Photo

Is PL "stealing" content from your other albums?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 03:23 PM

I did not intend to make the topic title quite that inflammatory, but it was the most concise way I could think of to say what I want to say with few words, lol. :)

I just moved my 2012 PL pages into a different album. I was not looking at the pages; just moving things over quickly, but in some of the smaller 8.5x11 page protectors I realized there were things that really should be in my boys' own albums. The boys deserve to have those items for themselves, and they contribute well to the stories about their lives.

And you know -- over the past little while I've been noticing that for the past few years I haven't contributed much to the kids' individual albums. So now that is making me wonder what else is in our PL that my kids will miss having in their own albums.

???

I expect it's more drastic in the first couple of PL albums about a year ago I felt like I finally felt a little more confident in how I distinguish between what goes where. But it does make me want to go through all my PL's and see!

Has anyone else looked back and made the same observations?

• mariangeles, janygb143, mshanhun and 2 others like this

#2 bestcee

bestcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 19 April 2015 - 11:57 PM

I use PL as more of an overview. It's like the narration of the story. From there I pull out the stories that deserve a spotlight moment and scrap them bigger. When I look at my first PL, I've been pretty consistent about the overview idea. I have the overview from our move cross country in PL. And I'm ready now to scrap about the important parts of that move. The emotional feelings, and the pieces that went into it, the stress, the heartache, and the excitement. What it was like traveling with two vehicles, a cat, a dog, and a toddler. Those will be seperate and I don't feel like either is stealing from the other. Another example, I have a photo in PL of my son riding a bike and say "First bike ride", but there will be another page on it's own with the whole story. Kinda like that old radio show "The Rest of the Story" by Paul Harvey. So, I don't find PL stealing moments, I find it capturing the moments that would be missed overall, or that don't have a whole story right now. The silly screenshots my husband and I send each other. I did a page about them with the why, but I just add them to PL now. I don't need 4 or 5 pages full of memes and screenshots. Just sprinked into our daily worldview. I found a tidbit in PL about my son calling belly buttons "Beebows". It was totally a daily thing at the time, but now he calls them belly buttons. It's not something I would do a whole page on, but I love that it's sprinkled in PL. 

I guess I look at PL as more of "here's the backgroud", and my pages are more of a "here's the details" on the moments that matter. Sure, the moments that matter may change in the future, and with that my scrapping those moments will change too.

• mariangeles, janygb143, needtime2scrap and 2 others like this

#3 Julie Paradise

Julie Paradise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:01 AM

Nope. I think.

Usually I collect my fotos monthly and have many of them printed, the majority in 4x4". Fotos I like (just because they look good), tell a special story or feel somehow important to me get printed bigger and often I will have duplicates of both the smaller and the bigger versions. (I give those to the grandparents, make foto calenders, frame them, etc.)

The 4x4" go into my PL, where I usually use a 12x12" design with 3 4x4" fotos on top and bottom and a row of 3x4"s in the middle for journal cards. That leads me to an average of 18-24 (rarely 30) 4x4" fotos per month in my PL, which equals 1 1/2 to 3 page protectors filled. 

I try to include memorable events as well as everyday stuff. I love big fotos and see my PL more as a reminder, an overview, using the smaller fotos there. 

For each month I will have about 4-8 extra layouts, mostly prompted by the forum challenges in the danipeuss.de-forum: http://www.danipeuss...forum/index.php . 

Maybe this is a question suited for the people who have been scrapping for a long time, because I started scrapping with PL, probably because of PL, as I was searching for a way to document and collect the small things and mini-events that make up the part of life that tends to get forgotten.

• mariangeles, janygb143 and geordie281 like this

#4 mariangeles

mariangeles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationValencia, Spain, Europe

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:11 AM

Great topic to follow :)

I started PL last year and mix both pocketed pages and regular LOs.

I really don't scrapbook too much lately so I try to take the best of both worlds:

- pocketed pages for small stories than wouldn't do it to a LO (my cousin's sillyness, the weather, inspirational phrases from the web,...) +

- LOs for events & celebrations whenever I feel they "deserve it", big stories, etc

I feel more comfortable mixing them up because I feel like, otherwise, I wouldn't scrapbook at al, I'd be stucked...

