#1 Robin Sparkles

Robin Sparkles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationManito, IL

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:53 PM

I'm all for keeping my PL real. I put in the good and the bad.

This is all wandering around in my head so stay with me here...

I've been thinking over the past week or so how I never add in news events in my PL books. I go back and forth on this issue since most of the news out there is pretty bad. I wanted to document the ebola outbreak and how it came to US soil for the first time ever. But I didn't. Same with the other recent news events (terrorism in Europe). In 5-10-15 years from now when I go back to look at these books I'd like to see what was happening news-wise at the same time as learn what we were doing as a family. Does this make sense?

My other thought it that maybe I can just keep a running journal of what's going on and add them in their own separate thing. I started doing digital PL this year so this would be pretty easy and I wouldn't necesarily have to print these out...or I can and just tuck them behind my regular PL pages.

As of now the only time I add news items is things like, say, the Oscars, Olympics, etc. I also do a top 10 stories nationaly as a journaling card on the last page of my book for the year. I'd do the same for local news but our newspaper does that. I just throw that section in a 12x12 page protector and call it good.

So, do you or how do you incorporate these events in your story?

• Julie Paradise likes this

#2 mrscraftyadams

mrscraftyadams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationBristol, Tennessee

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:12 PM

I don't usually incorporate these news items unless it impacts me directly... but if you do PL monthly, maybe you could dedicate a 3x4 or 4x6 card to newsworthy events? Even just a bulleted list would jog your memory when you look back on it!

• needtime2scrap likes this

#3 Inkfanatic

Inkfanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:13 AM

I would treat it like anything else you like to include that is a sign of the time, and to see the change in. Like, I don't usually include newsy stuff, but I do a snap of gas prices, or grocery receipts, or anything along that line that documents current stuff, without dominating the page. Probably a headline list, or bulleted list of events on a journal card would work for me. Then just include articles for events that are particularly of interest to you.

Robin

#4 RealeLife

RealeLife

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 11:49 AM

Unless something major happens (and boy has it been here lately... sad times, people), I add a 3x4 card in the last spread of each month with a quick list of headlines or a brief summary of one event. If it's truly major, either to the world at large or to my local area or family, then I will scan in a newspaper clipping or print out an online news article to include as an insert, but that doesn't happen more than about once a year.

• janygb143 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users