71 replies to this topic

#1 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:52 PM

I've tried to start this topic more than once, and I feel a little clunky sharing this at all.

But I decided I need to.

I've mentioned in more than one Picks of the Week thread that I'm dealing with a family crisis, and I have participated in a discussion elsewhere on this forum about scrapbooking difficult stories, particularly my nephew's leukemia.

He had 5 rounds of chemo and a bone marrow transplant in 2013 that was supposed to cure him.

Three weeks ago yesterday, we found out the leukemia is back.

There simply are no words.

He is 22, and he is estranged from his parents, so my husband and I are playing that role in his life and have throughout the past 2.5 years.

We don't really know the prognosis yet. He is in the hospital, and we're taking it a day--sometimes a minute--at a time.

I can't really explain why I wanted to share this with all of you. I just felt like it was the right thing to do.

• janygb143, mshanhun and needtime2scrap like this

#2 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, CANADA

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:57 PM

So sorry to hear this news Melissa, life is not fair sometimes despite our efforts to make it so.  I'm sure your nephew is grateful for all that you and your husband have done for him.  Stay strong and I will think positive thoughts and send them your way.

• Melissa likes this

#3 gabmc

gabmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:01 PM

Oh Melissa I'm so sorry. What a difficult time for you and your family. Your nephew is so lucky to have you and your hubby to help him

• Melissa likes this

Gab

#4 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:14 PM

Thank you both so much. It's been yet another very difficult day in what feels like an endless string of difficult days.

• gabmc likes this

#5 Krystal K

Krystal K

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationAnchorage AK

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:18 AM

I am so sorry! I hope you find ways to manage all of the stress this brings. Make sure to take time for yourself, otherwise you can't be fully present for your nephew.

#6 Teresa S

Teresa S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 05 March 2015 - 05:36 AM

Your nephew is really fortunate to have you guys in his life. 

That just really, really sucks it came back.  Hang in there!! 

• Melissa likes this

#7 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 05:52 AM

Thank you, Krystal and Teresa. Hoping to get a little good news today. We really need it.

#8 gabmc

gabmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 05 March 2015 - 07:39 AM

I can't imagine what a struggle this must be. Please keep us posted. There will always be someone on here for you.

• Melissa likes this

Gab

#9 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:18 PM

A little good news: my nephew was released from the hospital today, about 11 days earlier than expected, and he is home with us. Comfortable, happy, and sleeping.

• Noell, janygb143, mshanhun and 7 others like this

#10 gabmc

gabmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:08 PM

Yay! That is fantastic Melissa!!

• Melissa likes this

Gab

#11 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:34 PM

So happy to hear this Melissa. Please keep us in the loop and we will continue to send positive thoughts your way!
  • Melissa likes this

#12 StampingRooster

StampingRooster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 08 March 2015 - 07:40 AM

I'm so sorry! your family is in my thoughts. 

• Melissa likes this

Gretchen

Now blogging and posting process videos

#13 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:10 PM

Yes...how fortunate he is to have you in his life caring for him and attending to all his needs. Blessed! He needs support. And I hope you feel you can reach out here to get the support you need too. Healing thoughts to all of you.

#14 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:35 AM

Yes...how fortunate he is to have you in his life caring for him and attending to all his needs. Blessed! He needs support. And I hope you feel you can reach out here to get the support you need too. Healing thoughts to all of you.

Thank you, Mia. I really appreciate the support. Right now, we are in a holding pattern, waiting to know what's next, which should happen on Tuesday with the next appointment with the oncologist.

#15 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 15 March 2015 - 07:05 PM

I've heard people say it's the unknowns or the waiting game that can be the hardest part.
  • Melissa likes this

#16 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:42 PM

My nephew had an appt. with his oncologist today. I was supposed to go with him, but earlier in the day, my husband passed out twice from what turned out to be dehydration brought on by a virus he woke up with this morning.

We ended up in the ER, and a very good friend took my nephew to the doctor for me.

22 year old men are not that great at attention to detail--at least this one isn't--but from what he told me about his conversation with the oncologist, he won't be doing any chemo right now because the last round was so hard on him. He will be taking a new drug, however, and we'll see how he does with that. As far as I know, a second bone marrow transplant is in the near future, just not sure when.

Thank you all for being kind and compassionate and supportive. I really need that.

• janygb143 and lezleeptmom like this

#17 gabmc

gabmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 18 March 2015 - 02:25 AM

Oh wow Melissa - you've had a rough time of it.

Firstly I hope your husband is OK now?

And secondly your nephew sounds like he's doing amazingly well. I'm glad he can take a break from the chemo and will send good thoughts your way that this new drug is brilliant.

• Melissa likes this

Gab

#18 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 04:46 AM

Melissa, hang in there! Sometimes it seems like we are being tested and don't know why. I hope your husband is better now; you are dealing with a lot as it is. Please remember to take care of yourself as well, as it is easy to run yourself down while worrying and caring for others. Continue to reach out and we will try to support you as best we can with our thoughts and prayers. Take care.
  • Melissa likes this

#19 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:41 AM

Thank you both so much! My husband is doing well. He was REALLY dehydrated, and once that problem was resolved, he was much better. He is at home, resting and getting a bit restless now that he's feeling better.

I am trying to take care of myself, but it is difficult with so much going on. It's good to be reminded. I appreciate it!

• janygb143 likes this

#20 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:44 PM

Thinking of you this week, Melissa!!
  • Melissa likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users