagging
Not attending work is chucking a sickie

Seniors ditch day is probably equivalent to 'muck up day' when the year 12s would do practical jokes
http://en.m.wikipedi...iki/Muck-up_day

Since I was homeschooled I got suspicious looks if I was ever at the shops during school time - even with my Mum! LOL

:) I didn't have muck up day and actually many schools don't do it any more since the pranks got out of control.

At the University of Western Australia they do Prosh most years as a fund raising excuse for pranks and a fake newspaper
http://en.m.wikipedi...tern_Australia)

I assume other Uni's/colleges would have a similar thing.

Aaah some people I know could do a mini album on just the list I've mentioned above!!

Not me though, I was a boring goodie two shoes who didn't even donate on Prosh day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • janygb143 likes this

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#11 Trrrracey

Trrrracey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationCentral Ohio

Posted 09 May 2015 - 10:17 PM

I didn't scrap my teen years in a traditional way, but I did get something done with my high school memorabilia and ephemera that has made me really happy. I had these boxes from each year of high school where I had saved all these little bits and pieces -- notes from friends, candy wrappers, ticket stubs, newspaper clippings, pages from my paper planners, certificates, class schedules, etc. I went through the boxes and adhered the items onto pages however they fit best, without any extra embellishment, and I added the occasional photo here and there. I have a book for every year of high school, and these books make me SO happy and bring back so many lovely memories.   

• Noell, janygb143, Melissa and 1 other like this

#12 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:40 PM

I made an 8.5x11 scrapbook of my high school years, during my freshman year of college (2001. Oh my. Almost time for my 15-yr hs reunion?!). I did it chronologically by school year, with a title at the top, a few 4x6s (uncropped!! Too nervous about cutting into originals, even back then, thank goodness!), hand-drawn doodles, and handwritten captions. I had a few two-page spreads about church camp and summer vacations. At the end of each year, I did a spread with all the memorabilia- just taped/glued on whereever it would fit, with little descriptions scribbled in. I LOVE seeing those bits and pieces: origami swans from a guy I liked, friendship bracelets, movie tickets (of course), school IDs, hallway passes, candy wrappers, flair badges that i had pinned to my backpack. It was super simple, but it's fun to look back on the details. So many memories come flooding back that would definitely NOT be remembered if I hadn't written them down back then! It's amazing (and scary) what information time takes away.

I've made a handful of layouts in the last few years about hs. Off-hand, I can remember two: one about my obsession with the Backstreet Boys (oh my. Again.), and one about speech tournaments. I don't know if I can bring myself to scrapbook much more about hs - too many cringe-worthy things, and much more interesting stuff to scrapbook now. I'm kind of content just to write about it in Scrivener and leave it there, for now!

Oh, and for the awful pictures- I would probably enlarge the best, and crop the rest.

And for not having pictures, I thought about drawing a little sketch of what our school looked like (like an architectural drawing) with little flags on each room that I distinctly remember. Biology lab where we dissected crawfish and cats (and a guy in our class ate a lollipop while doing it), the English class where i met my hs best friend, the Art room where I stared out the window trying to figure out how to sketch a still life, the courtyard where we ate lunch on nice days... Ok maybe I can make that page... Haha.
  • Melissa, anandi and Trrrracey like this

#13 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:25 AM

Oh my. Almost time for my 15-yr hs reunion?!)

2016 will be 30 years for me. Oh, how the time does fly...

• BethQuiroz and janygb143 like this

#14 BethQuiroz

BethQuiroz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:53 AM

2016 will be 30 years for me. Oh, how the time does fly...

I just had my 25th last year. Of course, my class was lame so no one organized a reunion.

• janygb143 and Melissa like this

My blog: bethsblatherings.blogspot.com

Instagram:  http://instagram.com/divinemsq

Guest on PRT Episode #205: Cheesy At Heart

VENI VIDI VELCRO - I came, I saw, I stuck around

#15 bestcee

bestcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:55 PM

We called it ditching or skipping until I moved to Utah. Here they call it 'sluffing'. I scrapped as a teen, so I have some interesting Paper pages with Mrs. Grossmans stickers. I want to revisit those albums and see what memories are missing.
  • janygb143 likes this

#16 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:16 PM

I just had my 25th last year. Of course, my class was lame so no one organized a reunion.

