4 replies to this topic

#1 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 11:25 AM

Does USPS charge extra for cards with a few embellishments? like brads, buttons, maybe some foam tape... I've heard conflicting reports :) and do the cards get mangled in regular white envelopes?

#2 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 12:31 PM

Yes, they will charge extra if the envelope is not flat enough because it cannot go through the regular letter equipment or it will get torn. It is sort of subjective in that the person handling the mail usually eyeballs it and only measures it if they feel like they need to. If you mail from home, it can be returned to you for extra postage. If you go in, they should be able to measure it for you and let you know for sure. But again, some workers may let something through that another may not. I think they have tool they can slip a letter through to test it though.

This may help:

Use these rulers and guide boxes to measure letters and large envelopes.

Once a piece of mail exceeds the maximum length, height, or thickness of one shape, it automatically gets classified as the next largest shape.

Minimum size for Postcards and Letters
5" long x 3-1/2" high

Maximum size for Postcards
6" long x 4-1/4" high

Maximum size for Letters
11-1/2" long x 6-1/8" high

Maximum thickness for Letters
1/4" thick

Maximum thickness for Large Envelopes
3/4" thick

Large Envelopes exceed one of the letter size maximum dimensions.

Unusual Shapes and Sizes
Sometimes a piece of mail requires additional postage because it is a certain shape or size that is difficult to process on mail sorting machines.
To make sure you’re paying the correct postage, visit pe.usps.com. These are examples of mail that could require additional postage:
· Square envelopes
· Envelopes on which the address is written parallel to the shorter edge square

spacer.gif

• janygb143 likes this

Wendyzine Scraps

Studio Wendy @ Scrapbookgraphics  •  Photoshop & Elements Instructor

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#3 JulesP

JulesP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:07 PM

I mailed two handmade Mother's Day cards (A2) just this morning. Because I had used several enamel dots per card I took them to the counter. I was charged 0.70 cents each, the extra being for hand stamped (rather than going thru the machine). To me its worth the extra effort to walk in and let the person behind the counter make that determination rather than have them returned (and late) or torn up in the machine. I work hard on my cards and want them to arrive undamaged, kwim?
  • janygb143 likes this

#4 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:32 AM

Great reminder to pop an extra stamp on my handmade card going out today.

• janygb143 likes this

Wendyzine Scraps

Studio Wendy @ Scrapbookgraphics  •  Photoshop & Elements Instructor

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#5 LynninStLouis

LynninStLouis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 02:00 PM

If my cards have any bumpy embellishments a all, I add a piece of thin chipboard to the side with the embellishments and add a 2nd class stamp to my first class stamp. I don't mind the extra postage because I know when I create the card that it will require a little extra postage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • janygb143 likes this

www.stamperosity.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users