#5 needtime2scrap

needtime2scrap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNorthern Alberta

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:40 AM

I agree with bestcee...my PL is more of an overview or a place for some of those quick this is what's happening kind of stories. My scrapbooking is where I pull more of the story/feelings out. So technically I'll "scrapbook" the same photo twice but it might not necessarily be the same story. I personally don't scrapbook birthdays per say but they have a place in my PL albums. I'm not an event type scrapbooker and never have been but I still take photos at those times (birthdays, Easter, Christmas) and PL is great for that documentation, really a no stress way to do it. 

• janygb143 and geordie281 like this

#6 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:04 AM

Yes, and no. It seems to take more effort and energy to create a monthly overview for PL, and I run out of steam for layouts. However, PL does capture all those events and chronological photos that would probably be stuck on my hard drive if I didnt do PL. I'm a lot like bestcee, though, where PL is mostly my "who what when where" while my layouts are "why/feelings". The danger for me is if I don't consciously make an effort, I forget to go back and do layouts or journal in-depth about things that I already covered in PL (in just a broad overview).
  • Trrrracey and Brooke like this

#7 IAmMikki

IAmMikki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:34 AM

I have been doing Project Life since 2010 and I do picture-a-day, and I have not yet felt like Project Life has taken away anything from my layouts. I do know that with certain events I feel good that they're in Project Life, because "If I never get around to scrapbooking that event/trip ect. at least it's here." I don't scrapbook chronologically and there are so many memories and events that there's no way they could all be layouts, so writing a few things about them in Project Life is perfect. Project Life is also a great reference, I so rarely have a time when I can't think of what to scrapbook, all I need to do is flip through my Project Life and something always pops out at me (especially after 5 years).
  • Noell and geordie281 like this

#8 cidcm001

cidcm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:32 PM

I only have PL albums, Kids albums and one for my husband and I.  The PL is the main one where 90% of stuff goes.  Our album is where the bigger picture stories are told, and the kids albums are only updated every 6-12 months with a double page spread.  It's mostly photos of them and the odd sibling one.  I do make sure they write at least two cards about anything, whatever they want to write on those cards is ok.  Favourite foods or movies at the moment, a story about something... anything they like.  It's more of an overview... all about you kind of thing.  Because my PL is hybrid I sometimes print a 6x4 card twice and put it in their album and the family one.  Not often though. 

• janygb143 likes this

#9 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 April 2015 - 05:28 PM

I put many stories in both places. I see PL as an overview. Plus, it's an album I'll keep. My boys' albums are theirs. So, when it's a story I want to scrap and put in their albums, I do so, even if it already exists in PL. Often the story gets told more fully either through longer journaling or page design, or both. Even more so, while I more or less "keep up" with PL, I'm always a few years behind in pages, so the page tends to have a different perspective that the PL entry did.

• Teri H. likes this

#10 geordie281

geordie281

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationAdelaide South Australia

Posted 23 May 2015 - 02:42 PM

I also see PL as an overview, and there are photos which go in there which I would never scrapbook. I've recently started to put a few pocket pages in my traditional albums to store extra photos of something linked to a traditional layout, as I'm taking seriously the observation that no one is printing pictures these days, so future generations may never see these pictures. It is a conscious decision to start printing more photos than I scrap again.

I have never had albums for my children - everything I scrap is mine. Most of my layouts are about my children, but they're mine, not something to burden my children with by passing them on to them. If they want them later, fine, but if they don't, also fine.

• janygb143 likes this

#11 Alissa@lifeonlakeland

Alissa@lifeonlakeland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 03:53 PM

While I agree with most everyone that I see PL as an overview I also see it as a place to capture connections. My daughters are only 3 & 5 and I began PL when my youngest was born. When I look back at our albums in their entirety I can better see the bigger stories and connections that might be layout worthy. Because at this age my daughter's change so rapidly I love being able to see their growth over a particular period in time. However, 2015 is my last year doing PL weekly. My oldest is starting kindergarten and I want to capture our stories in different ways.

