#1 jemi

jemi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationWest Michigan

Posted 31 December 2014 - 06:08 AM

I'm retired and have a small family. I love making cards and have so many card ideas saved, but have limited people to send to. I know about Operation Write Home. Can someone suggest other places that collect cards to give to people who want to send cards but don't have the funds/mobility to get their own?  I'm thinking of everyday cards so people who aren't well can send kindness to others, like Holidays, Birthdays, Get Well. Rehabilitation facilities? Assisted Living facilities? Hospice? It is sometimes difficult for people facing serious challenges of their own to feel connected--they need to wait for people to come to them. This way, they can reach out on their own in such an ordinary way.

• mshanhun likes this

Janet

#2 anniem888

anniem888

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:10 PM

Thank you cards are always appreciated teachers and schools can use them.  Also your favorite nonprofit can also use thank you cards.  I would check with the volunteer coordinator.  I heard on one of my podcasts (sorry PRT not you) that in one town a non profit sends a hand made thank you card to each donor.  If you are part of an organization,church, synagogue, community center etc.  that has a care and concern committee we send out get well, sympathy and new baby cards.  Meals on wheels sends small notes with it's meals from time to time.  Hospitals will include them on meal trays, again check with volunteer coordinator.  If you have dog and cat images the SPCA may be able to use them or a local pet rescue.  

#3 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:39 PM

An assisted living home might be able to pass them out to residents who want to write to family and friends. Or, local scouting troops could use them to write letters to veterans?

Wendyzine Scraps

Studio Wendy @ Scrapbookgraphics  •  Photoshop & Elements Instructor

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#4 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 11:21 AM

I host a local card-making group (we call it Spark a Smile) every month, and we donate all over the place! Just contact the organization/business and see what they could use. We donate both blank cards (for others to send) or postcards with a happy sentiment.

The hospital loves to receive postcards from us, and they can distribute them constantly. The juvenile court also requests cards from us sometimes for things like National Adoption Day, or April is Volunteer Appreciation Month (or something like that). Every Thanksgiving we provide cards for the local free meal (300+ people). We've also sent to national card drives. Jennifer McGuire periodically hosts card drives (in fact, that's who inspired our project :))

Here's our blog for more ideas/info: www.sparkasmile.com. We just celebrated our 5th birthday, so there's lots of inspiration there :) happy card-making!
  • mshanhun likes this

#5 janpfh

janpfh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSunny Arizona

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:39 AM

I know that there are a number of groups in the Glendale, AZ, area who make cards for the Hospice centers.  Personally, I volunteer with an organization called Packages From Home and we send cards to the troops as well, although not in the volume of OWH.  We mostly concentrate on four big holidays (Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, and Christmas) as well as birthdays, but it's a great place for me to take my cards when I get on a "binge" of cardmaking.

• janygb143 and mshanhun like this

#6 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:14 PM

I love this thread! Our local MOPS group always needs cards for guest speakers.

Also the local women's shelter takes cards for mothers to send to their children

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users