17 replies to this topic

#1 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:43 AM

I guess this could be a "general Scrapbooking" topic, but I wanted to see how it differs in digital! What's your process for building a digital page? (Has this been covered before?)

Here's mine:
-start with the story and/or photos. Lay them out on a 8.5x11 canvas first. If I need more breathing room, increase to 12x12. Try to get a basic design in place, settle on a font/title placement
- go looking in Picasa for supplies. This takes me FOREVER! I have a ton of freebies but very few full kits, so I have to hunt around for coordinating (not matching) things. (Any tips appreciated)
- drag in papers first, then embellishments
- take a break (super critical!)
- come back and take a look. It might be hours, days, or months later. If I'm happy with it, I add drop shadows, save it, and drag the page+folder to a "Finished" folder.

What about you?

#2 allerliebsteanika

allerliebsteanika

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:36 AM

When scrapping digital I mostly use templates. Then I:

- choose a template

- choose a picture or more, (edit it if needed) and add it to the template

- choose paper (in picasa) and add them and add shadows

- choose emb (also in picasa) and add those, maybe change some papers too, also with shadows

- maybe editing the photo again to make it fit better to the page

- add my journaling

- save & save on external backup

I thought about changing to lightroom, but my picasa is so well sorted... I'm not sure I want to change...

• janygb143 likes this

#3 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:27 AM

I thought about changing to lightroom, but my picasa is so well sorted... I'm not sure I want to change...

Nice! Interesting that your journaling is last. Do you have an idea of what you want to say so you leave enough room for it?

How do you sort things in Picasa? (Maybe that should be another topic, lol)

#4 allerliebsteanika

allerliebsteanika

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 02:43 AM

I might add Lorem ipsum text, so I know where to add my journaling later on. It mostly fits in this space without any problems, but I'm not writing long stories on pages.

Uhm. that's not so easy to explain ^^ I thought about how I am grouping elements/paper in my head and how I would search for them. For example: Do I search for a RED element, no matter what element it is? Not really... it might be that I'm looking for a specific color BUT mostly I know if it should be: flat, 3D, a flower, a real element, background noise, handdrawn, ... once I figured that out I added "albums" to picasa with this categories (and I change them when ever I feel they don't fit anymore). I might also add tags to elements if I want to specify it more. I mostly use the albums though.

I only keep the items I LOVE in picasa, I throw everything else out of picasa. It is still on my harddrive, so I don't delete anything, but it is not "in my way" when I am searching for "the perfect element" ;) For me that was the biggest improvement. I hate deleting, but as long as I know it is still on my harddrive, I'm fine.

• janygb143 likes this

#5 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:14 AM

I've been creating my photo collages in Lightroom and then embellishing in Photoshop, so my workflow is a little different.

1) I go through my photos one story/event/date at a time. I drag the pix I want to use to a temporary collection. Then I go to the print module and drag and drop my photos into a collage layout. I save it out as a JPG, saved by date_title_templatename.jpg. I'll do a bunch of these in one sitting.

2) I open the JPG in Photoshop, open the matching overlay for clipping and drop shadow. This gets rid of the white background. I save as a layered TIF.

3) I search for kits I want to use. They are usually on my EHD, even my most recent kits are pulled off my computer because I don't have much hard drive space. So I'll copy back the kit to go with the layout and put them in a folder. I'll do a bunch of these at a time. When I download my kits, I assign the preview image to the folder icon, so I can browse through the kits easily. Sometimes I will search on topic or will have a specific kit in mind and I can just search on those by keywords.

4) When I'm ready to scrap, I'll open a prepped collage, and drag and drop my papers and elements into the layout.

5) I add a title with Anna Forrest's Title Builder. Love me some coordinating alphas!

6) Add journaling.

7) Here I pause and take a critical eye for photobook printing. I make any adjustments i need to make now so I don't have to resize later. Usually that means selecting everything except the background paper and reducing it to about 95%.

8) Save file as TIF, JPG and 600px JPG.

• allerliebsteanika and janygb143 like this

Wendyzine Scraps

Studio Wendy @ Scrapbookgraphics  •  Photoshop & Elements Instructor

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#6 LeeAndra

LeeAndra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:13 PM

(01) I'm usually doing a CT layout which means I have a kit or template that I need to use, so my first step is finding photos. I don't post-process or place the photos yet, though.

(02) I then start to build my page by placing elements on a blank canvas. The only time I do papers first is if I'm using a template with shapes, like hexagons or triangles, in the background and I want to make sure I have a good mix of patterns and solids.

(03) When I have a good base of elements, I then post-process my photo(s) and place it/them on the canvas.

(04) I will add any additional elements after seeing how everything looks on the page.

(05) I place papers (usually just a background paper that is either kraft or white or a light solid) next.

(06) I don't always have a title, but I do usually have journaling. That goes last now that the page is complete and I know what direction I ended up taking with the photos/kit.

(07) I save my canvas (although I do a couple times during the creating process, too) as a TIFF file and save it to my Pictures folder.

(08) I save my page as a JPG and place it in my 'Pages' folder on my HD.

(09) I flatten and sharpen my page, change it to 72 DPI and 700 px, and Save for Web. I add '-sm' to the filename and save it to my Picture folders.

I think that's it! :)

• janygb143 likes this

the one and only L.A.

all digi, all the time

#7 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:20 PM

Uhm. that's not so easy to explain ^^ I thought about how I am grouping elements/paper in my head and how I would search for them. For example: Do I search for a RED element, no matter what element it is? Not really... it might be that I'm looking for a specific color BUT mostly I know if it should be: flat, 3D, a flower, a real element, background noise, handdrawn, ... once I figured that out I added "albums" to picasa with this categories (and I change them when ever I feel they don't fit anymore). I might also add tags to elements if I want to specify it more. I mostly use the albums though.

