Photo

What do you wish Photoshop could do... Paper scrappers I need your thoughts too!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 12 April 2015 - 07:39 PM

As a digital scrapbooking expert, I'm lucky enough to work with software companies to help make your scrapbooking simpler, faster and more fun.

But, as an expert, I use these programs almost every day. So I could overlook the very thing that you, the real life scrapbooker, are wishing for.

Would you take a moment to help me out?

Just hit reply and let me know what you wish Photoshop (OR any other scrappy/photo editing program) could do for you.

The sky is the limit!

I can't wait to hear what you think!

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#2 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 04:21 PM

I wish it could do what it does without making such massive files. I also wish it was intuitive and easier to navigate the way Apple products are intuitive.

• Izzy, janygb143 and mshanhun like this

#3 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:17 PM

YES to the massive files thing! Also, I wish it would integrate better with Lightroom without creating massive files there, too (for example - you can open a file directly from LR to Photoshop, but when you make a change, it saves it in LR as a new PSD. I wish it could make a virtual copy or something.) 

I wish there was a way to preview fonts in the exact phrase that you want to use (like some font managers do). Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with my LR+Photoshop workflow. I really only use Photoshop to clone out big weird things in photos, and for building (pretty simple) digital layouts. 

Oh - I wish that the "Load Files to Stack" function worked properly on CS5. It duplicates some layers while leaving other files out. :)

Actually, I have more requests for LR, though… like facial recognition, and whatever technology the iPhone uses to help you decide what burst mode photo is most clear!

#4 cidcm001

cidcm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:38 PM

I love PS... I think it's pretty perfect the way it is. 

• mshanhun likes this

#5 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:15 PM

I wish it could do what it does without making such massive files. I also wish it was intuitive and easier to navigate the way Apple products are intuitive.

Tee hee! Photoshop is not intuitive and the main reason is the legacy of 20 years of previous users and versions

Personally I think that PSE is more intuitive (you click on something to select it by default, for example) than PSE but even still hard feelings new users

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#6 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:40 AM

When scrapbookers started jumping on PSE, I decided to do some video tutorials with it, instead of with PS (which is what I'd been using). I'm sure PSE is more intuitive for people who were not originally using PS, but I found it so confusing and painful to go from PS to PSE!! I finally just gave up trying and stopped using it, LOL!

• wendyzine and mshanhun like this

#7 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:18 PM

When scrapbookers started jumping on PSE, I decided to do some video tutorials with it, instead of with PS (which is what I'd been using). I'm sure PSE is more intuitive for people who were not originally using PS, but I found it so confusing and painful to go from PS to PSE!! I finally just gave up trying and stopped using it, LOL!

That's right, what is intuitive to someone who uses one system is not intuitive to someone using another system.

Many people complain about upside down scrolling on a Mac, but if you never used a PC you could find it more intuitive

It's a hard battle - people say make it more intuitive but what do they actually mean?
  • bestcee likes this

#8 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:19 PM

YES to the massive files thing! Also, I wish it would integrate better with Lightroom without creating massive files there, too (for example - you can open a file directly from LR to Photoshop, but when you make a change, it saves it in LR as a new PSD. I wish it could make a virtual copy or something.)

I wish there was a way to preview fonts in the exact phrase that you want to use (like some font managers do). Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with my LR+Photoshop workflow. I really only use Photoshop to clone out big weird things in photos, and for building (pretty simple) digital layouts.

Oh - I wish that the "Load Files to Stack" function worked properly on CS5. It duplicates some layers while leaving other files out. :)

Actually, I have more requests for LR, though… like facial recognition, and whatever technology the iPhone uses to help you decide what burst mode photo is most clear!

Thanks for the suggestions :)
  • janygb143 likes this

#9 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:15 AM

I just read the LR now has facial recognition in the latest version. I haven't had time to install it and check it out though. I have a script that will load images into a PS file if that helps.

http://shop.scrapboo...it-Stacker.html

• janygb143 and mshanhun like this

Wendyzine Scraps

Studio Wendy @ Scrapbookgraphics  •  Photoshop & Elements Instructor

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#10 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:31 PM

Thanks Wendy! I think I'm going to be switching to CC eventually, but thanks!!