As far as I know, there's no reunion scheduled for 30, but my niece is graduating from the same high school. I'm hoping to go to her graduation, and it will be kind of like a mini-reunion.

• janygb143 likes this

#17 terriOMG

terriOMG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationWest Bloomfield, Michigan

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:43 PM

I have a scrapbook of my mother's from when she was in high school (1950's). It is very yellowed and there are tape marks where the tape fell off the things she taped down. There are a few photos, but mostly matchbook covers, ticket stubs, silly bits of crackerjack toys from my dad's (her then boyfriends) car glovebox, a lock of hair... etc. I just love it. I didn't realize it had influenced me to do the same thing when I was in high school. I have the same sort of scrapbook. I just thought "that's what you are supposed to do"! Mine has photos and programs from plays I was in, or plays our school traveled to NY to see, ticket stubs, funny note cards,  menus from my proms, and a silly 'poem' I wrote about summer in my home town at the beach -and a boy I liked at the time. I was embarrassed about that one for a long time, but now cherish it!  My daughter and son are now 22 and 18 and don't scrap, but I have saved so many little things like this for them. (I really need to purge some!) Hopefully, they will appreciate some of them the way I appreciate mine, someday.  Looking at photos is one thing, but touching the little ephemera really makes the stories feel 'real' and have life since you are holding it in your hand.

• janygb143 and Melissa like this

#18 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 15 May 2015 - 09:45 PM

I kept a "Scrapbook" in high school, though I didn't think about it as such. I graduated in 1991 (yikes!).  Last year, I decided to rescue those albums from their sticky-page fate, and redo the important stuff in pocket pages. My goal is to fit the stuff I have from junior high and high school into one 12x12 album instead of the 3 or 4 behemoth photo albums I currently have.

I do regret throwing out an entire box of paper notes from friends (you know, what we did before texting) and my horrible high school teen angst journals so I don't have a ton of background materials to make this new album, only what's in those sticky photo albums.  I have a LOT of ephemera - a piece of fabric from my prom dress, event tickets, confetti from football games, etc. so that's great for pocket pages. I'm madly trying to write down as much as I remember now, though some photos I have NO IDEA who the people are.

I didn't particularly LIKE high school, so I'm fine with whatever I end up with in the album. What I am having a really hard time with is college.  That was an *AMAZING* time for me (and I was still a teen through most of it as I started at 16) and it was before digital photography so I have very few photos and some stuff I can download from Facebook if I go looking.  I am really wondering how to make a great scrapbook from this time in my life when I don't have the photos to go with the memories, and I'm not even sure where all the ephemera is.  (I had a ton but have moved many times since then...)  So I'd love to hear what other people are doing when telling those stories with so few photos.

• janygb143, Melissa, terriOMG and 1 other like this

#19 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:11 AM

Anandi, I like Janygb143 idea of drawing a sketch of the school. My school is still around and hasn't changed over the years so I thought I would take photos. I could probably get permission to take photos inside as well. This idea only works if you live in close proximity to your HS. Another idea I had was to include a street map as I had a bit of a walk to any school I went to. We lived on the periphery of school districts. I could still do that walk and take photos. I don't think many of the homes have changed much either! I did unfortunately lose my yearbook from my graduating class with all the great mementos. The photos. The autographs from friends. It pains me to think of those lost treasures. I think of calling the school to see if they keep copies from each year. Maybe I could photocopy the pages? I should probably start taking photos with my phone whenever I bump into an old school acquaintance. I skipped classes with one of my dental hygienists! How about hijacking ephemera from the school's Internet website? One year I ran home from school everyday when school was out so I could watch a tv show. It started at 3:00. I'd make it home by 3:15. Crazy. If you think about your stories I'm sure you will come up with ideas that will fit. See how tangential I got by being spurred on by your question!
  • BethQuiroz, janygb143, Melissa and 1 other like this

#20 bestcee

bestcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:18 AM

MiaScraps, I don't know about yours, but the library here has yearbooks from the high schools going back forever. They keep them in the reference section. The library in Massachusetts did the same. In Canada, my mom has found a lot of yearbooks at the historical society.
  • Melissa, anandi and Trrrracey like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users