Photo
- - - - -

DILEMMA : Downsizing scrapbooks or only scrapbooking project life now?

project life mini album scrapbook

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Pepper

Pepper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:59 AM

It has been about 1.5 years since i scrapped a 12x12 page.

I'm currently shifting towards "only scrapping project life" . I like the way it keeps track of my life in a small format, a diary sort of, in a chronological order. Since then, I have not touch my 12x12 papers, using only kits from studio calico, or Becky higgins PL kits. Also using digital journaling cards from The Lilypad. I'm also becoming more and more of a hybrid scrapbooker influenced by Ali edwards and Peppermint Granberg. So I journal on my computer, put them on the photos or journaling card and print them out. 

This makes me think of purging 90% of my scrapbooking supplies and just keep those little stuff for my Project life.

On the other hand I'm drawing more and more connections between events that keeps happening every year, and it makes me want to scrapbook the Stacy Julian library of memories style, where i scrapbook about the event across the year, finding those stories and meaning behind. I was thinking of scrapbooking this in the 12x12 format because I have still quite a few empty 12x12 albums not filled up . Furthermore I have projects in the 12x12 albums format that are not  completed (mostly chronological format)

And I couldn't bare to give up my mixed media supplies which I only use once in awhile (say once every 3-4months?!) I still have lots of interest in the painty , inky and misty stuff. Hence I don't bare to get myself to purge them all !

And then again, my PL in the 6x8 format really takes up lots of ALBUM SPACE! because it's so small and I like to print alot of photos and keep memorabilia, I end up having 3 albums for June 2014 to Dec 2014!!!

Anyone feeling the same dilemma as I do? Do you manage to resolve the conflicting interest? 

• geordie281 likes this

P E P P E R  :D 
Facebook || Youtube
[Pepper Creations] || **NEW Instagram**

#2 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:47 AM

I can understand your dilemma. I think a lot of people, whatever type of scrapbooking they do, encounter the space issue. My husband likes to do some carpentry in his spare (haha!) time, and I'm fortunate he's made me three different shelves for my scrapbooks, so I don't have that concern just yet.

I just started pocket scrapbooking as my main form for 2015's stories in a 12x12 format. I already know I will be interspersing the pocket pages will full 12x12 layouts, maybe other sizes as well. I absolutely LOVE the mix of different page protectors, which I've done a lot of for Journal Your Christmas.

I tried the Library of Memories organization system for my albums, but it didn't work for me. I prefer yearbooks, and I did a re-org of my albums last year to get back to how I like doing it, except for a few ongoing themed albums, like my childhood and the story of us.

Maybe you could have a couple 12x12 albums to do some of those connection pages you talked about, see if doing a 12x12 page once in awhile makes you happy. You could also have a 6x8 album and do those stories in pocket pages in the orientation you prefer. As for the mixed media supplies, you can always use those to create some of your own PL cards. I've done that already, and it was so much fun! I subscribe to Gossamer Blue's kit, and as soon as I knew the colors for January, I assembled some coordinating supplies, mostly Distress inks, and made a few cards I could use with the GB kit.

My advice: do what you want, what makes you happy. There are no rules, no absolutes. You can do both PL and 12x12, kits and mixed media. It's all about your preferences and keeping those memories.

• Pepper, Tiffany W and JerseyGirlAnne like this

#3 Julie Paradise

Julie Paradise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:18 AM

Concerning the space issue: you probably save space, when you do your PL in 12x12, maybe mixed with 12x12 layouts. I could have fit a whole year in one album (without the layouts inbetween, with them it is about 1 1/2 albums, but I am fine with that). This is less space than say 5 6x8 albums per year.

• Noell and geordie281 like this

#4 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:24 AM

Go digital... I can fit about 10x more layouts in the space of a photobook vs 12x12 album.

That said, if you love PL now, and for the foreseeable future want to scrap that way, why keep the stash? You'll want the new stuff later if you do go back to 12x12

• Pepper, wendyzine and Krighaar like this

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#5 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:47 AM

Go digital... I can fit about 10x more layouts in the space of a photobook vs 12x12 album.

