#1 Inkfanatic

Inkfanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:11 PM

So, I had totally given up on getting anything done for 2014 as far as a PL album goes. Naturally, I was full of good intentions, to 'at some point' print some pictures and get it done. 

But my reality became, that it never got done. So, I let it go. I didn't worry about it. I have some stuff documented, and pictures printed for other stuff to do small mini albums with. And that's on my list of goals to accomplish for this year (there is another thread for that :D, and I've already gotten a few smaller things crossed off that list)!

But today, I just got inspired. I have no idea what hit me...but I just took a half hour, printed some pictures from January 2014, and put them in an album, put cards in the pockets, and now I'm motivated to take it a month at a time, and get the year done. 

I did weekly in 2013, and it was great, but a LOT LOT LOT of work! I guess that's why I lost steam for last year. 

And I plan to do this year in a monthly format. But I had just decided to let 2014 go. No worries. It's not like I lost a year, it just isn't all in one pretty album, lol.

And I guess I felt bad about it. I have all this stuff, and I really wanted to do it afterall. I just never made it a priority to get started. So is this crazy?? LOL. I'm starting my 2014 album in 2015, and now my goal is to do one month a week, if that makes sense. (It might go faster, we'll see how much time I can devote to it). But at the least, even if it takes me three months to do, I'll have it done to reflect on, and I think that will make me happy:)

Have any of you done this?

• Noell, Erica Hettwer, Julie Paradise and 1 other like this

Robin

#2 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:02 AM

Not with PL, but I scrap chronologically and I'm tend to scrap a year behind, so I'm just starting 2014 now!

• Inkfanatic and StephRaeK like this

Wendyzine Scraps

Studio Wendy @ Scrapbookgraphics  •  Photoshop & Elements Instructor

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#3 Inkfanatic

Inkfanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:05 AM

At least I know I'm not alone Wendyzine! THANKS :D

Robin

#4 StephRaeK

StephRaeK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:21 PM

Not alone at all...   I lost interest in April of 2014 with PL.   But now, it's sitting there mocking me, and so I'm going to work on it this weekend, and hopefully by the end of February I can be done with it.   I'm also doing a monthly format.   Like Wendyzine, I scrap chronologically (or try to most of the time, everything is put in albums in order) - and I'm usually about a year behind.

Stephanie

#5 Tiffany W

Tiffany W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:11 PM

I can't let 2014 go even though I have most of it documented. Those holes keep shouting at me.

#6 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:23 PM

Missing holes drive me crazy, too, so you're not alone. One spread a week is doable! It's easy to bite off small chunks to get it finished.
  • anandi likes this

#7 Inkfanatic

Inkfanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:52 AM

Totally agree that doing it in smaller chunks is the way to go!

Robin

#8 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, CANADA

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:08 AM

I am all over the map on this one. I have never gotten organized enough to scrap years chronologically and my pictures yet to be scrapped go way back so the thought of it is overwhelming. Instead I tend to scrapbook by theme. We have taken quite a few cruises, for example, so I went back and grabbed the ones that weren't done and worked on those until they were done. We also camp and fish a lot so I am working my way through those photos constantly. I find that way I can keep my paper and embellishments organized by theme as well and it's easy to grab what I need quickly when I'm ready to work on them. I'm not sure I will ever be fully caught up but I came to peace with that a while ago. Now, instead of thinking "ugh, I'll never get it all done" I think of it "like a painter with a never ending supply of fresh canvas to work on".
Everyone needs to figure our what works best for their situation, but it's great to read everyone's input and get new ideas. That's why I love these forums!
  • Julie Paradise likes this

#9 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, CANADA

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:11 AM

Sorry, I just realized this is more about PL than regular scrapbooking so my ideas may not apply.

#10 Inkfanatic

Inkfanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:58 AM

Sure they do! I pretty much use your same process for my backlog of yearrrrrs of photos I have every intention of doing something with 😃. But for a whole year of PL, I thought maybe I was a little off my rocker to start to put it together now, a whole year later! I'm just glad to see I'm not the only one on the porch 😉

Robin

#11 Erica Hettwer

Erica Hettwer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCanby, OR

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:41 PM

I haven't done this but I'm planning on doing it for previous years. I figure it will get those pictures printed and in an album and it will make me happy!

