3 replies to this topic

#1 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:32 AM

I don't know if this topic has already been covered or not, but I'm a traditional scrapbooker, and I'm seriously considering Project Life-style memory keeping in 2015. I'd like some advice from all of you who do PL as well as referrals to good blogs and other resources for a beginner like me.

I do have a core kit, but I'm also thinking of joining the Paper Camellia club for pocket scrapbooking since I'm already a member of their traditional kit club and like it so much.

What do you recommend supply-wise? What is one of the pitfalls to watch out for? What do you know about this kind of memory-keeping that will help me enjoy it and keep it going?

Thanks in advance, everyone!

• janygb143 likes this

#2 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:58 AM

I've done PL monthly for 2013 and 2014, and I think you kind of have to ask yourself a few questions before you decide what supplies to get/hoard. Do you want to do monthly or weekly, or other? (Keep in mind that one year will fill at least 1-2 albums! One of the pitfalls for me.) Do you want PL to take the place of some of your traditional pages, or in addition? What kinds of things do you want to record there? Do you want the album to have a cohesive look in the end?

For me, I started PL because I make 100% digital layouts, but I make cards. I wanted a place to save the cute little bits and bobs that I collect for cards and the ephemera from daily life. I was also feeling left out when I looked at blogs etc, lol. I'm horrible about printing my pages/photos, so PL forces me to print at least 7/month and have something tangible for my family to see. It also gets my handwriting out there, since I use fonts for my page journaling.

As for supplies, the first year I used BH grid cards and decorated with stuff from my card stash, and I LOVE that book. I think if I had time, I could do it like that every year. But, I needed a list to give to my secret Santa last year, so I asked for PL Honey edition and it worked out. We added a kid this year. With the core kit, I don't have to dedicate any time to get the "framework" of the album together, and if I want to/have time to add embellishments, I can (I don't. Ha).

PL is so flexible, it's freaky. Good luck! Hope that helps and that I didnt just overwhelm you! Any questions, just ask :)
  • Melissa and anandi like this

#3 Melissa

Melissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:48 PM

Thank you for your response! I appreciate the advice, and I think I would probably have trouble doing a whole spread per week, so I'd probably go with monthly. Or maybe I would just adjust to how busy things are. I didn't have much time in 2014 to scrapbook. In fact, for the events of 2014, so far, only 1 page got done, which is really unusual for me. I'm thinking that slipping things into pockets as I go, then printing photos to go with the journaling once a month. It's definitely something that requires some thought, and thank you for giving me some direction to think about.

• janygb143 likes this

#4 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:33 PM

Another thought- If monthly seems like "not enough", don't underestimate the value of inserts! To me, anything smaller than a 12x12 page is considered an insert. (Or maybe use an expanded page, where it's a 12x12 with a flap... Saw those at michaels the other day for the first time!) like, If you have a long journaling block, add a 6x12, or use a square/Instagram insert. I basically always have an 8.5x11 baseball card insert for every month, where I stick in tiny vertical pictures, jotted notes (truly in-the-moment journaling about daily stuff), or scrappy experiments. It gives me a place to be creative, if I want :)

Ps. Not to say that PL is quick... It still takes me a couple hours to pick 7 photos and write journaling, but I'm slow and have two little distracting kids. Lol
  • Melissa and anandi like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users