Thought of something else- I wish it was easier to work with multiple clipping masks. A lot of times I'll make all kinds of shapes to sketch out where my photos and papers should go (or templates), and then I drag in all the elements. When I'm ready to clip all the papers/photos, I have to go searching through miles of the Layers Palette for the layer to clip it to. Does that make sense? Maybe it's just me and I'm doing something wrong?

#11 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:03 PM

If you adjust your thumbnail view to show the entire layer, instead of zooming to the element itself. Then you can at least tell the area you want to work with. Another option is to make sure you have the auto select layer option turned on so you can "click" on the object on the canvas itself to select the layer. Then, with the layer selection, drag the paper or photo in and it should appear directly on top.

Another thing I sometimes do is just dump it at the top of the canvas and then CMD+[ or ] to move it up and down the layer stack. As soon as it pops below the shape I want, I know I've gone one layer too far and bring it back up by one.

Wendyzine Scraps

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#12 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:06 PM

I do exactly as Wendy describes :D for both the thumbnails and clipping :D

• janygb143 likes this

#13 allerliebsteanika

allerliebsteanika

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 10:45 AM

Have you tried a font manager to do this while you are working in photoshop? For me this works great, I go to my fontmanager and type in the phrase and when I know which font I'm going to use I will install it and use it in photoshop. As I don't have all my fonts installed anyway it is a good way to work.

• janygb143 likes this

#14 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:31 PM

Have you tried a font manager to do this while you are working in photoshop? For me this works great, I go to my fontmanager and type in the phrase and when I know which font I'm going to use I will install it and use it in photoshop. As I don't have all my fonts installed anyway it is a good way to work.

Yes! I have FontExplorerX and I do use it, but it's old. What program do you use?

#15 allerliebsteanika

allerliebsteanika

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:07 AM

I am using nexus font, it is also old. I think Jessica Sprague used it in one of her older classes and that's when I learned about it. I liked it so I still stick with it :)

• janygb143 and bestcee like this

#16 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:42 AM

I use FontExplorerX Pro.

• janygb143 likes this

Wendyzine Scraps

My Gallery

#17 Tiff

Tiff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationBay Area California

Posted 10 June 2015 - 03:18 PM

I currently use CS4, and I'm not interested in paying a monthly fee for the use of software, so I'm hoping that PSE will soon have all the things I want/need.

Must haves:

Content aware fill (I have a suspicion that PSE already has this, and it is the main thing that is tempting me right now)

Linear Burn for drop shadows

Layer masks (again, perhaps PSE already has this)

Group Layers  - to reduce layers in the layers pallete and to be able to toggle visibility of them all at once.

Wants:

Warp, but I could make due with Smudge, which I believe PSE already has.

Hmmm, I think I want to look up the current capabilities of PSE, because I'm wondering if it already has the things I want, now that I think of them.

#18 bestcee

bestcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:41 PM

Pse11 has:
Smudge
Layer masks

I have an action that let's me group and ungroup layers, but it's not native to PSE.

Content aware fill and linear burn I don't know. Melissa would know for sure. I use dodge and burn for shadowing washi tape, but I'm not sure if that's the same as linear burn?

#19 Tiff

Tiff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationBay Area California

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:14 AM

Is there a way to see if the current version of PSE has all the features I want? The Adobe page for PSE seems to be very general in its description of the software. As a CS4 user, I have specific tools that I use regularly (like those mentioned above), and I would want to know if they are included in PSE before I buy.

#20 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:38 AM

I tested PSE13 for you.

Content Aware Fill: Yes (EDIT>FILL, content aware drop down)

Linear Burn for drop shadows: No I don't see where you can change the blending mode of your drop shadows. You could, however, in theory, set up a style in PS with linear burn shadows and it may very well work. You just cannot add them natively. You CAN do linear burn as a layer mode, so if you manually created your shadows on a separate layer, you could set them to linear burn.

Layer masks: Yes, PSE has layer masks now. They are not in the same place as PS, though. You can add one by going to LAYER>LAYER MASK>REVEAL ALL or HIDE ALL

Group Layers: This is NOT supported, that I am aware

Warp: Not an option. You get Scale, Rotate, Skew, Distort and Perspective, but not Warp or Puppet Warp.

• mshanhun likes this

Wendyzine Scraps

My Gallery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users