That said, if you love PL now, and for the foreseeable future want to scrap that way, why keep the stash? You'll want the new stuff later if you do go back to 12x12

That was my first thought too... go digital and print photobooks! LOL

• Pepper and mshanhun like this

Wendyzine Scraps

Studio Wendy @ Scrapbookgraphics  •  Photoshop & Elements Instructor

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#6 joblackford

joblackford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationPacific NW

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:19 PM

I've had a lot of these same conflicts.

I don't have space for a lot of crafty things and albums, but printing photobooks doesn't give me the same satisfaction as making albums (even albums done in a digi/hybrid style). I have to fit all of my crafty supplies into a ~12x12x12" ottoman and a wide drawer in an old piece of furniture. So I try to keep limited supplies, designating a certain amount of space for them. If there's too much to fit, something has to go. I cut up all my 12" paper into 4x6" pieces to use in PL and card making and gave some of it away when I got sick of using the same paper for a year. If I stop using certain supplies I try to give them away to someone who will use them. I decide on what crafts to do and what supplies to buy based on how big they are! 

I did PL in 6x8" albums for the past few years - 4 Studio Calico Handbooks for 2-3 years, plus another one for 2-3 years of Dec Daily. Those fit on my bookshelf. But this year I switched to 8.5x11" album to include everything together -  Ali Edwards story stamp layouts and One Little Word and a smaller PL and any other layouts. I'm hoping one year will fit in one album. I have specific space on my bookshelf for albums and as it starts to run out I have to choose to get rid of books or to make smaller albums. 

I don't think I have solved all of my conflicts. It's always a little bit of a struggle. But I have to prioritize based on space, money, and happiness. The good thing is that if I give away all of my supplies for some craft because I don't use them, I make someone else happy, and I can buy them again if I change my mind in the future. I probably won't even buy all of the same things. I just keep the things that are most versatile (black ink pad forever!) that I can use for many crafts. And if something makes me really happy, I keep it. 

• Pepper likes this

#7 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:34 PM

I wouldn't throw anything away yet, since you're having desires to play with 12x12 again. I agree with Julie -- you might want to switch back to a 12x2 pocket album and mix some 12x12 traditional pages in with it. If you find that you're back to loving traditional scrapbooking, you can always move those traditional pages into their own albums and away from the Project Life pages if you want to. That's the beauty of D-ring albums.

• Pepper, JerseyGirlAnne, mshanhun and 1 other like this

#8 Aliwinn

Aliwinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:35 PM

I had similar thoughts as PP, I would do 12x12 PL and mix in the odd one-page layout as I felt like it......

I do the LOM type scrapbooking.  I don't do chronological scrapping.  I do scrap big events such as birthdays and Christmas but mostly scrap "stories" and I love to connect ideas/memories/stories and do a page with photos from various years.  I mix in pocket pages with my traditional pages when I have lots to write or lots of extra photos I want to include.  I will do one page with one photo and the story and then put the rest in a 6x12 pocket page......

Have you considered getting rid of a lot of your supplies and just keeping your very favourite stuff to make the odd layout with?  I know I do a lot of hybrid scrapping as well and I could scrap a layout with a bg paper, 6x6 paper pad, maybe some enamel dots and wood veneers.....I really don't need alphas/thickers, stickers, journalling cards etc...as I can make all those myself with paper and my cameo.

• JerseyGirlAnne and Julie Paradise like this

#9 SueTR

SueTR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA, USA

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:44 PM

I agree with the don't purge yet, especially since you're re-considering your approach.  I've had some of the same thoughts PL vs Traditional… paper vs. digi … I've decided that it's fluid and I can go back and forth on approaches and formats to suit whatever project I'm working on.  Noell is right, that's the beauty of D-ring albums!

• Pepper likes this

#10 JerseyGirlAnne

JerseyGirlAnne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:41 PM

I am also going to suggest that you not get rid of anything that you MIGHT use or STILL LOVE. I have been scrapbooking long enough to see trends coming back around and it makes me happy to see that. I have gotten rid of very little in all the years I have scrapbooked and still love things I bought years ago. Give it some time to figure out what you really want to do  and like others have said, you may go back and forth between  all of the forms you use. Happy Scraping in whatever form you choose!