I only keep the items I LOVE in picasa, I throw everything else out of picasa. It is still on my harddrive, so I don't delete anything, but it is not "in my way" when I am searching for "the perfect element" ;) For me that was the biggest improvement. I hate deleting, but as long as I know it is still on my harddrive, I'm fine.

Do you hand-sort the embellishments into categories? I'm working on creating "smart searches" for elements (searching for png files) and papers (3600px items) and it seems to be helping!! Do you import it all, then delete? I have LOTS of stuff that I don't LOVE that I need to purge. Just takes so much energy :(

#8 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:23 PM

Wendy, that LR Print Module thing is wild!! I'll have to try that sometime!! Love seeing how your process is so different.

#9 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:31 PM

LeeAndra, so cool that you do elements first! I'll have to try that, a new jumping off point. That reminds me, though, how do you all save your pages? My folder structure looks like this:
>Scrap Pages
>>Folder for each individual page

When I decide a page is "done", I drag the whole folder to a Finished folder. I let them sit there until the end of the year, when i use Mac's Automator to save 100% JPEGs, import copies of those to LR, then move all the folders to a "2014" folder. It's a little tedious, but it's been working so far.

#10 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:29 AM

1) make 12x12

2) add journalling

3) select photos

4) find bg paper (or sometimes a template)

5) use the rest of that kit to embellish

6) add a title

7) use Speedscraps File Save action

8) upload to flickr

I shadow as I go :)

• janygb143 likes this

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#11 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:52 AM

Wendy, that LR Print Module thing is wild!! I'll have to try that sometime!! Love seeing how your process is so different.

Thanks. I am soooo loving it! It lets me assemble the photos so quickly and then I can spend what little time I have doing the fun embellishing stuff! Check out The Daily Digi post I put together for more info on scrapping with Lightroom. It's not for everyone, but it's totally working for me!

https://thedailydigi...htroom-round-up

• janygb143 likes this

Wendyzine Scraps

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#12 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:55 AM

LeeAndra, so cool that you do elements first! I'll have to try that, a new jumping off point. That reminds me, though, how do you all save your pages? My folder structure looks like this:
>Scrap Pages
>>Folder for each individual page

I have a work in progress folder where I have one folder per layout. When that layout is done, I move the layered TIF, JPG and 600px JPG to my yearly folder. My layouts are all saved by date-title. Then, when I'm ready to create my photobooks, I can just grab all the JPGs, sort by date and get them uploaded for printing.

Wendyzine Scraps

My Gallery

#13 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:29 PM

I have a work in progress folder where I have one folder per layout. When that layout is done, I move the layered TIF, JPG and 600px JPG to my yearly folder. My layouts are all saved by date-title. Then, when I'm ready to create my photobooks, I can just grab all the JPGs, sort by date and get them uploaded for printing.

That's similar to what I do, I think. What's the advantage of TIF over PSD?

#14 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:31 PM

Smaller file size. Use LZW Image Compression and ZIP Layer Compression. The disadvantage is that only Photoshop will recognize the layers. Other programs will open it flattened. But as long as you use PSCC/CS/PSE, it won't matter.

• janygb143 and mshanhun like this

Wendyzine Scraps

My Gallery

#15 LeeAndra

LeeAndra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:46 PM

D'oh! I forgot abt shadowing. I usually do that as I go along, but sometimes I get a wild hair and save it for after my papers, but before my journaling. :)

I have all my layouts saved in folders by month and year. When I'm done scrapping a year (generally 12-18 months after that year is over), I go through and number them so that they are all in chronological order and ready to be printed.

• janygb143 likes this

the one and only L.A.

all digi, all the time

#16 Janet White

Janet White

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationWapiti, WY

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:58 PM

I have a few different starting points, but generally, I start with telling the story. In 2013 and 2014, I didn't feel I had fully told the stories of those years. Still going back with a few, but mostly, I'm just jumping in where I am.

I mostly write on my iPad, in the Index Cards app - and then send it along to dropbox where it sits until I open up my 2015 InDesign file. I'll copy and paste it in and jump in on editing - and then finally I look for a photo or two to illustrate the story. At times I'll create a photo to accompany it, but often I have something that will work.

At other times, I start with a photo that might only need words on top or a sentence or two to tell the story. Generally, I keep up with picking favorite photos and processing them, so I have a folder of ones I like that need adding to my photo book file.

Have to say I'm loving the relaxed method - basically I try to 'do something' a few times a week. Ten minutes here and 30 there is adding up to more done than in the past. Loving that.
  • janygb143 likes this

#17 Ladydoc

Ladydoc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:21 AM

It does vary but usually involves thinking of a story and finding a template and kit to start my design. Sometimes the photo goes in right off, sometimes it is last. I usually have a good idea of what photo I have or that I plan to take. I add the title and journaling towards the end of the page but sometimes it's first. I've saved shadowing to the end but am considering an add it as I go approach.
  • janygb143 likes this

logoDSG_zpse15254bd.jpg

#18 Tiff

Tiff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationBay Area California

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:49 AM

Page layout is not my cup of tea, so I'm a template user.

1. I start with my photos - some collection of 1-10 photos that I want to scrap. (There are often more than will actually go on the page, but I will make the final cut in the next step)

2. I search for a template that I like and has the proper number of photo spots. After I've picked the template, I decide which photos from my collection to use. I find that using a template is a great tool to help you pick which photos to include. I process the photos, and place them in the template.

3. Add in papers.

4. Add in elements.

5. Journal. I find I always journal toward the end because I need to see how much space there is, how it will fit around everything else. Plus, as I've been putting things together, I'm also mulling over what I want to say.

6. Then I fiddle with papers and elements and decide if I want a true title.

• janygb143 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users