#12 Inkfanatic

Inkfanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:08 PM

It has already made me happy just to see even a little bit (Jan) done! I am totally making a plan (in my head) to go back and do a lot of trips & stuff PL style! Sooooo fun & quick!
Deeply satisfying to have our memories out in books where I'm much more likely to take time and enjoy reminiscing, than on a computer.
It was a little funny to me to have 2014 & 2015 PL albums out on my desk today 😆

Robin

#13 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:38 PM

Sounds awesome. Good luck!!!

#14 storyangel

storyangel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:15 PM

I was also well intentioned in 2014 but it didn't translate into much action. I did January and part of February, then in April had a baby and didn't do any more. I do PL monthly, and in December I started gathering photos for my spreads. I decided a batch processing approach would work best for me. I got all the photos printed for the remainder of the year, and right now they're in my album, in the right place by month but I may move them around within that month. Where I have two 3x4s on a 4x6 I still have to cut them up. Some months have a couple of spreads. I know this is going to be a slow process for me but I'm taking it step by step, fitting in a little as and when I can. I know eventually I'll be proud of myself about the outcome, and in the meantime I'll enjoy the journey!

I think your approach sounds very manageable and realistic, which I think is very important. Enjoy it!
  • Inkfanatic, janygb143 and Erica Hettwer like this

#15 craftingmystories

craftingmystories

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:50 PM

Good to hear I'm not the only one and that there's hope for me! Last year was the first year I tried a project life style album. It's stalled as well. I found the process of printing photos was my stumbling block. I like to order them every few months and lately it's been more like once a year. But I did like making random cards of some of the fleeting slang/songs/etc. that the boys say and do. 

I'm letting go of the idea of a schedule for my PL pages. They'll simply be the random everyday things that don't make it onto big layouts. 

• Erica Hettwer likes this

Lydia

#16 lynner

lynner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:06 AM

I didn't even start my 2014 PL until November, and now I just have a few things left for October & November to finish (we took a big Disney vacation in October so that's what has slowed me down :)). I have always done PL monthly, and I took a class at BPC with Megan Anderson and a couple of other instructors called "Catch Up with PL" and it was excellent. The first thing we did in this class is "assess the gaps" and it opened my eyes to where my roadblocks were to complete my months and pages. It gave me kind of a fresh perspective on the whole process - for example, I've relaxed my "rules" and am using a variety of page protector styles and sizes, mixing sizes (my OCD didn't allow me to do this before), and just simply getting the things in the pockets without stressing about everything matching properly. I've also used Noell's trick of creating my own PL cards using left-over bits from kits and washi. I am really, really happy with the outcome, and was able to do my December daily IN DECEMBER! and start 2015 in January (and finish January IN THE FIRST WEEK OF FEBRUARY). This is just unheard of for me, and it feels great!

• anandi likes this

#17 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:25 PM

I'm also catching up on 2014. I finished 2013 in July 2014 :) I love PL both because it was my introduction to scrapbooking back in 2012 but also because it's a more fun way to get all of our photos into a book with our memories. I was thinking of making photobooks each year, but I don't find it as much fun, possibly because I sit in front of a computer all day for work.

But PL satisfies my crafty need plus it is super fun for people to look at. My girls (2 and 5) LOVE looking through our albums and I've left one on our kitchen bar counter (away from food, etc) and I "catch" hubby looking through it often.

So even if I'm not caught up, I'm motivated to finish each one. I do a month at a time, and that seems to work best. Weekly was WAY too much and I have a personal rule about keeping each year in one album only.

So tomorrow I'll finish August 2014 and move on to September ;)  I'm also going to tackle Jan 2015 at the same time so I don't get too far behind - maybe alternate a 2014 month with the current one or something?

• janygb143 and Julie Paradise like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users