• Pepper and MiaScraps like this

#11 Krystal K

Krystal K

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationAnchorage AK

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:36 PM

I would recommend thinking of the stories you want to tell, then make some kits from your product. You will figure out that some of your stash doesn't appeal to you or align with the stories you want to tel. You can get rid of what is left over guilt free
  • Pepper and Melissa like this

#12 Megan Liane

Megan Liane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 07:31 AM

I think the kit idea is a good one. I would also just go through your stash and keep what you think you may use and give away the rest.

As far as the album dilemma, I think a lot of us think about it. I did Project Life for a few years but will either do monthly this year or just not worry about it. I felt like I was doubling up on pics - meaning having pics in both traditional layouts and in PL which takes up space - so I have decided to stick to mostly traditional layouts. I also now make mostly 8 1/2 x 11 layouts as those albums are easier to store on traditional book shelves and have made a concious effort to add less bulk to my scrapbooks. Anyways, this is just what I did. Hopefully you will find what works for you!
  • Pepper likes this

#13 jenniferswilson

jenniferswilson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 02:00 PM

One thing to consider is creating story-focused pocket pages. This might satisfy your urge to draw connections while using the supplies you're most exciting about right now.

• Pepper, mshanhun and mrscraftyadams like this

#14 Pepper

Pepper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:32 AM

Thank you everyone for all the suggestion! 

I wouldn't throw anything away yet, since you're having desires to play with 12x12 again. I agree with Julie -- you might want to switch back to a 12x2 pocket album and mix some 12x12 traditional pages in with it. 

when you do your PL in 12x12, maybe mixed with 12x12 layouts. I could have fit a whole year in one album 

Noell and Julie - I have another space issue which is not being able to lay out my giant 12x12 album on my desk. On the other hand, 6x8 album can sits there and I will add to it every now and then. I used to do PL in 12x12 album and I filled up 2 albums in 1 year. However I realise most of them have photos and no stories. But for 6x8 , i can add journaling cards and ephemera anytime. I also enjoy looking through my 6x8 albums more than the 12x12. those big PL albums from 2 years ago, I almost never open it again. It' s probably just another personal preference. - and that brings me to jennifer's comment

One thing to consider is creating story-focused pocket pages. This might satisfy your urge to draw connections while using the supplies you're most exciting about right now.

I really think this is a great idea! I always wanted to extend this idea to my daily PL pocket pages - I.e. scrap when there are little stories to tell . But I always have the urge to include ALLLL my food photos, coffee photos, and pretty photos throughout the days which have no specific stories. That's why my album got so thick. SInce I'm only doing PL, I wouldnt bare to NOT PRINT those pretty photos :P

That said, I dod want to do those "connection" pages using pocket pages - which will really simplify things :)

Facebook || Youtube

#15 Pepper

Pepper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:36 AM

I'm still a paper gal, so hybrid is as far as i can go  :) 

That was my first thought too... go digital and print photobooks! LOL

I'm printing photosbooks now ! For those pretty photos from one event that do not specifically have stories :) otherwise, i'm still for the pretty paper hehe

I would recommend thinking of the stories you want to tell, then make some kits from your product. You will figure out that some of your stash doesn't appeal to you or align with the stories you want to tel. You can get rid of what is left over guilt free

I THINK THIS IS EXCELLENT ! I shall try this out :)

Thank you everyone for the comments, please keep the suggestions coming, i really do love to hear more from you :)

Facebook || Youtube

#16 geordie281

geordie281

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationAdelaide South Australia

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:39 PM

I think by and large doing PL in 6x8 only works for people who don't want to do as 'much' PL as the 12x12 people, with the idea that you might only have a very few pictures a week, or just add things occasionally rather than being committed to the weekly 2 page spread. If you want to do a weekly spread and you can't cull your photos then you probably need to return to 12x12. I manage to get the whole year in one album because I am disciplined about not adding in extra pages for special events etc., although it was interesting to see that the first year I did it with only a Becky Higgins core kit the year fitted easily in one album, whereas when I started using the Studio Calico kits and getting a bit 'creative' with my pages, by adding layers to cards then one year didn't want to fit in one album. The SC cards are a beautiful quality but they are a lot thicker than the Becky Higgins ones, and over the course of a whole year that adds a lot of bulk.

I love the look and feel of the 6x8 but over time they will take up a lot more space in your home if you are doing 6 a year compared to one 12x12.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: project life, mini album, scrapbook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users