Photo

Are you a non-standard project life scrappers?!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 tortagialla

tortagialla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:38 AM

Hi everyone!

I'm just getting back into scrapbooking after a long hiatus and toying with the idea of project life for the little stories and everyday things. however, I know I can't commit to anything daily... not even sure if I can commit to anything "regular"

I know we can all use project life however we want to... so was wondering what are the other ways people scrap using the project life system... sort of non-standard... if that is a definition...

Just want to know what else folks do! Maybe I can find some hybrid system that will work for me.

Thanks in advance!

linda

#2 Julie Paradise

Julie Paradise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:24 PM

I would consider it to be non-standard to use

1) either a cut apart 12x12 sheet as the base of my PL spreads instead of just putting fotos and cards into pockets, or

2) use the same cards (there ary always several of each design in a core kit) multiple times to prevent my spreads from being too wild.

• anandi likes this

#3 Tiffany W

Tiffany W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:58 PM

I did Project Life for the first time this year and I have to say that in the end, it was more draining and more work for me than just doing my normal form of chronological Scrapbooking. And I was keeping it simple with just pictures and cards. I am going to give PL a go one more time but I am using the app this time and making a photobook at the end. My life has taken a turn for more work and less time, so I am also using Chatbooks which print pics from my Instagram as a way of keeping a record of more everyday moments.
  • janygb143 and anandi like this

#4 tortagialla

tortagialla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:56 PM

I like of using PL cards in layouts and sort of mimicking the PL grid, even if we don't use pockets, cool!

And I was afraid that PL might be too time consuming, especially for someone new who doesn't have the routine down yet. I am really trying to think of parameters or something that will help keep it simple...

Also thinking about how it can be combined with a paper planner, because I love paper planners, but if it's just my regular schedule, it's sort of boring at the end of the year and not really something I would want to keep forever year after year. But if there was memory keeping in it, would change the whole idea... 

I guess that is why memory planners are so popular now?!

#5 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:29 AM

We tried out a smaller PL album for a vacation/travel album for the kids and it worked great. It's not a daily project, and it's motivating to work on in short-term chunks after a memorable trip.

• Melissa and dayb like this

Wendyzine Scraps

Studio Wendy @ Scrapbookgraphics  •  Photoshop & Elements Instructor

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#6 tortagialla

tortagialla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:11 PM

thanks for your input wendyzine - sort of like a minibook!

#7 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 05:17 PM

Yes, and you can get smaller themed packs of cards now too so that can help with smaller non-traditional projects.

Wendyzine Scraps

Studio Wendy @ Scrapbookgraphics  •  Photoshop & Elements Instructor

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#8 tortagialla

tortagialla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:43 AM

thanks for the ideas!

#9 hannaly

hannaly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:35 PM

I am experimenting with pocket page scrapping myself right now.  I'm using it for a themed scrapbook, rather than something chronological.  I do cake decorating as well as paper crafts, and friends always ask to see pictures of my cakes.  I decided to make a scrapbook rather than keep sitting them down at my computer.  My pictures often have been taken by other people so they are all kinds of sizes and quality.  I use photoshop elements to crop photos, and I want to crop them so they are what I consider to be good pictures rather than just cropping to the size of the pocket on the page protector.  So I sometimes mount photos to cards when the photo is too small for a pocket, or I cut it up across pockets when it is too large. Sometimes I mount it outside the page protector when it has no relationship to the size of the pocket.  I'm thinking that I'm also going to intersperse non-pocket pages with a more traditional layout style made with pocket cards, if that makes any sense.  In general, since I've been scrapping for so many years, I have a kind of a "voice" or a style that I'm trying to translate into pocket scrapbooking.  It's not a simple transition, by any means, but the system does have a certain appeal to me.

• Maribethm likes this

#10 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 01 March 2015 - 10:25 PM

It took me a while to find the time interval that made sense for me. I did it weekly for most of the first year, until I had a baby and then I switched to biweekly. Which was nice, but even that got to  be "too much" that second year, so I switched again to doing it monthly and taking however many pages I needed for the photos I wanted to include. I lose some of the "everyday" little stuff, but I'm ok with that, and am really enjoying the process (which is what counts for me!), and the family loves the output no matter what time interval I choose :)

I also use all sorts of product - 12x12 or 6x6 papers, cards from kit clubs, core kits, all mixed up, depending on what I feel like doing :)

• janygb143, Melissa, Maribethm and 1 other like this

#11 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:07 AM

I'm doing a sort of PL this year with Heidi Swapp's memory planner from 2013, the spiral-bound one. It has photo sleeves for each month. I fill out the calendar and to-do lists after the fact, so that they reflect what we did, and slot the photos in, sometimes adding a label with a brief caption. Two months in it feels like it's working. I wish it was ring-bound so I could add more photo sleeves or other stuff if I wanted, so I'll likely go that route next year. Shouldn't be hard with all the planner stuff! Although I like that Heidi seems to approach her planners with the same mindset as me - that we are using it not to organize or plan, but to capture memories.

• anandi and Julie Paradise like this

#12 Janet White

Janet White

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationWapiti, WY

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:39 PM

I use a smaller system for my Phenology Field Journal - a nature journal really. I cut up 12x12 pocket page and also use printed copy paper pages for small observations. It's divided up into weeks and also with species accounts (a section just for more in-depth obervations of a particular animal or plant). I recently shared on my field journaling blog an example of species account for the local mountain lion(s) around here.
  • MiaScraps and anandi like this

#13 Erica Hettwer

Erica Hettwer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCanby, OR

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:00 PM

I make 6x8 albums for the almost week long trips we take for my husbands work every year or so. 

