21 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 418 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:39 AM

When I refer to "memory keeping with video", this is the kind of thing I mean (2 minute video):

It's fun to use the tools and techniques of video journalism to tell little stories about your family and life.

And you can do this with nearly any camera (including the video camera built into your phone).

• allerliebsteanika, janygb143, ronaba and 4 others like this

Do you have a suggestion or feedback about the Paperclipping Forums? Please let me know!

Instagram | User Guidelines

#2 MiaScraps

MiaScraps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:33 AM

Lol. I watched a few of those memory keeping videos today. So much fun to look back at them. Big smiles and almost some tears of joy. I don't know how to edit and don't want to learn so I watch patiently. I'm waiting for the Harry potter technology so I can embed these onto my layouts!

WTG Aidan! He's got a sharp mind!
  • Izzy, janygb143 and anandi like this

#3 Maplestock

Maplestock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, CANADA

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:55 PM

I enjoyed this glimpse into your family, thanks Izzy.  Well done Aidan!  I am old enough to remember the Rubik's cube when it first came out but I was probably one of those that peeled the colours off the squares in frustration and reapplied them to get it completed.  Your family will appreciate all the videos you are making and the scrapbooks Noell does - they are very lucky to have parents that care so much! And we appreciate you sharing with us so we can try to do that for our own families!

• Izzy, janygb143 and Julie Paradise like this

#4 Izzy

Izzy

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 418 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:53 AM

Thanks for the kind words. :)

And I should mention I make these videos about my family for a selfish reason: I really enjoy them.

Yes, I think they'll enjoy watching them later, but that's not the real reason I make them, haha.

• Noell, janygb143 and mshanhun like this

Do you have a suggestion or feedback about the Paperclipping Forums? Please let me know!

#5 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:54 PM

OMG!! Less than 2 minutes to solve it? That's awesome!! Such a great story and entertaining, storytelling video. Thanks for sharing!! 

Side question: I just finished our annual movie/slideshow in iMovie and it's 18min long. I usually upload to Vimeo to share with family (500MB limit for free accounts), but the "Large" version is too big (540MB) and the "Medium" version exports blurry/pixellated (219MB). Any suggestions? Thanks :) 

#6 Izzy

Izzy

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 418 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:54 AM

Yes, a couple things that might help:

* iMovie's export settings are pretty limited. You might want to try exporting a master video from iMovie and then use a different app to transcode the video for upload to Vimeo.

* Give Handbrake a try for transcoding. It's kind of complex, but you get a lot more control over the resulting file size.

Good luck!

• janygb143 and mshanhun like this

#7 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:51 PM

Thank you thank you thank you! It worked!! Saved me lots of frustrating trial-and-error exporting :) 

btw, finally wandered over to IzzyVideo to check out the iMovie Tutorial (probably should have done that months ago…). It's great so far! I followed the tutorial for exporting the Master version. The Apple Intermediate Codec version automatically makes the Quality "Medium". Is that typical? 

#8 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:06 PM

That is such a great video! Maybe my next project will be learning video editing.

My son (14) recently got into the Rubik's Cube, too. I'm so tired of hearing that clicking sound everywhere he goes! He says Aidan should get a Shengshou Wind cube for his first speed cube :)

#9 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:26 AM

Love it! It's just like scrapbooking. Nice to have and fun to make right?

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#10 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:27 AM

He looks like he's about to cry when he didn't beat the record :(

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#11 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:46 AM

Really fun. I love the documentary style and what a fun way to keep those memories! I thought so too, Melissa. He looked really disappointed!

Wendyzine Scraps

Studio Wendy @ Scrapbookgraphics  •  Photoshop & Elements Instructor

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#12 Izzy

Izzy

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 418 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:21 AM

Aiden is a perfectionist, so yes he was likely about to cry when he didn't beat his record.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! :)

I've decided to give an official name to this kind of video: Small Stories. And I posted a whole Small Stories Manifesto here.

• anandi likes this

#13 MaryM

MaryM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:22 PM

Izzy, that video is so awesome!  I bet Aiden would also love a Perplexus maze ball - you should check them out on Amazon.  

Mary Moseley, Certified Photo Organizer and Teacher

mary@bephotowise.com

Be PhotoWise www.bephotowise.com | Founding member of the Save Your Photos Day Allicance

Guest on The Digi Show episode 110 talking about scanning your photos

#14 Izzy

Izzy

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 418 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:28 PM

@MaryM, very kind of you to say. Thanks! :)

And yes, we have the maze balls too, haha.

#15 Teresa S

Teresa S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:05 AM

Fantastic video.  How long would you say the overall process took you to make it?  

I had one of those darn things when they first came out.  I could only get one side done....  until I took a screwdriver, popped all the cubes off and snapped them back on correctly!  Hey, where there's a will, there's a way!

#16 Izzy

Izzy

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 418 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:12 AM

Thanks. The video only took a couple hours to make. Maybe an hour of shooting video and an hour of editing. :)

#17 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:31 AM

I love this, and I love your "small stories manifesto" post, Izzy!  I need to figure out if Windows Movie Maker will let me do a voiceover - I just can't justify new software yet :)

#18 allerliebsteanika

allerliebsteanika

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 12:44 PM

Is there any class for this kind of memory keeping? I would LOVE to learn more about it!!

#19 Izzy

Izzy

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 418 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 06 July 2016 - 01:24 PM

I've been toying with the idea for a while, but I haven't created a course yet. I have ideas, so maybe now it's time to buckle down and create one. :)

• allerliebsteanika likes this

#20 allerliebsteanika

allerliebsteanika

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:08 AM

yes it is!! that would be great, Izzy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users