• janygb143 and geordie281 like this

#12 Trrrracey

Trrrracey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationCentral Ohio

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:09 AM

For me, PL DID "steal" from my regular scrapbooks a bit. I did a DEEP photo (or more) a day version of PL back in 2011, burned out hard, and haven't done it again since. To this day, I still think "where is this story" or "where is this event" when I look through my traditional layouts, and then I remember, "Ohhhh. That happened in 2011, so it's in one of the PL albums". I have gone back and traditionally scrapped a few of the stories from that time, but overall, 2011 is kind of like this weird PL vacuum in my body of work.  Obviously, I could have continued PL at a different level or found a different system that worked for me, but I've realized I'd just rather incorporate an occasional pocket page into my albums of mostly traditional 12x12 pages.  

• janygb143 and mshanhun like this

#13 KateD

KateD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:57 AM

Sort of… maybe. I have yearly chronological albums. Pre-2012, they're primarily filled with 12x12 pages; starting in 2012, I switched to Project Life and have a few 12x12 pages in those albums. What I've noticed is that the type of story that I'm telling has changed somewhat. I don't include as many longer stories into my PL albums and don't tend to journal as much about each individual photo. However, there are many more photos in the PL albums than there are in my older chronological albums. Some of the stories that I would have told on one 12x12 page are spread out over multiple spreads in my PL albums. And there are many more everyday life kinds of photos in PL.

I really want to sit down with all my albums soon and start figuring out where there are holes and figure out which stories I want to tell to fill those gaps. 

• janygb143 and Julie Paradise like this

#14 RaptorMama

RaptorMama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:09 PM

When I first started PL (2011) I was worried about that so I only used iPhone pics.  I don't stick to that any more, although I do tend to have more iPhone pics in PL and more DSLR pics in my traditional book.  I also consider my PL book to be primarily about me, so the stories that get told are more from my perspective, as opposed to my 12x12 book which is primarily about my children.  

For example, I my daughter out to take bluebonnet pictures.  I scrapped a few pics of her and journaled about how this is a tradition and how she had fun picnicking with her friend.  In PL, I included the one "arty" shot that had no kids and journaled about how my friend and I loved photography.  Same event, but not pulling from one or the other.  I'll also include things in PL that would never make it to a scrapbook page, like a shot of the food at book club, or even a pic of the cover of the book we're reading.  And sometimes I'll include the exact same pic, like from my c-section when all I have is a few iPhone pics.  But the journaling will be very different.  For one, I'm only positive in the big book, but I'll "keep it more real" in PL.

I find I get more irritated with December Daily because I feel the pressure to scrap everything 3 times!  

• Julie Paradise likes this

#15 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:12 AM

I started scrapping with PL then branched into layouts, so not really.  My PL albums are my only album for that year, though now that I'm making lots of other layouts with older photos and "connection" type things, I'll probably start a few Story Albums after listening to the audio course.

I combine full layouts for the same year in with my PL pages (which I do monthly now - SO much easier). I find the PL album is great for people to flip through - so many interesting little "bits" of things to look at.  Real layouts require more concentration/reading, I think.

• janygb143 likes this

#16 littletoki

littletoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 11:59 AM

Yes. I'm currently working on my regular 2012 album and I'm realizing that I'm not feeling motivated to scrap my photos. I think this is because the stories are already told in my PL album and I don't want to scrap them twice. I'm more of a get-that-story-down-and-don't-linger kind of scrapper so I don't like to scrap a photo more than once. There are just too many stories to tell! I've realized that in my albums, bigger stories (weddings, weekend trips) are only briefly covered in my PL and the smaller stories (game night with friends) don't make an appearance at all in my regular 12x12 album. In order to see the entire story of a year, you need to sit with two albums in your lap, my regular 12x12 and a PL album. I'm a chronological scrapbooker so I like my albums to read like a journal or book. The thought of having a year's story is split among several albums drives me crazy. But at the same time, some photos don't really need an entire 12x12 page... I'm so conflicted! I'm still trying to figure out what works best for me but for now I'm going to lay off of PL and see where that leads. 

• janygb143 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users