• janygb143 likes this

#14 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:52 PM

I use PL in 2 ways, and make digital pages for everything else.
1. Travel albums. We spend so much time and money on trips, it feels weird not to document it somehow, but instead of trying to plan out tons of layouts, I just do PL to capture the trip. One spread per day, using only Design A for the main spread and inserts for everything else. I design the cards before we leave, handwrite them while we travel, and come back and stick them in along with ephemera and pics. I get trips scrapbooked within a few weeks of getting home (except for the trip we took in October.. That's still on my shelf!)

2. Monthly, everyday life. Again, one Design A spread per month for the main highlights/events. (I pick the pics and do the journaling at the end of the month). I limit myself one or two Core Kits for the main spread (title cards and 3x4s), and decide on a color theme for each month. For inserts of everyday life bits/journaling, I use baseball card protectors. That gives me a chance to play with paper/scrapbooky stuff/stamps, and capture in-the-moment journaling for stories that might get lost at the end of the month.

They've both worked really well for me since 2012! Hope that gives you some ideas :)
  • Melissa and anandi like this

#15 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:46 AM

Oh, one other thing I do for PL when I "get behind" - if something cute happens with my kids, or someone says something funny, I just write it on a 3x4 card (usually a plain grid or simple design) and keep it until I'm ready to work on that month's spread.  So I have a few cards each month "waiting" with some of that everyday stuff I might otherwise forget when I am doing the spreads a month or two later.

• janygb143, Erica Hettwer, Janet White and 2 others like this

#16 ruby73162

ruby73162

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:10 PM

I would have to say I'm non-traditional as well. I take many pictures of the Grands and usually do one or two, sometimes more traditional 12 x 12 layouts, but then I have a lot of pics left over, so I put them in the pocket pages and make my own (for the most part) 3 x 4 and 4 x 6 cards. I complete those layouts as well. Then they all go into the same album but with a little less work than the big layouts.

I sometimes place the cards in the pockets and wait for inspiration to add to the 3 x 4 and 4 x 6 cards. I cut files on my Pazzles machine as well or custom cut out each child's name.    just some ideas....

#17 BrendaScraps

BrendaScraps

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:03 AM

I really hit a point a couple years ago where I knew I had to do something different scrapbook wise.  I had so many pictures that I loved but that weren't really 12x12 page quality that I didn't know what to do, but I was really hesitant to try PL because I felt it didn't allow for really highlighting the great photos.  Then the lightbulb went on in my head, and I realized I could stop looking at how everyone else was doing it, and totally do PL my own way.  Now I do a 12x12 layout in a 12x12 page protector if I have a photo or photos that I think need a traditional page, and for the day to day, not awesome but tell the story photos I use one of the other page protector designs.  I usually average a layout a week, sometimes more, sometimes only a layout in two weeks.  I don't stress about time between layouts and I don't use the Week 1, Week 2 thing.  

Most common question I get is what do I do if I have a 12x12 layout on one side, but I don't want/need 12x12 on the other side.  In that case I do a digital PL layout for the other side and print out and slip in there.  Super easy, especially with the IPhone app.

I don't use all PL brand cards.  I have more supplies than I'll ever use so I like to cut my own cardstock & patterned paper and decorate them up a little with my supplies sometimes.  

• Melissa and MiaScraps like this

#18 hannaly

hannaly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 06:09 AM

Oh, BrendaScraps, thank you so much! I don't know why in the world it didn't occur to me to use a digital layout on the other side of a 12x12 - but that's exactly the problem I've been struggling with.  More broadly, I've been stuck on the question in general: what to do when I don't have the same size and orientation photos for the back side that I had on the front side of a pocket page protector.  I have always done my scrapbooks with spreads and always used the back sides of the page before.  thank you!!!  The biggest problem in general that I have had in moving into pocket scrapbooking has been the incredibly deep "ruts" i am in from how I have done scrapbooking for so very many years in the past.  Thank you!

• Julie Paradise likes this

#19 effie

effie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:55 AM

I've been working in a 6x8 album this year and have gone through a couple variations ... used the Becky Higgins for Michaels weekly calendar pages for a couple months for daily journaling, with a pocket page (generally the 2 3x4 card and 1 4x6 card ones) between each week. Which worked for a while, but I found I was loving the pages I was putting in between that didn't go in the page protectors. So when I saw BH had journal pages out for the 6x8 size I got a pack of those and just started trying them out as the base for my page. Great for journaling as mostly they're lined already. And since I generally like 1 photo pages I just layer up some papers, pop on some embellishments and off I go. So its a sort of PL/minibook hybrid. And I think it will work well with my selphy. It annoyed me that the photos aren't QUITE 4x6 when I was putting them in the pockets. But outside of the pockets I don't think I'll care that they're just slightly smaller than 4x6. We'll see how it goes!!

• Julie Paradise likes this

#20 tortagialla

tortagialla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 12:47 PM

So interesting to hear everyone's method and style of scrapbooking. I think it's interesting now that we have these specific categories and types of scrapbooking - PL style, layouts, etc... back in the day it was just all scrapbooking, no? haha...

• mshanhun and dayb like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users