27 replies to this topic

#1 DebbieP

DebbieP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationPeoria, Arizona

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:42 AM

I just purchased the American Crafts/Becky Higgins Photo Fuse, (not the WRMK version). It's super easy to use, but I've noticed that if you are not super careful, where you've fused it comes apart fairly easily. Has anyone else had this happen?

#2 juniorclasssponsor

juniorclasssponsor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 06:13 AM

Even if they are AC, aren't they all manufactured in the same place?  Similar to one oil company delivering gas to different named gas stations, but it's all the same gas? Curious for whenever I find and purchase this tool in store.

• mshanhun likes this

#3 DebbieP

DebbieP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 04:05 PM

Yes, WRMK is owned by American Crafts. The only difference seems to be that they are just different colors.  I wish I hadn't purchased it now. I'm hearing in another group that some people are having the same problem. 

#4 cidcm001

cidcm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:27 PM

That's very disappointing.  I have a home made one and I've never had that issue.  I can understand your frustration though... We are yet to recieve the one's for the Australian market yet.  Does your handle get hot?  I've heard that was a bit of an issue as well...

#5 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:31 AM

That's very disappointing.  I have a home made one and I've never had that issue.  I can understand your frustration though... We are yet to recieve the one's for the Australian market yet.  Does your handle get hot?  I've heard that was a bit of an issue as well...

You have a homemade fuse tool?! Did you make it yourself?

• Janet White and dayb like this

#6 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:34 AM

This is very disappointing to hear. Maybe if people return them and let them know they'll improve it. I've been thinking about getting one for all those old photos that are of varying sizes.

I'm curious about whether all of the fuse tools have this problem of not sealing well enough, or if it's hit and miss with some people's tools sealing well, and other people's tools not. Do you know?

#7 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:26 PM

This is very disappointing to hear. Maybe if people return them and let them know they'll improve it. I've been thinking about getting one for all those old photos that are of varying sizes.

I'm curious about whether all of the fuse tools have this problem of not sealing well enough, or if it's hit and miss with some people's tools sealing well, and other people's tools not. Do you know?

I would guess you need to move it more slowly to melt the plastic fully

• Gladdie likes this

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#8 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:26 PM

Christine you should share the pics here!!

• dayb likes this

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#9 joblackford

joblackford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationPacific NW

Posted 26 April 2015 - 08:49 AM

My husband has a cheap soldering iron that works perfectly for fusing page protectors. (I didn't try it for cutting. I would just use a craft knife, although that might be tricky is you're only cutting through one layer. I just don't need to do that.) 

I blogged about my experiments here https://adventuresin...age-protectors/

In the US you can pick up a soldering iron for about $10. It's not as pretty as the Fuse and I'm not sure if it's as easy to use. I did like the look of the guide ruler that came with the Fuse. But it's not worth the $$ to me... 

• IAmMikki, janygb143, anandi and 2 others like this

#10 DebbieP

DebbieP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:47 PM

Update: After checking around the internet for tips and others having problems,  I purchased a WRMK glass mat & it's made all the difference in the world in the fuse that the tool makes. I had been using a Making Memories plastic mat before. The Fuse tool also works best on WRMK & American Crafts page protectors. It still pulled apart on my C-Line protectors. 

• Noell, mshanhun and anandi like this

#11 LynninStLouis

LynninStLouis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:55 PM

The glass mat is a terrific idea.I'll be sure to remember that the next time I use my FUSE.

www.stamperosity.com

#12 Pepper

Pepper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:55 AM

Update: After checking around the internet for tips and others having problems,  I purchased a WRMK glass mat & it's made all the difference in the world in the fuse that the tool makes. I had been using a Making Memories plastic mat before. The Fuse tool also works best on WRMK & American Crafts page protectors. It still pulled apart on my C-Line protectors. 

Is there other way? I dont seem to find this glass mat in my LSS :( I have the same issue , if i push too hard, the page break, if i push too softly, they wont weld :( And I didnt take into consideration that the ruler is small , I cant have one stroke across the 12x12 page protector , i have to do it bit by bit. Furthermore, how do you deal with the back pocket? Suppose I want to make my own customised page layout, and I want to put different thing in the front and the back pocket, how do i Deal with it . Any advice will be appreciated !

P E P P E R  :D 
Facebook || Youtube
[Pepper Creations] || **NEW Instagram**

#13 gabmc

gabmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 01 May 2015 - 02:09 AM

Did you find yours in Singapore Pepper or did you order one from the US? They haven't appeared in LSS in HK yet but I"m keen to get one when they do. Sounds like I might need to get the glass mat as well

Gab

#14 DebbieP

DebbieP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:38 PM

Pepper, you do need to apply slow and even pressure. But not too slow, as it will burn a hole like you said. It takes practice. But the glass mat does for sure help in the seal you get. As far as the making the front & back of the page protector different, it can't be done. I have also been using a long straight edged ruler and running the rolling tip of the tool along that, and it's works well for making the longer fused lines on the protectors. Are you using WRMK or Project Life page protectors? I have found other page protectors don't fuse as well. I found my glass mat at our local Michael's, but you maybe able to find them on line. WRMK has a nice one that is reasonably priced.

• Pepper likes this

#15 Scrapnsee

Scrapnsee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:25 AM

Nicole Jones just did a review if you'd like to see it in action: https://youtu.be/n9s....be/n9sb_OkzQEI.  For me, I don't plan to get one until I see a bit more about it and especially see people using the cutting tip (which I've not yet seen in videos).  I'd like to see someone fuse a 12x12 open page protector into custom size pockets and then use pliers to switch the tips and then cut in the openings for all the new pockets that they made.  Has anyone seen anyone demo that?  

#16 DebbieP

DebbieP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 06:13 PM

Nicole Jones just did a review if you'd like to see it in action: https://youtu.be/n9s....be/n9sb_OkzQEI.  For me, I don't plan to get one until I see a bit more about it and especially see people using the cutting tip (which I've not yet seen in videos).  I'd like to see someone fuse a 12x12 open page protector into custom size pockets and then use pliers to switch the tips and then cut in the openings for all the new pockets that they made.  Has anyone seen anyone demo that?  

Sandra Amelia has a product review on her You Tube channel and she fuses a 12X12 & uses the cutting tip. You can find it here: https://www.youtube....h?v=dERA_PPBrGM

• Scrapnsee likes this

#17 Scrapnsee

Scrapnsee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:18 PM

Thanks, DebbieP. That was really helpful and the first time I've seen someone cutting w/it.  Seems a bit touchy to make it not cut through both pieces, and I'm not sure I would do well w/that. I'd also worry if I didn't make the slots in the right place it might be hard to put a back facing card in the pocket w/o it sticking up past the opening - don't know if I'm explaining that well.  But it was still helpful to see.

#18 LynninStLouis

LynninStLouis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:37 PM

I know that they do recommend that you put a piece of cardstock between (inside) the protective sheet before cutting, so that you avoid cutting through both sides (of course unless you want to cut through both sides)

www.stamperosity.com

#19 dayb

dayb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:51 AM

So how does one make their own PL?

I have a  one that was made for cutting stencils that I found on the clearance rack at Michaels a long time ago, but I can't figure out how to make the pockets smaller...

#20 LynninStLouis

LynninStLouis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:17 AM

I don't understand your question, dayb...are you asking how does the fuse make the pockets smaller?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

www.stamperosity.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users