#41 StampingRooster

StampingRooster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 21 April 2015 - 11:46 AM

Melissa, keeping your family in my thoughts.

• Melissa likes this

Gretchen

Now blogging and posting process videos

#42 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 23 April 2015 - 03:08 AM

I hear you....that was a good question from the student nurse. I keep waiting for things to crash in my life. It's not really a healthy way to live. Gentleness is good. To ourselves and others. My thoughts remain with you and your family.
  • Melissa likes this

#43 Teresa S

Teresa S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:58 AM

Gab,

Medical advances for CF have definitely come a long way!  A dear high school friend of mine succumbed to that awful disease.  This was back right as they isolated the CF gene.  She was so courageous as was her family.  I remember the "love pats" she would receive from her Mom and her scheduled hospital stays for what she called her tune ups.  At that time life expectancy was early 20s.  I am so glad advances keep continuing in that area and that your child is doing well!

#44 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:40 AM

I wanted to let you all know that my mother died on April 25th of pancreatic cancer. I just got back from Texas where she was buried next to my father.

Tomorrow, my nephew's transplant journey begins.

#45 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:21 PM

I'm so very sorry Melissa. May she be at peace now. And you, ever the soldier, moving on to tend to your nephew now. You are an amazing woman.
  • Melissa likes this

#46 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, CANADA

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:32 PM

My deepest sympathy Melissa. I agree you are amazing and strong and I wish you continued strength as you continue on with your nephew during his journey. May his transplant go smoothly and his recovery be quick and may you share many more years together without struggle.
  • Melissa likes this

#47 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:44 AM

Oh Melissa, thinking of you this week! So sorry for your loss. Wow, you're doing so amazing, even checking in here through it all! Prayers for continued peace and strength <3
  • Melissa likes this

#48 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:23 PM

Oh Melissa thinking of you as your nephew has his transplant and you are all dealing with this loss.

My grandma died of pancreatic cancer :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Melissa likes this

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#49 Krystal K

Krystal K

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationAnchorage AK

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:16 PM

Of course you want to be strong for your nephew. Take time to "feel" what you need to to work through your grief. Your emotions are sure to be all over the place and they are all valid and necessary to keep yourself whole. Sending you hugs!
  • Melissa likes this

#50 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 05:41 AM

Thank you all for your kind and thoughtful words. I appreciate you!

• janygb143 likes this

#51 Gina

Gina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:27 PM

I haven't been to the forums in a long long time so even though you started this thread a while ago, I just saw this and read through it.  I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom's passing.  I hope she didn't suffer much and is at peace.  

As I read this, I realized that as long as your nephew is still in remission that his transplant is scheduled for tomorrow.  I hope your nephew's transplant goes well and his recovery goes well.  My sister died from AML Leukemia 10 1/2 years ago and not a day goes by that she isn't in my thoughts.   She had a horrible time with a bone marrow transplant and lots of chemo. I often think of all she went through and how much she suffered and it saddens me that people have to go through that.  Your nephew has already gone through it so he must be incredibly strong to be where he is!  I hope his body continues to FIGHT and beat it!!  They have made tremendous progress in the treatment of Leukemia in the last 10 years.  My thoughts and prayers are with you all.  You must be an incredibly strong and caring person.  I'm sure your nephew is so grateful to have  you in his life!

• Melissa likes this

#52 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:36 PM

I haven't been to the forums in a long long time so even though you started this thread a while ago, I just saw this and read through it.  I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom's passing.  I hope she didn't suffer much and is at peace.  

As I read this, I realized that as long as your nephew is still in remission that his transplant is scheduled for tomorrow.  I hope your nephew's transplant goes well and his recovery goes well.  My sister died from AML Leukemia 10 1/2 years ago and not a day goes by that she isn't in my thoughts.   She had a horrible time with a bone marrow transplant and lots of chemo. I often think of all she went through and how much she suffered and it saddens me that people have to go through that.  Your nephew has already gone through it so he must be incredibly strong to be where he is!  I hope his body continues to FIGHT and beat it!!  They have made tremendous progress in the treatment of Leukemia in the last 10 years.  My thoughts and prayers are with you all.  You must be an incredibly strong and caring person.  I'm sure your nephew is so grateful to have  you in his life!

Thank you, Gina. I so appreciate your compassion, and I'm so very sorry to hear about your loss of your sister. AML is really brutal, not that any cancer is a walk in the park. I know that my nephew was very lucky to have survived his first battle with it. The 5 rounds of chemo he had to have, then the transplant, the recovery, the GVHD, all so difficult. To have the leukemia return as if none of that ever even happened was a huge blow. I'm still not used to it, really.

Today, the infusion portion of the transplant happened. Now, the waiting begins. Fortunately, he had a good day; I expect they won't all be this good as the chemo continues to kill off all of his blood cells, and the new bone marrow starts churning out brand new ones--hopefully, please-please-PLEASE--without any leukemia cells ever, ever again!

He has suffered so much, and not just with leukemia. I want him to not only survive, but thrive and be cancer free so he can go on with his life and create some happy for himself. He deserves that.

#53 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:21 PM

You said it Mellissa....let this young man survive, thrive, be cancer free to live his life! Everyone say PLEASE....no more leukaemia cells ever! I'm feeling positive!
  • Melissa and Maplestock like this

#54 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:38 AM

Thank you, Mia.  :)

#55 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:18 AM

Sending out all the positivity I can muster to you and your nephew.
  • janygb143 and Melissa like this

#56 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:31 PM

Thank you, Maplestock.  :)

Bit of a scare last night. My nephew had some kind of reaction to the infusion of bone marrow and had to be transferred to the Intermediate ICU. I visited for several hours, and he was in mostly good spirits. A little cranky because the ICU room is so much smaller, and he can't play his Xbox in there. He's been really patient, though, and hopefully, he'll get to go back to the regular BMT floor tomorrow morning.

• janygb143 likes this

#57 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:01 PM

Oh my goodness! If he's a little cranky that's a good sign I say, he sounds like he has strong character and that will serve him well. You, too, have strong character from what I can tell so hang in there.. As always, my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Thanks for keeping us in the loop.
  • Melissa likes this

#58 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:43 AM

Oh crush! When he gets through all of this he'll either not want anything to do with health care or he'll become a health professional. He'll know so much!
  • Melissa likes this

#59 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 06:23 AM

Maplestock, I am consistently amazed by his character. He reminds me so much of my father, his grandpa, who was a wonderful man. Thank you for saying I have strong character. I admit, these are difficult days for me, but I am trying to hang in there. :)

Mia, he has said that he has been thinking of going into the medical field, but that was before Leukemia Round 2. He may never want to see a hospital or medical office again after he gets through all of this. He's wicked smart, so he can do whatever he puts his mind to.

• Gina and janygb143 like this

#60 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 06:02 PM

Hey Melissa,
Just checking in to see how you're doing. The days go by so quickly it seems, but I'm sure there are days that feel like they'll never end.
Hope you're finding moments to take a break, no matter how brief it may be.
Still sending positive thoughts out to you and your family.
  • janygb143 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users