7 replies to this topic

#1 pattipanda

pattipanda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:27 AM

Hello,

I am new to PL and am working on my January 2015 layout,  I am having some issues and hoping I am not over embellishing my lo.  I used Design "A" for the first page and Design "P" (all 4 x 4)  for the second page.  My pages don't look like they are one layout they look like 2 separate lo.  What I am looking for is some tips of how to unify my overall 2 page lo so they look like they belong together and any other tips for embellishing.

• janygb143 likes this

#2 Bookworm

Bookworm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:45 AM

One thing that seems to help is having either a unifying color scheme for the whole spread, or using an accent color that draws your eye from one page to the next. Using similar embellishments throughout the spread is helpful -- perhaps a particular roll of washi tape used multiple times, or multiples of the same shape, like enamel dots or wood veneer or die cuts.

[I don't know if you're a Paperclipping member or not, but Noell has some Project Life videos in the membership library that could be helpful.]

• Noell, janygb143 and mrscraftyadams like this

#3 pattipanda

pattipanda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:58 AM

Thanks Bookworm,

I was just watching Noel's videos and have gain some ideas.   the one thing my lo is missing is the same colour on both sides.   I will have to go back and fix it up.  Do you have any favourite embellishment ideas or products that you group together?

#4 josieb

josieb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:33 PM

I agree with watching the Paperclipping videos where Noel talks about Project Life, but I also find myself using her flexible templates in Project Life all the time - so make sure those videos are at the top of your list too.  :)

When I first started scrapbooking, I only did Project Life and I way over-embellished.  It's a little scary looking back on those layouts from only 2 years ago and seeing how much stuff I put in those pockets. :lol:  So, I've been there, and I know how you might be feeling!

My first bit of advice would be to look at the color of your photographs and use that to help you decide what colors to use in your layout.  In this layout, I knew I would be using photographs of a bright yellow soup I had made and my boyfriend's office kitchen which is a bright green/yellow.  So I decided to use cards with bright yellowish accents and then white and black/grey cards as to not compete visually with the bright pops of color. Secondly, keep it simple and don't put an embellishment on every card or on every photo.  Leave some filler cards, where you might have only one embellishment or image or a few words (like I did with the heart card with the number 2 and the yellow card with the heart).   When it came to assembling the page, I tried to place the bright accents in a visual triangle (something Noel talks lots about in her videos - loooove the visual triangle, use it ALL the time) across the two pages.  I also always layout my pages side by side and think of it as one whole rather than two parts.

I am by no means a design expert, but that's just some of what I've learned as I've tried to embellish less/more smartly and have more cohesive Project Life layouts. 

#5 triplettkarla

triplettkarla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:49 AM

I love Noel's videos and Shimelle is making great video's going through a week at a time card at a time really helpful how to embellish I love making my own embellishments so both are really fun and inspiring.

#6 Julie Paradise

Julie Paradise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:03 AM

I decided to not embellish my PL that much anymore.

(This would also be a solution for those who struggle with their PL ;-)

I am fine having a few label stickers and my 3 roller stamps (dates, phrases, from October Afternoon) on hand plus dark grey distress ink (I like the softer look of the muted stamped images), 1 trusty black pen and maybe glossy accents if there is sth. on a card (butterfly! script, little dots) that I like to accentuate makes it a lot easier for me. 

Also printing all images as 4x4 (many in black&white) -- I use page protectors with 3 4x4" pockets on top and bottom and 4 3x4" in the middle -- makes it easy, as there is no need to glue smaller fotos on 4x6 cards or sth. like that.

For the cards I will only pull from one set/core kit, so the cards should easily coordinate. 

All of this makes my pages really flat so a whole year fits in one album again. Yay!

• Laura and janygb143 like this

#7 BethQuiroz

BethQuiroz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 10 August 2015 - 12:32 PM

I look for common colors in my photos and then select journal and filler cards to coordinate. I try to make sure I have a balance of colors across both pages. For example, if I use a bright yellow card one one side, I try to include some bright yellow somewhere on the other page (either a card, photo, or embellishment). 

Using a kit can help things look cohesive. Use journal & filler cards from the same kit (either one of Becky Higgins' kits or a club kit). 

Hope this helps! :)

• janygb143 and Melissa like this

My blog: bethsblatherings.blogspot.com

Instagram:  http://instagram.com/divinemsq

Guest on PRT Episode #205: Cheesy At Heart

VENI VIDI VELCRO - I came, I saw, I stuck around

#8 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:49 PM

I do the color thing, too. I do monthly spreads. Regardless of the colors in my photos, the PL cards I pick are all the same shade for each month (usually from two or three different kits). This year I used a Doodlebug Designs sticker sheet of month labels to determine what color goes for each month (so bright and happy!!!), but in the past I just arbitrarily decided on the colors I felt like using.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pl, embellishments

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users